RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

CD Jewel Cases

Old 02-13-2002, 11:49 PM

CD Jewel Cases

If you like to give your clients a cd of their pictures, then you might find this interesting. My neighbor works in data processing and one of their clients is a bank. Every day, they get cd's in cases from this bank and they just use the cd and throw it away.

She brought me over a big box of jewel cases. They have a small sticker on the end. Anyway, if you want a free source for jewel cases, you might find out where your bank outsources. This was a big bank and I live in a large metropolitan area so I don't know how this would work elsewhere.

FWIW

Sharon
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-14-2002, 11:11 AM

Hey good idea Sharon and the price is right.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2002, 09:47 AM

CD jewel cases

Just a note about CD cases - I have one of those CD labelers and put my business label on all of my CDs that go to clients. It's a good way to look professional, and may serve as a little extra advertising. The software is easy to use, you just import text and graphics.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2002, 10:08 AM

CC
I have seen that software but didn't pick it up. Do you have to print it out on some sticky circle labels that attach to the CD? If so where do you keep getting those labels?
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2002, 10:31 AM

CD Labels

I go to an office supply store - like Staples or Office Depot - and buy the brand "Neato" Photo Quality Matte Finish CD Labels. They come 100 in a box and are used with the MediaFACEII software. They have a website at www.fellowes.com

I have used these labels for lots of projects, not just photos. Have fun with it - you can get very creative.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2002, 12:54 PM

I use the same brand. I usually put one of the pictures that I had worked on and their name on the cd label with my business name on the bottom. Everyone thinks it is so tricky (so very easy) and it was a great 24 dollars initial investment! I got mine at Staples.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2002, 04:14 PM

I use the fellows lables as well, makes the CDs look professional. I use the high gloss ones though I just prefer them. With the Media face software you can add as much text as you wish even have it curved which is a nice touch. I usually put a picture on it,an index of the CD and a little advertisement at the bottom or around the outside edge of each cd. Clients seem to appreciate the professional look.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2002, 06:03 PM

There is a school of thought that those labels will shorten the life of a cd. Because the side we stick that label on is the most fragile. Something about the adhesive corroding the finish. I'm just throwing this out, I have no scientific proof.

I don't use the labels because I could never get them on straight.

Sharon
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2002, 06:45 PM

Another downside to the lables is that they seem to bother some CD drives.

I have two drives on my computer, one is an UltraPlex40max, and the other is a Yamaha CD-R. The Plextor does just fine with anything I feed it, but the Yamaha has trouble with disks with the Fellows lables. The disk never spins up. It actually sounds like it is rubbing something in the drive.

It may be just a bad combination of a thick CD plus the lable, or something like that, but I just thought I'd mention it. It was a real pain to have to remove the lables from about half a dozen CD when I finally figured out why they suddenly stopped working.

--tks
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2002, 07:16 PM

Good to know about the thick cd problem...I have noticed some are much thicker than others. I hope that the label issue doesn't do to much damage because I have sent out a bunch :s
To get the labels on straight there is a little plastic label holder with a center to match up with your cd hole and it holds the sticky side label up so you can press on label evenly...looks cheap but works great!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs