RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Are retoucher's a dying breed?

Old 03-01-2007, 06:05 PM

Are retoucher's a dying breed?

Everywhere I look there seems to be a lesser need for a retoucher and more need for photographers and designers with retouching skills. Just what to know what everyone else is experiencing.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2007, 09:08 PM

Re: Are retoucher's a dying breed?

WOW! 33 people have viewed so far and no response.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2007, 09:10 PM

Are photographers a dying breed? I mean everyone now has a camera, a computer and PhotoShop.

The answer is no. Designers should have some retouching abilities. Photographers, due to the nature of digital also have or come by skills as a necessity. There still is and always will be a need for high end retouchers. The low end is where there is no need and it's also why retouching houses eveywhere are more and more having their applicants take involved tests.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2007, 09:29 PM

Now we're getting somewhere.
Ant, I agree with you totally. Could you please recommend some retouching sites that show the high-end skills that are in demand. So far, the only sites that I have seen that exemplify these skills are THOMASCANNYSTUDIO AND
DOUG FISHER.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2007, 10:10 PM

http://www.industrialcolor.com/home.html
http://www.4thfloorny.com/
http://www.nucleusimaging.com
http://www.boxstudios.com/
http://www.backbonenyc.com
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2007, 11:05 PM

Sorry Ant, you gonna have to do better then that.
Been in the biz a long time and know the difference between high-end retouching and high-end photography. I bet you have a hard time getting past the gate keepers to develop a portfolio to showcase your work.

Thanks anyway
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2007, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mche
Sorry Ant, you gonna have to do better then that.
Been in the biz a long time and know the difference between high-end retouching and high-end photography. I bet you have a hard time getting past the gate keepers to develop a portfolio to showcase your work.

Thanks anyway

What the hell are you talking about? I listed high end retouching houses. I don't know who doug fisher is, but thomas canny studio is retouching also. What did you want to see? If you have been in business a long time, what have you been doing?

Photography? Gatekeepers?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2007, 01:54 PM

It is not my wish to pick a fight about a topic that probably no retoucher would like to discuss or consider. I appreciate your honest answer and the links provided. To answer your question concerning what I have been doing
.......I was retouching Christie Brinkley when you were running around in sh#&ty diapers.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2007, 03:26 PM

mche
There will always be a need for hi end retouchers no matter how involved a designer or photographer gets involved with doing it themselves.

Whether there will be a lot of these hi end retouchers is another story. Just like a lot of the higher end post production houses that are consolidating, hi end retouchers will be focusing on making a few clients happy if they are freelancers. There is to much of the give it to me quick and well done going on for there to be large client lists anymore. Even larger houses with multiple hi end retouchers on site are having problems with this.

Personally, I turn down more work because of this attitude than I take. I have a level of excellence that I have work to achieve since the very early 80's that I am not willing to compromise just because someone thinks it is easier because it is digital.

Chris
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2007, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mche
It is not my wish to pick a fight about a topic that probably no retoucher would like to discuss or consider. I appreciate your honest answer and the links provided. To answer your question concerning what I have been doing
.......I was retouching Christie Brinkley when you were running around in sh#&ty diapers.
Not arguing or looking for a fight. just have no clue what you meant by:

"Sorry Ant, you gonna have to do better then that.
Been in the biz a long time and know the difference between high-end retouching and high-end photography. I bet you have a hard time getting past the gate keepers to develop a portfolio to showcase your work."

what is it that you are looking for? I posted only retouching, not photogs sites.

Gate keeper and portfolio? What is it that you are trying to say here?

"..I was retouching Christie Brinkley when you were running around in sh#&ty diapers."

Is that right? Yet you can't recognize a website for what it is? You want to get personal? I'm 35 and have been doing this in NYC, professionally for 8 years.

probably no retoucher would like to discuss or consider
Ones who aren't any good or don't have real skills above the norm perhaps, nor anything else to fall back on. If there were an actual pro retouching forum somewhere you'd get more discussion, but there isn't. Hence, we are both here - killing time and feeling good about our work..

edit to remove some snarky-ness

edit again: less snarky

Last edited by Ant; 03-02-2007 at 03:46 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs