RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Retouch Pricing !!!

Old 04-10-2007, 09:22 AM

Retouch Pricing !!!

HI ...
I have to put a price for my retouching services, and if you guys can help me to make a decision what price to give to my customer I'll be very grateful...

I'm not a newbie in the retouching business, as a matter of fact i retouch and restore photos on daily basis, however the situation is kind a complicated...
It's a new customer, from the states. And it kind a sound that He's looking for a cheap price, also the work that needs to be done isn't much. My prices for retouching aren't so high, approx from 30-75$, depends form the work needed to be done.
I was wondering what prices are there now on the market, for a quick touchup's...
Thanks in advance, I'll appreciate any suggestions..
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-10-2007, 04:57 PM

Re: Retouch Pricing !!!

I can tell you what the high-end rates in NYC city are, not sure that will help at all, but might give you a point of reference: the best shops charge $250 or more -- sometimes you'll see a firm charging 175, but either that is due to immense volume or the quality of their work isn't very good.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-10-2007, 06:03 PM

I imagine a lot of it has to do with what needs to be done, and what the images will be used for.

For instance, a retouch job for a website is a lot easier than one for a magazine cover..

Kyle
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-11-2007, 07:04 AM

I think that it's kind a good idea to give a low rate price, cause i sense that the customer looks for a low price, and hopefully will get him as a regular customer and charge my services at normal rates...

Thanks guys for your advices...
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-11-2007, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i.ilievski
I think that it's kind a good idea to give a low rate price, cause i sense that the customer looks for a low price, and hopefully will get him as a regular customer and charge my services at normal rates...

Thanks guys for your advices...
Unfortunately, starting the guy at a low rate often means keeping him at a low rate. You could offer him a "new client" pricing, so he understands what your normal fees are, and perhaps after seeing the quality of your work, he may be willing to pay for it. Although the market should dictate your pricing, it's important to make sure that it is you and not the client who determines what you charge. Also, if you charge a low rate and he is extremely nit-picky, is it worth your time to offer such a discount?

Good luck.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-11-2007, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayNads
Unfortunately, starting the guy at a low rate often means keeping him at a low rate.
I understand the risk of putting a low rate for a new customer, however I also know how to judge my customer how much is he willing to pay (it's a feeling that i develop through the years ), and somethimes it's more important to give something for free or at low rate, and to overcharge another services, it's a balance that must be obtained...
at least this is the way i look to it...
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-12-2007, 07:32 AM

Does you client want an hourly rate or rates per each kind of retouching, such as a price for whitening eye, whitening teeth, removing stray hairs, changing backgrounds ...

I have been asked what I would charge and I haven't come up with a fare competitive rate.

good luck
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-13-2007, 12:59 AM

I'm interested in your answers as well. There are often so many factors as to what to charge, and so many consequences for each action taken. I don't mean to threadjack, but here is my brief situation.

I"m a graphic designer for Victoria's Secret currently. I do a lot of in house photo retouching to sell a concept. We then send our images to a professional retouching company in New York. The price they charge us is extremely high, let's round to, 5 digit thousands, for a complicated job. I am starting relationships with business for photo-retouching, 1 business being a large exotic car dealership. They're inventory is easily in the double digit millions, as they can house around 75 cars. If i were doing WEB ONLY retouching of images to help them sell, what would a good going rate be? I am fairly young, but am also fairly talented at retouching, and have been "in the game" for around 4 years, and the Victoria's Secret work makes me a little more high-profile. Thoughts?

I think the advice given so far contains good insight. It depends on the client. You wouldn't charge a grandmother $200 to retouch one family photo that will take you 15 minutes, but you also wouldn't charge a large corporation only $100/hr if they're going to end up using the image long-term for a campaign. I guess i'm still a little in left field as for what to quote. Although, i applaud the advice to offer a new customer rate. That alleviates the tension of raising rates rather significantly later.

Thanks for the input,
Ryan
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2007, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathyH View Post
Does you client want an hourly rate or rates per each kind of retouching, such as a price for whitening eye, whitening teeth, removing stray hairs, changing backgrounds ...

I have been asked what I would charge and I haven't come up with a fare competitive rate.

good luck
In my own opinion you can charge your service depending on the kind of images and the number of hours required to achieve the desired results
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2007, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mchilly View Post
In my own opinion you can charge your service depending on the kind of images and the number of hours required to achieve the desired results
I do agree with that, but that goes only for one time job, not for constant countinous work relation with certain company of photographer...
the thing i ussualy do is, listen to the customer very carefully when we bargain for the pricing, and i usully don't came up with a price at that particular moment, but i do a little research on the customer first, what exacly doesh he work, and how much money he gets for his work, that way i closely determine the price he is willing to pay, and I allways put up a 5% more on the price i want (customers allways want to bargain like crasy, esspecialy big companies)...
basicaly I calculate the rate based on how time consuming is the job, plus the importance of the work (cover page of book or comer page of a magazine,poster or a bilboard, it the same work but bilboards requere more detailed work and is much more time consuming)...
I really don't want to be less paid , but cause i"m form Macedonia, companies allways go for the lowest possible rate they can't think of it...

Here in Macedonia we can work for any rate, but we try to keep up with the world (not like India)...
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs