RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Anyone here ever worked with Quad Graphics NY?

Old 05-07-2007, 03:05 PM

Re: Anyone here ever worked with Quad Graphics NY?

Great debate Lithodia! eh eh! Benny is right on many accounts though. Lithodia, you'll be fine! You gotta start somewhere.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-08-2007, 01:59 PM

Good Day,
My first job out of college was with Quad in Boston. If you can swing it I'd recommend it. The pay was peanuts at first, but it escalated quickly. I just couldn't hack the hours. If you're single and willing -go for it. They work on a fireman's schedule. 7-7, 12 hour shifts, 4 days on, 3 days off...3 days on 4 days off. They also rotate from days to nights every six months. It was a great learning experience that opened the door to opportunities that I may not have had otherwise. I currently do all of the color for the Super Bowl, Pro Bowl, as well as USTA programs. I also have some solid friendships from my time at Quad.
Cheers
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-09-2007, 01:12 AM

Say, Mr. Quad Employee, I have a question. If you don't work for Imaging, just "with" every now and then, that means you aren't a retoucher. And if you're not a retoucher, why are you surfing this forum?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-09-2007, 09:23 PM

Well ive only been working with them for 2 weeks now and i must say its not bad at all. I know that in other states its crazy and the new york office is way more laid back over here in terms of attire. My hours are really good and the starting pay is good as well. I cant speak for all the companys plants, but the people here are really nice and easy to work with.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-10-2007, 10:07 AM

Hi Lithodia,

Ive been following this thread and Im gla everything worked out for you.

I dont really know to much about Quad, but I know a few people at their Blue Soho location (which I was told was part of Quad, but Im not 100% sure). They all seemed like really nice people, and they do some really great work.

Good luck, I hope everything works out for you

Later
WP
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-29-2010, 01:51 PM

And, the print industry continues to wither. I find it more of a coincidence that this was announced the day before the Apple IPad was introduced to the world. That thing is a magazine and newspaper publisher's dream, byassing the ever rising printing and shipping costs they have to deal with. Looks like the Quadrucci's think so, too.
But, at least the stock is going to be real stock and valued by the market when the deal goes through. I wonder what it will be worth........probably not as much as the special family class Bs, I'll bet.

WSJ

BUSINESS
JANUARY 26, 2010

TWO BIG PRINTERS EXPECT TO MERGE

Privately held Quad/Graphics Inc. of the U.S. is expected to acquire Canadian rival World Color Press Inc. for roughly $1.3 billion to $1.4 billion, said people familiar with the matter, in a deal that would create North America's second-largest commercial printer by sales, behind industry giant R.R. Donnelley & Sons Co.

Under the plan, these people said, shareholders of Toronto-listed World Color, which prints such magazines as Sports Illustrated and Rolling Stone, as well as the Crate & Barrel catalog and Yellow Book directory, would get a 40% stake in the newly combined company. The new company would then list on a U.S. stock exchange, they said, in effect bringing Quad/Graphics, whose clients include Newsweek, GQ and the L.L. Bean catalog, to the public market for the first time since its founding in 1971.

Quad/Graphics, based in Sussex, Wis., has 11,500 employees and 11 plants, most of them in the U.S. Its annual sales are around $2 billion. Montreal-based World Color, with a market capitalization of around $730 million, has about 18,000 employees and annual sales of around $3 billion, with about 30% of that coming from Canada and Latin America.

If investors value the new company at the same multiple to earnings as they do R.R. Donnelley, it would be worth roughly $5.25 billion. It could be worth more or less depending on market conditions at the time it is listed. The combined firm would have about $2 billion in debt.

The two companies hope to close the deal this summer, people familiar with the matter said. The companies estimate their combined 2010 earnings would be around $875 million, including cost savings.

Under the plan, the Quadracci family, which owns Quad/Graphics, would control the combined company after it went public through ownership of class B shares, these people said. A substantial block of shares would also be owned by Quad/Graphics's employee stock ownership plan.

Quad/Graphics Chief Executive Joel Quadracci, 41 years old, would be CEO of the combined company. Mr. Quadracci's father Harry launched Quad/Graphics nearly four decades ago with a rented printing press in a millwork factory outside Milwaukee. Aside from printing, Quad/Graphics is known for its on-site health clinics. Today, a subsidiary, QuadMed, manages such clinics for other Milwaukee-area companies, such as Miller Brewing.

World Color's CEO, Mark Angelson, 58, is expected to be named to the board of the new company and oversee the integration of the companies, people familiar with the matter said. He is a former CEO of R.R. Donnelley, which has annual sales of around $10 billion.

World Color was formerly known as Quebecor World, before that company filed for bankruptcy in January 2008. It emerged from bankruptcy court in July 2009. Its largest holders include distressed-debt investors, such as Avenue Capital Management , which owns about a 20% stake and Centerbridge Partners, with about 9%, according to recent securities filings.

J.P. Morgan Chase & Co., which advised Quad/Graphics on the deal, will commit to $1.2 billion in financing to refinance debt and pay off other obligations. Quad/Graphics was also advised by law firms Foley & Lardner LLP and Torys LLP. Morgan Stanley and law firms Sullivan & Cromwell LLP and Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP advised World Color.

Last edited by Benny Profane; 01-29-2010 at 01:58 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-29-2010, 02:34 PM

i wonder how many people will be out of a job once this goes through...
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-19-2010, 11:23 PM

Ha. I work at Quad now. I have survived a couple of layoffs- and a lot of publications have closed since I started working there in 2007. Wow. Crazy. I am in the process of creating tutorials for the company and I retouch there.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-19-2010, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishfulPixel View Post
Hi Lithodia,

Ive been following this thread and Im gla everything worked out for you.

I dont really know to much about Quad, but I know a few people at their Blue Soho location (which I was told was part of Quad, but Im not 100% sure). They all seemed like really nice people, and they do some really great work.

Good luck, I hope everything works out for you

Later
WP
Blue Soho is 100% part of QUAD Victoria Secret web is done down there now and its supposed to be our hi-end studio too. Who do you know down at Blue?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-20-2010, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
Many managers in that company are only dedicated to their excel sheets and sucking up to the next guy sucking up. You won't matter, unless you want to be like them.
That's EVERY company. The bigger the company, the more blatant it is. What hey. What'ya goin do?

Benny, you make it sound like getting a job is a bad thing. You also make it sound like Lithodia will be forced to do mediocre work, and learn nothing except how to "suck up" and retouch VS a$$ zits.

ALL TRUE! (in fact sucking up is fast becoming an art form in large companies)

My advice to Lithodia is to TAKE THE JOB. Go in, suck up, retouch mostly easy stuff, learn A LOT about everything (see suck up), get insurance, a 401k and be thankful that you work for one of the companies who's BUYING someone else. Somehow, keep the freelance deal at home and double dip.

Also, Victoria Secret is also being done at WC Premedia in Schaumburg. They're nervous about Quad right now, not India.

Cheers.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs