Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

The life of a professional retoucher

Old 10-05-2011, 11:34 PM
Re: The life of a professional retoucher

I gotta say, I love and appreciate all the posts in this thread. I can honestly say that I'm taking bits and pieces from all the experience and advice shared in here and will apply them to my own future experience in the field of retouching.

I'm currently a student at International Academy of Design and Technology attaining my A.S. in Graphic Design. Reading DayGraphics' post kinda makes me wish I'd come across that very post before I enrolled. LOL! This isn't to say that post education is bad, or a waste of time, but essentially in this field, it can be. Sadly, the art of retouching isn't as specialized as that of a Neurosurgeon or Rocket Scientist; meaning ANYone can play around in Photoshop long enough to gain the same knowledge as someone whose gotten the schooling in the field yet hasn't "played around" as much. Nonetheless, it doesn't make sense for me to quit now. Five more classes and I'll have my associate's. Again, thanx for the great posts and wish me luck!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2011, 12:45 AM
Re: The life of a professional retoucher

Once you land your first job TJ, it is likely that no one will, ever again, want to know your qualifications! Your work samples will tell them all they need to know. The whole business has changed in the last 20 years and will change exponentially over the next decade. Like you I studied graphics at college but if was was starting over, I'd learn a solid 3D package like Maya, StudioMax etc. I'm a bit too old for that caper now though so I buy it in when I need it. Good luck with your course and remember to have fun - it beats working in a coal mine!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs