RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Starting out and Zeroflaws.com?

Old 07-24-2007, 05:43 PM

Newbie Starting out and Zeroflaws.com?

Hi all,
This is my first post. I just joined this forum. I, like some others, never realized this site existed, and I'm so glad that it does. I hope to learn a lot from it and everyone here. I've been an assistant to a wedding photographer for the past 2 1/2 years and doing a lot of post-processing, retouching and have done some restoration work on the side as well. I'd really like to pursue a digital retouching career. I recently applied for a digital retouching position with a temp agency called Career Blazers in NYC (maybe some have heard of it?) but, I realized that I made a typo in my resume! doh! stupid stupid stupid...they probably won't be calling me anytime soon....So, I'm not sure where else to look now. I tried searching the posts about where to look for jobs, but I couldn't come up with anything. I am fairly new to forums in general, I will try again, but if anyone would like to give me some advice, please do :-)

Also, I came across this website, Zeroflaws.com, and was wondering if anyone ever heard of it? They are hiring "Editors", retouchers, but I'm not sure if it's legit and if it is, if it's worth it. If you've never heard of it, check the site out, let me know what you think.

Well, I'm off to search the forums some more. Hope to be chatting with some of you soon!

Lee
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-24-2007, 09:31 PM

Re: Starting out and Zeroflaws.com?

it looks like it could be a good way to get some experience under your belt...
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2007, 12:58 AM

hmmm....just one reply....I feel like I've got cooties or something :-)
Pixelzombie - I was thinking that Zeroflaws would be a good place to get some more experience, but I just don't know if the place is legit. I've tried researching about it on the net, but came up with nothing.

Anybody else out there know anything Zeroflaws ?(I mean, working for them and all) If it's a legit company, how much do they actually pay? They won't say on the site.

Also, I wanted to know how some people got started with retouching/doing digital art and your 'journey' along this path.

Any suggestions on where I can learn (possibly get certified, but not go to overprice schools like SVA or Parsons) everything about retouching/digital art in the NYC/Westchester area?
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2007, 06:20 PM

I do not think I would be sending anyone my social insurance number.
also they are not to specific what they pay you.You should really be careful especially with your personal info.Also why do you need to do one of there jobs,why cant you send a sample of your work,who knows maybe thats how they make money by getting people to do sample jobs.

just my opinion zganie
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2007, 06:46 PM

>>>>>>> So, I'm not sure where else to look now.

Well, you could try the Yellow pages NY, Monster.com, craigslist, angieslist, contact departments at schools in NY... on and on, Ad agencies, magazines....photographer studios.. anywhere.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2007, 08:44 PM

Zganie, thanks for your opinion. I too am a bit weary about giving my SS# to some unknown company - I guess I should just trust my instinct as well.

Smak - I have been looking on Craigslist, but haven't come up with anything recently. Tried Monster too, no luck. And some other places, too. I guess when I said "I'm not sure where else to look now" I wasn't being literal, I just said that because I was just feeling low. I haven't been able to find anything and I was also feeling down about the resume thing. But, thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2007, 09:33 PM

Have you Googled something like zeroflaws plus scam or review experience payment etc.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-28-2007, 11:35 PM

Smak - I've Googled Zeroflaws, but I haven't tried it with the other words, I will give that a try, thanks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2007, 06:23 PM

Smile Re: Starting out and Zeroflaws.com?

Lee,

Thank you for inquiring about our site. My name is Lucas. I am the founder of Zero Flaws inc. which used to be PhotoChop.com until a recent dispute with Adobe over the name. As a photo retoucher my self, I know how difficult it can be to get into the professional market. Communities like this site are a wonderful resource as I am sure you found.

To speak to the social security number. All (law abiding) companies in the United States are required to 10-99 independent contractors for earnings of $600 or more annually. Since we only hire U.S. contractors, it makes sense for us to require it.

We are currently undergoing a site overhaul and a large SEO/SEM campaign launch due out in early September. I hope that you are able to check back in and see the great improvements.

We welcome any feedback and encourage you to apply as an editor. However, because we currently have over 120 qualified editors and a growing consumer and wholesale business we do not have any openings for editors. We will still take applications and approve them as the client base grows (again something we plan on doing next month).

Well I hope this information helped. Have a great day,

Lucas Dexter
Founder
www.ZeroFlaws.com
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2007, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas@ZeroFlaws View Post
Lee,

Thank you for inquiring about our site. My name is Lucas. I am the founder of Zero Flaws inc. which used to be PhotoChop.com until a recent dispute with Adobe over the name. As a photo retoucher my self, I know how difficult it can be to get into the professional market. Communities like this site are a wonderful resource as I am sure you found.

To speak to the social security number. All (law abiding) companies in the United States are required to 10-99 independent contractors for earnings of $600 or more annually. Since we only hire U.S. contractors, it makes sense for us to require it.

We are currently undergoing a site overhaul and a large SEO/SEM campaign launch due out in early September. I hope that you are able to check back in and see the great improvements.

We welcome any feedback and encourage you to apply as an editor. However, because we currently have over 120 qualified editors and a growing consumer and wholesale business we do not have any openings for editors. We will still take applications and approve them as the client base grows (again something we plan on doing next month).

Well I hope this information helped. Have a great day,

Lucas Dexter
Founder
www.ZeroFlaws.com
Lucas,
Thanks for your reply! I actually wasn't expecting anymore posts from anyone, let alone the founder of Zeroflaws :-)

I understand it's the norm that most jobs require a SS#, but I guess you can't blame me for being a little cautious, especially with the internet and all.
When applying, would it possible to send samples of my own work instead of doing a sample sent from the company?

Thanks again for your reply.

Regards,
Lee
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs