RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Portfolio question

Old 10-19-2007, 07:37 AM

Re: Portfolio question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant View Post
I do, but I don't have that many.
Is that normal then Ant, not to have before and afters of all your images?
Or is that because your folio has images from high profile campaigns and therefore speak for themself more?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2007, 09:26 AM

Depends on what they want to see. Some people may really want to compare your before and afters. Best just to go for that if you're just getting started out. Also, with a myriad of composited elements, it's hard and distracting to put the raws all mish-mashed on the before page. I see people do that and I've done it somewhat on one campaign I did, but meh... Best to just know who you are showing your work to and what they might want to see. If you don't know, ask.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2007, 04:26 PM

Yes big mistake to show them too much different stuff, after a while its impossible to focus. Concentrate on what they are likely to be interested in.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-20-2007, 02:00 AM

Thanks Ant, so much useful knowlege for all of us.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-20-2009, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelzombie View Post
we had a guy come in with a dvd, and he was fumbling and clicking away to get a before and after comparison...he was moving windows like a madman, it was awkward to say the least...
Would making a DVD with before and afters along with video fx and good qaulity music work as part of the portfolio?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-20-2009, 10:26 PM

If you are actually showing a book then 11x14 or 13x19 is appropriate.
DVD's and CD's are clumbsy and it can be awkward if there computer has a problem with it or for some reason the cd is no good.

If showing my book in person I always show one of the sizes I listed. I also provide a DVD for them to keep and browse at there leisure. If it's a big enough client I'll make a smaller book like 4x6 and use at least half of my portfolio images in it. I buy nice little books in that size and they are the same as the big one. And as if I said it's a big client or someone I really want to impress I'll give them that small book to keep with my contact info on the outside.
Sometimes if it's a shoot I REALLY want I will make a set of 4x6 prints on my rag paper and put my contact info on the rear and/or put my "Sweetlight Photography" onto the image so it looks sharp. You will be surprised how many times you go back to visit a client or art director and they have them pinned to the wall.

Hope this helps.

Chris
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-21-2009, 12:11 AM

So, the DVD's and the books are given to the clients or the DVD's/CD'/s Books come back with you?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-21-2009, 02:36 AM

Yeah sorry that was not so clear.

All clients get a DVD to keep. On that disc would be images, client list, and my bio.

The clients that I really wanna snag bad will get a DVD as well but also get one of the small books but most often the little set of prints. The prints are basically self-promos.

Back in the day before digital we spent literally thousands of dollars on having self-promos printed. Now that digital prints are such good quality I always design and make my promos by hand. The hand made promos have a more personal touch and you can pick and choose the images that are relevant to each individual client.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-21-2009, 04:23 AM

Thumbs up Re: Portfolio question

Wow... what you say surprises me a lot. And how many pages and what kind of quality do you use for those gifts? It sounds very expensive to me. Consider I'm from Argentina. The day I would be in the U.S. or Europe, I don't know, I think I will have some kind of hearth attack. I have heard lot of stuff about those countries, plus what I see through the History Channel and the like. Here, we have neither trains, something absolutely important and prolific in those countries. You know, England built trains here, also put the train lines around 1910, then, the English People went to their land again and they left here all the trains and the train lines, also the train stations an such. And they are abandoned here, nobody uses the trains since 1920 more or less. There are just a very few trains that are used only for cargo, but nothing more. So imagine how strange could be for you coming here as so strange for me going to your country. That's a little detail of thousands. The difference is so big that will take kilometers of paper in order to list all of them.
I suppose that an on-line portfolio should be slick as hell in order to obtain clients, I have a picassa web, nothing more than that. It's also faster than hosting a website in Argentina. We don't have symmetrical internet connections, just ADSL via telephone line of 256 Kb/s of upstream and no more than 5 MB of downstream, so making a web site here will run like an exhausted turtle XD However, this is not India, you know. I'm glad I'm not living there.

By the way, don't you know if it's possible hiring some ISP from a first world country? They are not only even faster than the ones from here, also cheaper as hell!!! I have seen connections of 15MB symmetrical ones just for 20 usd per month! Here you have another detail from the big list of differences...
So, what do you think about on-line personal website hosted portfolios? They really matters for clients? Here is mine, if you wonder, just my professional portfolio http://picasaweb.google.es/Quantum3Studio It's more like a demo, the professional stuff is hidden for confidential reasons and showed only if it's really required by some client.

Well, a bit of conversation ^^

Will await your reply

Thanks a lot!

Mart
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs