Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Retouching jobs in UK?

Old 11-16-2007, 03:06 PM
Re: Retouching jobs in UK?

"but still there are lots of retouchers out of London, good enought to London" - never said otherwise saby, in fact I'm sure of it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-08-2007, 09:18 AM
Re: Retouching jobs in UK?

Originally Posted by Markzebra View Post
Its a little hard. London is very protected and extremely competitive in retouching. Its not so much about what you can do, more about who you know. Your hope is to generate GOOD samples, I mean really good. Send them to agencies - try and grab some freelance work, be open, honest.

Yes! What do you mean by very 'protected' Markzebra.
Sorry if I sound a little defensive here but I am from the UK and I am a retoucher. I now live and work in NYC still retouching. And quite frankly I have found the NYC retouching scene more about bs, image, your *skin color, the clothes you wear and who you know etc etc etc not what you know.
But hey.......... what's it's worth here's my 2 cents worth

Salaries in the UK generally suck that's why I am here.
The retouchers i worked with in the UK were all generally very good retouchers. But then again I did work primarily for a prestigious company.

I worked specifically for one company there (Time Atlantic) and was hired completely on my merits as a retoucher but,, yes I was introduced to the company by a friend who already worked there. But believe me if I didn't know what I was doing I'd have been fired (or quit) shortly after. Consequently I stayed there for 3 glorious years.

So ................ for getting work in the UK a contact in the business may help you get an interview but can rarely get you the job or help you keep the job if your work is under par.
Hope all this helps.

So basically if you are ok with a low salary, but love great health medical benefits for free! the UK could be a great place for you to work.

I wish you all the best.

* that's another post for later.

Rich Carter
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs