RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

i'm a photographer - educate me!!

Old 11-27-2007, 05:28 PM

Re: i'm a photographer - educate me!!

I've done quite a few of these assignments (as a photographer) - i.e. weddings, receptions etc.

What I have learned is that Bridge and the new Camera Raw will get you a *long* way - assuming your images are consistent in e.g. whitebalance (otherwise you'll just have to break them down into smaller portions). This will get you done in the whitebalance, temperature, contrast, saturation, exposure and even the "punch" department and a few more if you know what to do.

However, you also mention skincolor which *can* be a science all by itself - and a time consuming one too - which will require individual editing of each of the photos. But - again assuming your images are consistent - this can easily be automated as well.

A totally non-related point.. Why are you shooting that many photos (if you're talking about 1200-1500 photos of one event)?? I've done quite a few weddings and normally come home with about 50 photos max which end out at about 10 max (and happy customers). But then again I don't shoot weddingreceptions - only the couple.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-27-2007, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixel_monkey View Post
What you're looking for is more like a Photoshop production color corrector/technician. According to your posts, the retouchers will need to go through 375 raw files in an hour. Honestly, I don't think an action is able to go through that many raw files in an hour even with a decent system. The images that some retouchers here work on require a day or more to complete. Yes, your line of work would be extremely boring. That's why there are not too many (if there any at all) retouchers are willing to do this type of work.
And here's a little education, no retouchers like to hear from photographers telling them how long an image should get done, because we don't tell them how to shoot.
hi pixel monkey,
i'm so sorry, as I seem to have offended you with my post. i certainly didn't mean to imply i know exactly how long it would take someone to go through the files, simply stating what i've heard is reasonable from others. i know that my production time is about 8 hours to edit in the way i've described...and i know it takes me longer than it should because i sit and reminisce. but, i did want to convey that these are images that can be batched. ie, using a program like bridge or lightroom, you find a setting that works for one image of a series and you apply it to all. how much time is obviously up to the individual, as i've given a timeline of days to complete.

also, i generally use photoshop to batch my sharpening and resizing to 700-900 images at a time with actions, so i'm pretty confident that it can work on more than 375 images an hour (not relevant to this discussion, just saying it's possible).

again, my apologies for causing offense, it was certainly not my intention. i believe i simply may be addressing the wrong audience here.

Peer K -
Yes! That's exactly what I'm talking about. As far as skin-tone, I realize it's a very difficult aspect of editing. In general, I just want the white balance and color balance to turn out reasonably natural given the lighting conditions. Not specific color editing on the skin itself. Many photographers are going for the super saturated look (or very warm, or very cool), and people turn interesting colors in the process....it's a style, but it's not my style. So i'd just ask that the editor be aware of the skin first when addressing white balance/color balance/contrast etc. Unless the event had some weird lighting going on, it shouldn't be a concern most of the time.

As far as why I shoot that many...well, it's just how I shoot. I am there usually 10-12 hours doing everything from make-up, ceremony, formals, portraits, reception...all the way down to the last dance. I love to get a lot of photos of friends and family just being themselves. I agree, it's not traditional wedding photography. But it's what I love to do. Good question though!

Thanks again for the responses...I am certainly learning a lot.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-27-2007, 06:06 PM

I'm confused as to why you'd want jpeg files, jpeg is not a lossless format. You should have tiff files or something shouldn't you? I assume they are intended for print?

As for your questions, I find most photographers generally want to do their own retouching (whether they can or not) so it's nice to know that there are people out there that want to hand it over to someone else. Creative Recruitment agencies will be able to put you into contact with retouchers that will work on a freelance basis.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-28-2007, 01:23 AM

What's your game, photographer person? You seem to be hip to the software out there, and know what you want, so why are you spending so much time here? Get to work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-28-2007, 03:21 AM

Funkimunkey - Well, jpeg is what the clients expect, what the online hosting company expects, what the album design service expects, etc. And 99.9% of the printing i'll do isn't large enough to bother with a lossless file. so with hundreds of images its just not economical or expedient to deal with tiff. on the odd occasion i need something printed huge (bigger than 20"x30"), i go back to the raw file and recreate it to perfection. that happened only once this year, never last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
What's your game, photographer person? You seem to be hip to the software out there, and know what you want, so why are you spending so much time here? Get to work.
you got it! i've been doing it on my own for the past two years. i know *how*....but i neglected a lot of important things in my business because i spent so much time editing. if i keep doing it myself, i'll be out of business in another two years.

it's funny, but i was so busy with editing, i couldn't even look for an editor...i started looking as soon as I finished editing my last wedding of the year!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-28-2007, 03:22 AM

So you know how to push the easy button and have the hardware to process 375 raw files in an hour with ease. Why are you looking people to push the same easy button for you and pay them money to get the same result that you're already getting it on your own?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-28-2007, 03:42 AM

pixe_monkey - cause there isn't any easy button. i'm not looking to run an action on all files, I need someone to look at the images, be able to cull down to a set of the best, visually pick out series of images based on lighting & other conditions, individually correct one of the series (or check to see that the auto corrections worked well), and then apply that setting to the rest in the series. and when a tricky white balance or contrast or whatever pops up...deal with it.

lightroom's automatic features and the presets that I've made are generally very good...but those algorithms are just working towards an average. they aren't able to evaluate what's important in a photograph, or what would be natural. it'll be a long time before computers replace a photo editor's trained eye.

at any rate, i'm finally in contact with one of the companies that (thank goodness) doesn't have a waiting list. i'll be sending test files there, and hopefully it will work out.

if i still sound crazy to anyone, here's an example of one of the companies that does what i'm talking about: http://shootdotedit.com

again, i'm sorry if i offended anyone here. I realize that most of you have highly developed skill sets, and it would be a waste of your talent to take on a job like this. (for the same reason i don't take photos for ebay sellers). Thanks for taking the questions of a new person to the forum, I really do appreciate it!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-28-2007, 06:38 AM

I think part of the problem would be editing down to the photos you need,some might be obvious but you have talked with the client so you know there wants/needs which the person you outsource to might not

also pricing might be another reason

just my opinion zganie
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-28-2007, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
Are you being "cute" or an ass? I cannot tell. I really don't know why everyone is getting so PO'd over this. The man was asking questions. Since when does anyone get blasted over questions on RetouchPro? Is it because he is a photographer? Because people have "diva" complexes? Because he is not taking job applicants?

So educate me ... What is the deal people?

Last edited by grafx; 11-28-2007 at 07:51 AM. Reason: typo AGAIN
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-28-2007, 07:52 AM

Hi Jillian

I just took a look at the link you posted. Some of the before and after shots are quite different. Almost to the point of looking like another photographer took them and it is not "your shot" anymore, if you know what I mean.
How does a company handle the "artistic edits"? Is this something that you decide on before hand? Or do they just decide what to do to each image?

I don't think you offended anyone on the site. The web can be so un-personal at times.

Chris
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs