Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

i'm a photographer - educate me!!

Old 11-28-2007, 09:14 AM
Re: i'm a photographer - educate me!!

zganie - thanks, i appreciate your opinion!
grafx - haha, i had assumed "cute"

Originally Posted by cricket1961 View Post
Hi Jillian

I just took a look at the link you posted. Some of the before and after shots are quite different. Almost to the point of looking like another photographer took them and it is not "your shot" anymore, if you know what I mean.
How does a company handle the "artistic edits"? Is this something that you decide on before hand? Or do they just decide what to do to each image?

I don't think you offended anyone on the site. The web can be so un-personal at times.

Chris - usually what they do is work with the photographer to learn what the expected style is (ie, how warm or cool, how bright, how much contrast, how much saturation.) RAW files are usually pretty flat (at least in my case, where i turn off all in-camera enhancements), so once you add the normal amount of basic editing, it can be a pretty dramatic difference.

"Artistic Edits" are usually charged by the hour, above the normal fee. This is b/w or sepia converstions, facial retouching, and custom dodging/burning. You tell them how many hours to spend, and what your priorities are and they get as much done as they can (at least the few i've looked at handle it that way).

At any rate, I think I've stirred up enough trouble here. And generally I have my answer - this isn't the kind of work that retouchers want. Thanks again for all of your input!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-28-2007, 09:24 AM

Can I PM you about this? Or can you PM me a business email or contact?

Reply With Quote top
Old 11-28-2007, 12:50 PM

I don’t think you’ve offended anyone, either, at least not me. I just wanted to find what exactly that you want. What you initially asked for required individual attention to each image. Consistency doesn’t come from batch processing. Most retouchers don’t own Lightroom and we don’t need to. We know how to set up elaborate actions to use alongside with Bridge if we become desperate. That’s exactly the kind of processing you’ll be getting if you did find somebody, because no one is able to go through that many files in an hour without pushing buttons. I’m quite familiar with wedding photography. Most wedding photographers use either Lightroom or Aperture, because they simply shoot more than they have to and don’t have the time and skill to edit each image individually. The number one issue as a result from using these applications is inconsistency. The most expensive product they can sell is the album, and you only about 80 images to create an average 30 sides album that illustrates the whole event from start to finish. I said this because I do freelance album designs for a wedding photography studio. I only do the designing and no retouching, but often time I cannot help to fix the colors for them due to the automated process they use. It only takes one off key image to ruin not just the page it’s in, but the whole album itself. This is one item that the couples will keep for a long time; it needs to look great in all aspects.
Now that I get the gist of what you’re looking for, I do know a business that offers the services that might suit your needs. PM me if you want the name.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-28-2007, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by grafx View Post
Are you being "cute" or an ass? I cannot tell. I really don't know why everyone is getting so PO'd over this. The man was asking questions. Since when does anyone get blasted over questions on RetouchPro? Is it because he is a photographer? Because people have "diva" complexes? Because he is not taking job applicants?

So educate me ... What is the deal people?

I'm being an ass, probably. I see another person, a photographer, who has discovered that digital is a bit more work than he has imagined, and is looking for the easy and cheap way out. I think he should hire a relative or schoolkid, teach him how to press the easy button, and deal with the turnover that will surely occur, if Starbucks is hiring. Or do it himself. This forum is about retouching, not clerical work for photographers. I think.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs