RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

i'm a photographer - educate me!!

Old 11-26-2007, 08:56 PM

Cool i'm a photographer - educate me!!

time to educate a client *every* industry wishes their clients were more educated...right?

i'm a wedding photographer. i'm decent at post-processing, and enjoy the advanced editing i do to a selection of photos, but i'm just bored to tears by the basics: culling, white balance, exposure, levels, etc. and while i'm good if you look at any individual photo (and getting better everyday), i don't have the consistency i'd like. and, it takes me forever. unfortunately i don't have high enough volume to hire someone. soooooo, i'm a perfect candidate for outsourcing, right?

so why can i find sooooo few companies that do this!!?? (6 I've counted. shootdotedit.com and mylavalu.com are the most well known, but they have huge waiting lists) is it because that stuff is boring to the retouchers too?

obviously this forum has a lot of professionals, many of whom specialize in making an individual photo perfect. but surely some of you wouldn't mind having a business making a batch of photos look great?

here's what i'm looking for:
Cull 1200-1500 photos down to 700-900
Basic editing on the remaining including:
- white balance/color balance
- exposure
- levels/contrast/saturation - ie, the "pop"
Consistency of editing (photo to photo & event to event)
Attention to my "style" and preferences (ie, how cool or warm i like images, how much contrast, what skin colors should look like)
Turnaround time of 5-10 days (not including shipping)
JPEG conversion
Priced at $200-$500

Additional services available (b/w conversion, facial retouch, exit sign removal, etc) for $30-$50 per hour

Wide price range based on variances in experience, turn around time, and individualized attention. While I would assume the retoucher has a program like LightRoom (for its speed), I really don't care what they use so long as I give RAW and get JPEG (300dpi, highest quality, unsharpened). i do expect the retoucher to have a quality color-calibrated monitor.

so i know it's not the exciting work you normally take on, but why can't I find more companies/individuals doing it? are my expectations off base? am i looking in all the wrong places? is basic editing just too boring?

i thought i'd go to the source to look for answers....here's your chance to educate the client.

thanks so much for listening to my rambling, can't wait to hear your answers!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2007, 09:12 PM

Re: i'm a photographer - educate me!!

i'm sure you'll get plenty of responses, just give it time...
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2007, 09:23 PM

haha, thanks pixelzombie. I do hope people take my questions without offense. but i'm perfectly open to whatever answer is out there....even if it's that i'm asking for the unreasonable or that I'm in the wrong forum all together!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-27-2007, 09:32 AM

I think that you are too cheap. $500 for 10 eight hour days? I can make more flipping hamburgers, and not have to buy any computers/software etc.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-27-2007, 11:19 AM

hi mike, i think you may misunderstand my post. if it only takes me 6-8 hours, it certainly shouldn't take a professional 80 hours.

i don't intend to hire someone to work on my images only full-time for 10 days. i want to subcontract to someone (who may be working on other projects at the same time), and give them up to 10 days to complete the project.

someone skilled at this could complete in 2-4 hours. (yes, those numbers are based on other photographers who have great skills in that department.)

sorry for the miscommunication! hopefully you didn't think it would take you 80 hours to complete the work, though.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-27-2007, 11:29 AM

So you need a photo editor as well as a photo retoucher (combined into one)

Sounds mind numbing, but the wage sounds pretty fair. It would work best with someone you could count on to think like you do. Sort of a "mini-jkay".

Last edited by grafx; 11-27-2007 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Extra thought
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-27-2007, 01:26 PM

can you send an image? I'd like to give it a shot

j3@adams-assoc.com
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-27-2007, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadams007 View Post
can you send an image? I'd like to give it a shot

j3@adams-assoc.com
I don't think he was looking for job applicants from what I read, just opinions or "education" as he calls it. Anyways, I'd keep it in a PM

No, I'm not a Mod, but eager-beavers chafe me at times.

Last edited by grafx; 11-27-2007 at 02:19 PM. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-27-2007, 02:59 PM

grafx -

Thanks, that confirms some of my suspicions....and alerts me to the fact that "photo editor" and "photo retoucher" are *not* the same job...am I at the wrong forum all together? 95% of the job would be editing, I guess. "mind numbing" is a pretty accurate description.

jadams007 -

Thanks for the offer, but it would be silly to send over one photo...it's not about editing a single photo to perfection...it's about general correction for a large batch of photos.

I guess I was hoping to learn that this wasn't an uncommon request...I was just using bad terminology or looking in the wrong group of people or something. *sigh*....I'll keep looking.

FYI - there's a huge huge push for "outsourcing" of this kind in the wedding industry (at least in my sector of it) right now. the few companies out there are being overwhelmed (part of the reason i was looking for more options). anyone looking to start a profitable company...it's a relatively untapped market.

Thanks for all of your responses!
Jillian
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-27-2007, 05:07 PM

What you're looking for is more like a Photoshop production color corrector/technician. According to your posts, the retouchers will need to go through 375 raw files in an hour. Honestly, I don't think an action is able to go through that many raw files in an hour even with a decent system. The images that some retouchers here work on require a day or more to complete. Yes, your line of work would be extremely boring. That's why there are not too many (if there any at all) retouchers are willing to do this type of work.
And here's a little education, no retouchers like to hear from photographers telling them how long an image should get done, because we don't tell them how to shoot.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs