RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Just starting out- Fashion industry retouching

Old 11-29-2007, 05:19 AM

Newbie Just starting out- Fashion industry retouching

Hi everyone, I'm new here, thought I'd post a few questions about the fashion industry since I am totally clueless about how it all works.

I am interested in doing high end retouching and recoloring advertisements (clothing, makeup, perfume/cologne) for fashion magazines. I am interested in doing this for the top fashion magazines. First off, what would a position like this be called? Just professional retoucher, or in marketing is this covered under a more broad position title?

Is this handled more as an in-house sort of thing for the company of the marketed product, or does this generally get outsourced to high end marketing companies?

For the marketing or fashion companies, what do they generally want as far as education goes? Will a two or four year degree get me in the door a lot easier than an outstanding portfolio alone?

I'm sure there are questions I haven't even thought of yet, but I think that will set me on the right path to start. Thank you in advance for any and all input!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2007, 04:38 PM

Re: Just starting out- Fashion industry retouching

Welcome to RP...

It's good to be asking questions of this nature now. Where are you now in terms of experience, skills, knowledge, etc.?

I'm a hobbiest at this type of thing, in other words I don't have exerience on which to draw for answers to your specific questions, so I hope the following links I found will help a little.

* http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/pho...retoucher.html

...and this looks promising:

* http://www.gofreelance.com/design/ar...ng-career.html

Perhaps others will have ideas too.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-02-2007, 04:48 AM

I'm not entirely sure where I am now. I would say I have intermediate skills, but I really have no frame of reference for that. I have ten or twelve retouching examples in my deviantArt account, interspersed between the photomanipulation stuff: http://cfryant.deviantart.com/gallery/

I can do the basic stuff, and I suppose that in relation to retouching, my current methods are probably a little on the novice side. I'm also reading the Katrin Eismann's book, which I have heard sets you on the right path.

Thank you for the links by the way, I will definitely check them out.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-17-2011, 03:01 PM

Don't make the mistake of assuming that because Photoshop looks extremely easy to use, that its going to be easy to get into this industry. Its not. Visual skills, which unfortunately have to be acquired over time, are the only thing that will give you a head start over all the others that are making the same assumption.

As far as I see it there two basic ways to get in - sheer luck or Trainee positions. "Trainee" positions - you will most probably be working a 10 to 12 hour day. With little or no creative input, because those decisions are by necessity, liable to be made by someone else. Sheer luck- and here's your chance! to be honest from what I can see, it helps if you are a woman, or at least able to fit in and conduct an interview.

With a hard slog, for long enough, you may get in. But you really need to make sure that you are prepared for all this at the outset, otherwise you will very easily join the ranks of all of those to become disillusioned.

The Industry has changed, divided between those like me lucky enough to get in a good few years ago, and those who have a fair battle on their hands. Brutal, but never the less honest advice.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2011, 04:25 AM

Great Piece Markzebra
This is what I was saying in other posts The kind of advice should be passed on from people in the business to newcomers
So at least they have an idea whats a head
Thanks Markzebra
Zganie
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2011, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markzebra View Post
Don't make the mistake of assuming that because Photoshop looks extremely easy to use, that its going to be easy to get into this industry. Its not. Visual skills, which unfortunately have to be acquired over time, are the only thing that will give you a head start over all the others that are making the same assumption.

As far as I see it there two basic ways to get in - sheer luck or Trainee positions. "Trainee" positions - you will most probably be working a 10 to 12 hour day. With little or no creative input, because those decisions are by necessity, liable to be made by someone else. Sheer luck- and here's your chance! to be honest from what I can see, it helps if you are a woman, or at least able to fit in and conduct an interview.

With a hard slog, for long enough, you may get in. But you really need to make sure that you are prepared for all this at the outset, otherwise you will very easily join the ranks of all of those to become disillusioned.

The Industry has changed, divided between those like me lucky enough to get in a good few years ago, and those who have a fair battle on their hands. Brutal, but never the less honest advice.

Always keep what he said in mind - But if you want to do it because you love it and not because you think it's easy, go for it and be prepared to eat artistic integrity for a few long months

Maybe you'll find this useful http://nataliataffarel.tumblr.com/po...ited-advice-ii
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2011, 09:42 AM

Where are you based?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs