Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

High-End Label Retouching

Old 12-11-2007, 11:34 AM
High-End Label Retouching

Have any of you worked on high-end labels (very high-end, such as Prada, Dolce & Gabbana, Chanel, Gucci, YSL, etc etc) on retouching?

I have worked on pretty large, big brands (L'oreal, Victoria's Secret, Armani) but not on the very high-end stuff.

Would love to hear about the rest of you. I'm sure Box isn't the only retouching monopoly on these.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-11-2007, 12:05 PM
Re: High-End Label Retouching

Box seems to live in a world of hype, which, I'm sure, helps them keep that mystery machine going. I mean, what do they really do? Anybody ever work there? I've seen a few examples of their work, and, well, yeah, it's great, but not made in outer space, like some imply.

For me, the real "high end" is the CGI work being done these days with automobiles. Love to watch that being done.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-11-2007, 02:04 PM

I've worked on Bottega Veneta, BCBG Max Azria, David Yurman, Earl Jeans and some other high end watch and jewelry whos names escape me.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-12-2007, 09:45 AM

i've done yurman and d&g stuff. i'd throw l'oreal in there with the "high-end" brands, or at least the division we've been dealing with has been as demanding and gimmiegimmiegimmienownownow as any client i've ever worked with

i agree with benny's take on box work, or at least what i've seen of it. good, but nothing magical. but when you can tout a client list of meisel, klein, sims, etc. all the up and comers are gonna want to work with you too. isn't the whole fashion industry based on selling hype in some way, though?

alot of our newer clients have been coming in with a "oh, we wanted to get box to do it," but either box was all booked up, or quoted them waaay too high, or they weren't happy with the work they got from them last time
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-12-2007, 12:23 PM

Yes in London I have now worked on Versaci, D&G, Lord & Taylor, Rosato, Burberry...
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-12-2007, 01:27 PM

Yes to all but the Yurman jewlery/glitz.

Reply With Quote top
Old 12-13-2007, 03:49 PM

ah Shelby - small world, I think I know someone who freelanced for a short time with you where you were permanent, are you an Aussie? Ill put these in a PM ...
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-14-2007, 05:24 AM

Nice, that's been a few of you. I've worked on middle-upper labels, like Rena Lange, Max Azria, and a few others, but not a nice high-end campaign.

For those of you who worked on them, did you freelance or work with Box or another studio? (don't have to name names, of course.)

Yeah, I agree about all of the Box comments as well. I heard a few horror stories with them, but, of course, it has to be taken with a grain of salt.

Did you guys work on the actual campaign images (with Klein, McDean, Meisel, whoever shot it) or just paraphernalia?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-20-2007, 12:59 PM

Wow, how do you get work like that?
I love retouching skin and keeping that dewy texture and I have such a passion for retouching but how do you get to the dizzying heights of high end retouching?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-20-2007, 02:02 PM

Anyone with these high-end credentials want to post some before & after's so us aspiring amateurs know where we're aiming if we want to make money at this business?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs