RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Getting started, building first portfolio

Old 12-17-2007, 11:38 AM

Smile Re: Getting started, building first portfolio

sandr35 is obviously a harder sell than me

Remember that its almost xmas, most of the studios are trying to get everything done by that date, really start to hit them in Jan, thats a slow month for most studios.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-18-2007, 03:46 PM

Re: Getting started, building first portfolio

Hey Mike,
I know Xmas is the time to "Pump" out the photos of fashion, events, families, friends, new babies...But It's usually the time when quality is thrown to the wind in order to ship out the crappy/rushed work by "Yesterday" and any warm body that can turn on a Mac gets the job in some places. I didn't mean to sound mean, really! What if a photographer/company doesn't have a spare computer, familiar set-up or time? Or maybe Im too harsh, my bad!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-18-2007, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandr35 View Post
Hey Mike,
I know Xmas is the time to "Pump" out the photos of fashion, events, families, friends, new babies...But It's usually the time when quality is thrown to the wind in order to ship out the crappy/rushed work by "Yesterday" and any warm body that can turn on a Mac gets the job in some places. I didn't mean to sound mean, really! What if a photographer/company doesn't have a spare computer, familiar set-up or time? Or maybe Im too harsh, my bad!
You need to start looking for a quality studio. My studio does not ever throw quality to the wind and the studio owners that I hang out with do not do that either. Thats not a really good way to get any repeat business. And since we guarantee our work 100%, we really do not like to be refunding the money when the customer is unhappy.

Scheduling both our time and looking at the time lines for the labs that print our work is kind of an art if we are promising the final prints by a certain date. After we establish our cutoff date, it is not unusual to either turn down the job or convince the customer that they will be OK with a delivery date after xmas.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-21-2007, 02:34 PM

I knew I liked this site for a reason. It's full of smart and helpful people. You're a good one Mike.

sandr35
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-21-2007, 04:24 PM

Thanks alot for the input everyone. I'll be browsing through stock photography or buying myself a rebel xt on boxing day haha. I've actually taken a photography class and I'm not half bad at it but I cant do much with a point and shoot 4mp powershot...

The replies of Mike and Sandr35 show me that some people are in fact harder sells than other but that's the reality of the work we're doing. If I ever find the ultimate way to sell my services I'll be sure to write a book about it!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-21-2007, 05:16 PM

Quote:
...I'll be browsing through stock photography or buying myself a rebel xt on boxing day haha. I've actually taken a photography class and I'm not half bad at it but I cant do much with a point and shoot 4mp powershot...
Not only will having your own camera (and training) help you get images for yourself, you will also be able to retouch better. Knowing what went wrong when the photographer went snap will only help you, not to mention know more about the photography side of things rather than post production.

Just be careful, you buy a body one day and before you know it, you have thousands of dollars in len's, flash units and other equipment
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-21-2007, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enkay View Post
Thanks alot for the input everyone. I'll be browsing through stock photography or buying myself a rebel xt on boxing day haha. I've actually taken a photography class and I'm not half bad at it but I cant do much with a point and shoot 4mp powershot...

The replies of Mike and Sandr35 show me that some people are in fact harder sells than other but that's the reality of the work we're doing. If I ever find the ultimate way to sell my services I'll be sure to write a book about it!
You may make more from the book sales than anything else
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-17-2008, 06:01 AM

What a wonderful thread! I too thinking of getting more serious now, concidering retouching.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs