RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Is it just me....?

Old 12-21-2007, 02:08 AM

Re: Is it just me....?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enkay View Post
I don't really see the point of bashing someone else's website... Does it make you feel better about the quality of your work?
Does it make feel that you're a much better human being than everyone who posted in this thread 'cause you don't lower your character to the level of your so-called "bashing" others? How does it make you feel when I ask you this? I don't know how you define "bashing", people here are just expressing their opinions. I certainly don't feel better about the quality of my work just by looking at that site. I'll be very busy pointing finger and laughing at many other similar websites out there if I wanted to boost my self-esteem to make myself feel better and brag about the quality of my work. I'd just completely stop learning knowing that there will always be hundred of others that are below my skill level...and I certainly wouldn't be at this site trying to better my skill. The reality is that it's a website. If you made it public, people will talk about it whether it's good or bad.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-21-2007, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanda View Post
Yes I recognise them too, I was trying to place where they came from.
I've seen them as well, either someone has posted them here, or I clicked a link on the side bar - I'm inclined to think they were posted here by a member.

Could be wrong of course

I think Enkay has a point though. Perhaps it is better to look at the really good pros and aspire to that, rather than look at the lower end retouchers and laugh because you/I/we think we are better.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-21-2007, 05:15 AM

It was driving me nuts, so Iooked it up. The sample retouch of the little girl on the pony is directly from Katrin Eismann's Restoration & Retouching. In her Second edition it's from Chapter 5, page 155.

Enkay, It's not about me or making me feel better. I'm terrible at retouching, it's not my forte. I don't even attempt it and I don't really enjoy doing it. I have no personal animosity toward the folks at the sampled web site (except using other people's work as _their_ examples). That said, I have seen enough amazing work done right here in RetouchPRO, and other sites, that I have developed an appreciation for what is excellent work and what is less than stellar.

I'm not laughing at anybody. I'm just feeling sorry for anyone who stumbles on that site and intrusts their precious photo of great grandmom to them for a retouch when *I* know there are hundreds of other retouchers that are capable of doing so much more than what is displayed on this site.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-21-2007, 07:57 AM

Of course its not about making me feel better! It makes me angry that they are pretending to offer a service that they clearly cannot provide, theres a name for that, false advertising. It had nothing to do with my work, no body learns anything by compairing yourself to people below you, you help people that aren't as good as yourself and you aspire to the people above you otherwise you get no where.
And anyway they are actively taking business away from other people otherwise they wouldn't have a website still up, as it would be a financial burden. Not everybody knows what good retouching is so picture this:
Someone needing a retoucher could go through every crap, wannabe out there and never get round to you when you know you could do a great job and start a career from it. Its not mucking around its people's livelyhoods
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-21-2007, 12:33 PM

If people are still going to his website and buying his services, we're obviously not doing a very good job at marketing our services. People might not know what good retouching is, but if they're content with what they get from him, well maybe that's what part of the market wants. Mcdonalds isnt gourmet food but they're still making millions because it's what some people want. Free market.

The only thing wrong here is that some of his exemples were stolen from someone else.

And whoever tried to bash me, I'm not going to play your little game.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-21-2007, 12:55 PM

Nobody's bashing you, Enkay. You are right, some folks like McDonalds.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-21-2007, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy.Read View Post
Of course its not about making me feel better! It makes me angry that they are pretending to offer a service that they clearly cannot provide, theres a name for that, false advertising. It had nothing to do with my work, no body learns anything by compairing yourself to people below you, you help people that aren't as good as yourself and you aspire to the people above you otherwise you get no where.
And anyway they are actively taking business away from other people otherwise they wouldn't have a website still up, as it would be a financial burden. Not everybody knows what good retouching is so picture this:
Someone needing a retoucher could go through every crap, wannabe out there and never get round to you when you know you could do a great job and start a career from it. Its not mucking around its people's livelyhoods
Hi Amy,

They are offering a service, and if people are happy with that service .....

Not all folks want to pay out bundles of money to get their images fixed, not everyone wants a masterpiece as an end result.

Besides, if the not so goods didn't exist, then nobody would know what good was
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-21-2007, 03:12 PM

I think you hit the nail on the head with McDonalds.

It doesn't always come down to marketing, obviously its very important but there are always people that will get the cheapest deal out there...for example my Dad's a builder and when people ask several builders for quotes he's never the cheapest because he doesn't cut corners, but then something goes wrong when they hire the cheap builder and they ring my dad back and ask for help. And of course he helps, but they've spent twice as much as they would have in the first place.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-21-2007, 03:18 PM

oops didn't mean to send that twice
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-21-2007, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy.Read View Post
I think you hit the nail on the head with McDonalds.

It doesn't always come down to marketing, obviously its very important but there are always people that will get the cheapest deal out there...for example my Dad's a builder and when people ask several builders for quotes he's never the cheapest because he doesn't cut corners, but then something goes wrong when they hire the cheap builder and they ring my dad back and ask for help. And of course he helps, but they've spent twice as much as they would have in the first place.
I understand where you are coming from Amy, but some people are more than satisfied with 'fixed' - as opposed to 'FIXED' .... if you know what I mean.

Enkay's points about promotion are worth a listen. If you're keen to get your name in every circle going, try doing some restoration/retouching work for a non profit organisation ... good way for many people to see your name in lights because you can say that as part of your 'free' service your name is added to the blurb.

Think about getting some istock images and producing your own calendar to promote your own work ...... I must do this next year with some photographs I have been saying I'm going to do it with for about the last 3 years

Think of ways that you can promote yourself.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs