RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Is it just me....?

Old 12-21-2007, 05:31 PM

Re: Is it just me....?

Enkay,
I think everyone is entitled to an opinion and the original discussion was about the work on the web site that Amy linked to. I think too that the consensus of opinion, thus far, is that the work is amature stuff. That would be fine if the guy/gal was here in RetouchPRO seeking to improve, but he/she has set up a web site and is attempting to sell it. When you sell your work you are considered a professional, but I think most of us agree that he/she has done professional work.

I cannot tell you the times I have "amazed" my friends and family by removing a blemish or fixing wrinkles. But I'm not selling my stuff, 'cause I know I'm not very good at it and would be cheathing them if I did. Sure they love it, but they don't have a trained eye. It's just magic to them.

Here in RetouchPRO we see retouch work daily. We watch and learn. We follow the advise and critiques of those better than us. If you come here with thin skin, and feel people are bashing someone's work (I've been here three years and have never seen it) you need to understand that THAT is not what we do here. Most of us "call 'em like we see 'em" without animosity. We just hope to help others improve. Granted, the person responsible for the linked web site is not here to learn, but that shouldn't stop any of us from being able to critique his/her work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-21-2007, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison View Post
Hi Enkay,

I agree with a lot that you have said, I also agree with a lot that Amy has said.

We all have to start somewhere and then we learn some more and improve our techniques. If people want to pay cash to the other person for his/her work, that is fine by me - and yes, I believe in a free market as well.

The image on your site is a whole other matter. Just because it is on loads of sites on the web, doesn't make it a free for all. The image may not have any copyright to it at all, it may be worth investigating though, to see if it has.

The person from the original post is not false advertising, because I haven't seen a definite meaning to the words 'retouch', 'professionals' etc., Everyone has a different definition and standard that they aspire to, and it is not for me or anyone else to try and determine what meaning others associate with those words.
That's what I'm trying to say. I don't know why Bill is trying to make this about me and this image on my site. I think he's just angry.

I already said it's probably not the best idea to use it and have taken down links to my site as I didn't know people were actually looking at it. I just needed a place holder for a website that's not yet launched or in any way finished.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-21-2007, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy View Post
Enkay,
I think everyone is entitled to an opinion and the original discussion was about the work on the web site that Amy linked to. I think too that the consensus of opinion, thus far, is that the work is amature stuff. That would be fine if the guy/gal was here in RetouchPRO seeking to improve, but he/she has set up a web site and is attempting to sell it. When you sell your work you are considered a professional, but I think most of us agree that he/she has done professional work.

I cannot tell you the times I have "amazed" my friends and family by removing a blemish or fixing wrinkles. But I'm not selling my stuff, 'cause I know I'm not very good at it and would be cheathing them if I did. Sure they love it, but they don't have a trained eye. It's just magic to them.

Here in RetouchPRO we see retouch work daily. We watch and learn. We follow the advise and critiques of those better than us. If you come here with thin skin, and feel people are bashing someone's work (I've been here three years and have never seen it) you need to understand that THAT is not what we do here. Most of us "call 'em like we see 'em" without animosity. We just hope to help others improve. Granted, the person responsible for the linked web site is not here to learn, but that shouldn't stop any of us from being able to critique his/her work.
The way I see it, not everyone is looking to pay big amounts of money, and not everyone wants retouches that could be featured in GQ. There's different segments of market and that's fine by me.

Pepsi is bottling tap water and making millions with it. There are laws, but in the end you're pretty much allowed to sell whatever you want. The market will decide if they want your product or not. If they do, who are we to judge.

I wouldn't consider this a critique of his work as I havent seen any constructive critisism so far.

I will now stick to technique sections and let you guys to your fun bashing and internet post wars.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-21-2007, 05:46 PM

One of my friends over on the NAPP board is a retoucher who has won awards for his work. The guy is really good. Another NAPP member ran across a web site in India that was using one of his award winning retouches as an example on their site. My friend had copyright notices all over his work and the Indian site displayed his work complete with the copyright notice! Now that's pretty gutsy. And the irony is the Indian site had a copyright notice at the bottom of their opening page. Apparently they don't know what copyright means.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-21-2007, 05:47 PM

"I think he's just angry."

lol, ok. I'm just an angry old person and you should use that photo all you want because, hey, Bill's an angry guy.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-21-2007, 06:34 PM

LOL, Bill. Just so long as your not a dirty old angry man.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-21-2007, 06:37 PM

lol, you're right... I forgot, it comes with the old age
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-30-2007, 11:22 AM

I don't think anyone was over the top in the comments they made regarding that website. If they are in fact using works by other re-touch artists (of whatever quality), that is flat out WRONG. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the pieces in our own critique forum was taken and used by someone else as advertisement of their work.

btw, that Pagaent pic (the women in pink) is hillarious!!! Looks horrible lol
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2008, 01:06 AM

I'm agree with all. I want critique for my work.

just checkout my web site

www.photofixonline.com

I want to be a good restorer / retoucher. all of ur opinion will help me.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2008, 07:55 AM

maybe some more examples of what you can do would be good?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs