RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Is it just me....?

Old 12-20-2007, 01:31 PM

Is it just me....?

Hello all,
Like I said in my other post today, this is my first day with this site and I've just found a link to a website claiming to charge for their "retouching".

http://www.realretouch.com/retouch.html

Why, dear lord why would you try to get work/get work with these images?

Like many other people on the forum I'm trying to find retouching work and I feel like when I finally get in contact with a pro photographer etc they are weary and don't tend to take anyone seriously, but thankfully they seem to like my work so all is not lost.

On the other hand everyone else here seems lovely! There are some great posts and I love the critique section, really good to see people chipping in for eachother.

Does anybody feel the same about the less than capable retouchers scaring away photographers for the rest of us? Or am I being mean...
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-20-2007, 02:46 PM

Re: Is it just me....?

Amy, yeah, there are cons all over the web. They want the easy way out, put up a site, show some pictures and hope someone will buy in. You and I may have a more critical eye, but the general public sees that woman with her wrinkles gone and they think that is just wonderful.

I recognize a couple of their samples as having been lifted from Tutorial CDS and other web sites. I KNOW they did not originate the torn picture of the little girl on a pony (Katrin Eismann, perhaps-but I remember it from somewhere) same with the guy with glare on his glasses.

You have the right idea. Personal contacts with photographers with a good portfolio and a professional demeanor and "real", not Avery I printed them on an inkjet, business cards.

I'm surprised that you are surprised! LOL
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-20-2007, 03:01 PM

I don't know about you, but I've seen worse!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-20-2007, 04:01 PM

Lol, not only is this a good site your a funny lot too!
Yeah I'm sure there are worse, and i cant believe those images are nicked! Thats soooooooo bad. Maybe I'm naieve, maybe I'm easily angered or maybe just maybe the whole worlds gone mad!

Unfortunately i think its the first 2!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-20-2007, 05:10 PM

Welcome to RetouchPRO.

I was reading some of the stuff on the site and thought the following paragraph really sums up what the site is about.

"Our results are outstanding. Compare samples of our work on this website with examples. you can't see elsewhere like this.We think you'll agree that the quality of our work speaks for itself."
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-20-2007, 05:21 PM

Ha ha ha,
Thats the most silly bundle of nonsense!

Deary me,
Loving that monkey by the way, thats my fav bit of famliy guy.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-20-2007, 06:28 PM

I don't really see the point of bashing someone else's website... Does it make you feel better about the quality of your work?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-20-2007, 06:53 PM

Enkay, I don't think anyone's bashing the website as much as critiquing the quality of the work displayed there. Besides stealing the work of others to use for "their" examples is not kosher.

There are just too many good retouchers available to let this amature entity slide by.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-20-2007, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy View Post
Enkay, I don't think anyone's bashing the website as much as critiquing the quality of the work displayed there. Besides stealing the work of others to use for "their" examples is not kosher.

There are just too many good retouchers available to let this amature entity slide by.
I don't support stealing other people's work but I don't think thats the main issue here... He didn't ask for a review, and this feels more like a "Haha look at how much he sucks, I'm so much better!" sort of thing than a critique anyway.

Professional retouchers are most likely not losing any work because there's amateurs on the internet. If they are they need to work on their marketing.

If people are using his services and they're happy it, it doesn't matter what you consider amateur work. If he's not getting any work because everyone agrees with you, he'll cut his losses soon enough and take his website down.

I don't mean to sound bitter. It's just that it's so easy to point at others and laugh...

EDIT: Too much rambling... My point is, you might think you're better than him and most people might agree but there's also people out there who are much better than everyone who posted in this thread, me included of course. I wouldn't like them to start making fun of my work and website and you probably feel the same.

Last edited by Enkay; 12-20-2007 at 07:44 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-20-2007, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy View Post
I recognize a couple of their samples as having been lifted from Tutorial CDS and other web sites. I KNOW they did not originate the torn picture of the little girl on a pony (Katrin Eismann, perhaps-but I remember it from somewhere) same with the guy with glare on his glasses.
Yes I recognise them too, I was trying to place where they came from.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs