Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Things to consdier when designing a logo

Old 01-05-2008, 08:56 AM
Re: Things to consdier when designing a logo

True, Dave. The main thing you need to remember though is output. Everything except web and 4 color process printing is going to need color separation for printing plates, dies, silkscreens, hotstamp, embroidery, etc. So be sure to set up spot colors when you trace or color fill in Illustrator. It is so much easier to deal with spot colors in AI than in Photoshop.

A lot of people think that even if they assign PMS colors from the Photoshop library, that they can get a plate separation from it. But you can't without dealing with each color in a special spot color channel in the channel's palette and that is torture.

Although Live trace does a pretty good job, I much prefer to trace by hand. Just put your Photoshop file on a layer, reduce the opacity, lock the layer and start tracing on a layer above.

A vector file also allows for placing in Photoshop and resizing and outputting a very clean, sharp JPEG or GIF for web or process color work. This JPEG version was enlarged from about 3 inches to a little over 7 inches and didn't lose any of the fine detail in the petals or the butterfly.

Here's a logo that was taken from a photo of a painting. I hand traced it in FreeHand from a color TIFF file. It has been printed on large banners, billboards, letterhead, t-shirts, ball caps, sports bottles, key tags, coffee cups, foil covered chocolates, balloons, real estate signs, magnetic car signs, homeowner's identification car decals, license plates and other stuff that I can't even think of. (Obviously a good customer, LOL) Having a vector version let's me scale the size small enough for something like keytags, or big enough for billboards without losing resolution or detail.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Meadowlake-logo-(Converted).jpg (95.1 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by Swampy; 01-05-2008 at 04:52 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2008, 02:04 PM
Re: Things to consdier when designing a logo

awesome post!

Originally Posted by Swampy View Post
Having been in the Advertising Specialty business for over 25 years,
These are just my thoughts and suggestions based on years of generating artwork for my clients. Feel free to add your own.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs