RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

My first Retouching Job interview

Old 01-24-2008, 02:20 AM

My first Retouching Job interview

Hi, I'm fairly new here, I have just landed my first retouching job interview tomorrow. The interview includes a test, which I am quite nervous about!! Does anyone know what they usually do in the test? Or what I should expect?

Also, I have a new wacom tablet but still have not mastered it, so am more comfortable with the mouse. Will that be a problem in the interview/test? Is it expected that all retouchers will use one?

I wold be greatful for any advice/help on this and what I should do to prepare.

Thanks

Linds
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2008, 02:47 AM

Re: My first Retouching Job interview

the test will vary, sometimes it is set up for you to fail just to see how you will react and at times it is just to see how fast you are..the last test i took involved retouching some sort of wooden object from a table top setting and 2 forms of color correction, not only was i nervous but what made it worse was the fact i left the mouse i normally use at home and it had been a while since i had used a tablet so i was stuck using the lousy wacom mouse, despite having a good portfolio and plenty of experience in the prepress field, i was judged by what i could do in 1.5 hours..some call this unfair and others would say it's the norm..i would suggest you bring your own mouse and try to be carefree and relaxed as beig nervous won't help at all, good luck...
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2008, 03:00 AM

thank you for your help!
i would never have taken my own mouse!! so you are stuck using whatever they have there, you dont have choice over tablet or mouse?!

i'm hoping they arent just setting me up to fail... that sounds pretty harsh. but thank you again! i really appreciate your advice.

Linds
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2008, 10:42 AM

you might have a choice, but you should use with what you're most comfortable with...
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2008, 11:41 AM

I suggest getting very comfortable with the wacom tablet and pen. Most places are set up w/those... for good reason. If you don't have one, these guys sometimes have good deals...

http://www.smalldog.com/
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2008, 12:01 PM

I took a test once at a staffing agency where they only had a mouse. I got half way through and asked if I could come back with my wacom tablet. They let me come back the next day. I went home and got some "mouse time" in just in case there were any problems using my tablet as I hadn't used a mouse in years.The next day I arrived for the test with wacom in hand and they discover that nobody in the office knew the password for the machine so they couldn't load the driver. I did pass the test but only because I was prepared and already knew what they were testing on.

Good luck!

~Nancy
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs