RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Kinko's Problems

Old 02-09-2008, 05:41 PM

Kinko's Problems

I had some things for my portfolio that I wanted to print out at 11x14 to proof for mistakes, and I wasn't counting on them to get me a Swap certified proof but it is just horrible. I adjusted the shadows and highlight thresholds to 8 and 243 to try and keep everything from plugging and blowing out the highlights. While I didn't have a problem with those the rest of the image overall is just dark dark dark. The dark grey text (47,47,47) was plugged to black. (under the loupe it wasn't pure black but to the eye it sure is) The bottles look like there are 2 stops under exposed.

At face value it looks like a color management issue, but I am using a eye one display 2, Eizo Coloredge CE, 5000k dim lighting, calibrated with color navigator. I also used a test image sample from asuka books to test their on screen jpg to the sample sheets they sent out and print matching was 98% spot on (while viewing in OCD mode ) while the Kinko's was...well lets just say at least theres red, green, and yellow olive oil botttles there.

For the $2.30 cents I can't beat it for a 11x14 proof and I caught some mistakes so it was worth it but I guess my question is....Is there anything else I can do before sending it out besides making a guess at boosting midtones?

Heres a sample of the document I printed... ]Olivo Comp
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2008, 05:47 PM

Re: Kinko's Problems

the best thing you could do is try and profile their output device or maybe try a mail order print service that takes the time to calibrate their equipment...
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2008, 10:53 PM

Places like Kinkos use automated print equipment, that are copier/printer machines. They probably don't color calibrate, as most of their work does not require accurate color, and their employees are often High school kids, or College kids working after school. Most of those outfits do have a regular printing office, where you might get better results if you can get in touch with their prepress department. You might also try a camera shop, or a regular print shop. Some of the regular print shops do still take small jobs, and they generally keep their equipment calibrated.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-11-2008, 07:23 AM

Thanks Dave, there are a few print places in town, i'll have to see if they can maybe run some off on their proofing printer.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs