RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

NYC Retouchers - Anybody work here?

Old 03-08-2008, 11:21 AM

Re: NYC Retouchers - Anybody work here?

I interviewed with them about a year ago for a Junior retoucher position, which paid about what an intern would make. I was looking to gain experience, though, and thought they would be a way start off.

The interview was bizarre. There were 2 of them... one didn't talk at all or make any eye contact and sat with his arms crossed across his chest. I knew before even sitting down at the table that there was some sort of judgement passed based on first impressions and that I wasn't what they were looking for. I continued graciously, though, and showed my portfolio. They showed little interest and the whole things lasted 5-10 uncomfortable icy minutes and I was out of there.

One thing I do know is that there were only around 10 people who worked there... I asked. They told me that they're taking their time interviewing because they want just the right personality to fit in and also more experience so they wouldn't have to fire anyone. That told me I didn't have enough experience to work for them at an intern's rate and that I wouldn't fit in with they're personalities. Whatever... I make twice as much as their senior retoucher does right now, and I've learned a lot in a year without them. Better off, if you ask me.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2008, 03:47 AM

Sounds like a screen test for a Coen brothers movie.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2008, 07:20 AM

The problem here is its just a number,depending on where you live the amount could be great to absolutely dismal.Also they will find someone always happens whether the money is good or not
thats why I asked if this was the going rate
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-11-2008, 02:32 AM

One of my friends works there as a junior retoucher. I haven't heard too much about it yet, but this is certainly interesting.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2008, 10:50 AM

Hi, I'm new to your forum...
I worked for a prepress house in Memphis for 13 years as a color correction and retouching artist... started on a Combi, then Davinci then Mac...
most I ever made was 42,000...
sounds good to me but would not want to live in NY...
I'm sure the cost of living would be outragious...
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2008, 12:19 PM

I am not at all surprised by what they are offering for pay. For what they want this amount is an insult. I have worked in nyc advertising agencies and retouching shops of all sizes. Believe it or not the community of retouchers in nyc at this level is a very small group of creative people. I am extremely good as a retoucher and have made a decent living from it. But people with all these skill sets who are willing to work in that environment deserve alot of cash!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-27-2008, 02:10 PM

A lot off people have asked me about this place over the years. My first work experience coming to NYC was with them. I think his vision resembles a dry-cleaning shop but for images. They had a punch-clock to keep track of your hours. Zapped the creativity out of you the moment you arrived. I have more horror-stories from those three weeks than in my entire 10 yr. retouching career. I have to say that the owner, won't mention his name, was the first one there and the last one to leave every day. Hard working man. But I think his passion is to become the richest man alive.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-27-2008, 04:29 PM

is a punch-clock different from a time-clock?..every place i have worked at has had some sort of time tracking device/software...
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-27-2008, 04:59 PM

Well I'm referring to those things they have in factories. Assembly line style, and the only other time I've had to use one was on a wash factory summer job back in my native Holland in 88. I always seen retouching as a collaborative creative effort so I have a problem with punching a clock. As a company you set a tone of suspicion which is pretty detrimental to the creation of relationships between photog and retoucher or boss and employee. Someone earlier said something along the lines of "a company is only as good as their talent". I truly believe in that as well.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-27-2008, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Rich View Post
Hard working man. But I think his passion is to become the richest man alive.
Should've learned how to play shortstop, consumed HGR, and then make pals with Warren Buffett.

Haven't seen an ad from these guys lately. Maybe they got the message.......
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs