RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

making money

Old 02-28-2008, 09:45 AM

Re: making money

Yes I also make a living as freelance retoucher in London. So it is possible don't worry about it! Like Ant said you may have to move somewhere near a big city, but that ain't always going to be the case: more and more clients are able to give your their FTP details and you can work from home.

There are many different levels of work available too, some of it requiring high end skills, some of it more basic. I think what makes the difference between those that succeed and those that don't are ..

1 Talent, already mentioned
2 Luck - getting in at the right place, at the right time. Theres a LOT of people on the circuit without a lot of Point 1, but have managed to land a trainee role somewhere and been helped along the way. Which bring us to ...
3 Persistence and the desire and openness to learn. Its always a mistake to think you've cracked it. And generally a mistake to try kicking those that are trying their first steps, cause one day they will come back and bite you! Certainly those who have any of point 1 at all. Who knows maybe one day their retouch of The Olson Twins may very well be better than yours!
4 Speed as mentioned in the previous post, and the ability to grasp and memorise technique

Last edited by Markzebra; 02-28-2008 at 09:50 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2008, 10:14 AM

I'm guessing that Ant is such a curmudgeon about a lot of things is that, even though he makes a much higher than average gross than most Americans on his tax return in this trade, he still has to live in (or close?) to NYC in order practice his profession. I know it bugs me. Man, if I could make this money in a place that's cheap to live and doesn't have crazy people muttering something about Michael Jackson to me on the subway, I'd be a little happier.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2008, 10:24 AM

I like ants anwsers, honest and true. I just worked on a print add, it took me 2 weeks to finalize it. Yes many many house go into touchig up. Especialy with these new 40 mega pix images now adays. I just did a billboard size add that had to be 200 dpi, back 15 years ago 50 dpi was fine. Ant is right when he said """ 'pixel monkey' job as well (do what you're told, work well with others, respect deadlines, do what it takes, good enough never flies, provide more than what's asked for""
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2008, 10:25 AM

I live IN Manhattan and have for 6 years as a choice. I could move to Jersey, say an hour away commuting distance and pay half or more less than I do now for rent/mortgage. I choose to live in the city for the convenience and lifestyle and I am not a fan of commuting. I do however do quite a significant percentage of my work from home for clients out of state. Yes, it sucks to pay up to 30k a year just to have a place to live, but I don't have to. That being said, I will be moving in May because I am in need of a larger space and I may move to Brooklyn, out of the city (but close-in). I do like to walk to work and have the world at my fingertips just outside my door. I'd live in the city, if I was still single, even if I only made 35k/yr.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2008, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant View Post
a lot of time and effort goes into learning this skill

Big understatement, especially in regards to this board's members. Most here think a few hours spent on one image is crazy. Try 60.

Your whole post is everything I've always thought or felt but never experienced in a professional workplace environment. I'm not making a living messing with images and probably never will but I enjoy the hell out of it and will probably always be wanting to learn more. At the same time when most that I find seem to want to pay a rate of $10 or less per hour I wonder why I bother trying to find paid work... that gets back to location/market I suppose.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2008, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant View Post
I'd live in the city, if I was still single, even if I only made 35k/yr.
Where, under the FDR?

I'm hoping that this banking/credit crisis opens up a lot of apartments those finance kids have been snapping up over the last decade. Please.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2008, 11:00 AM

(Not too far from the FDR - Ludlow in the lower lower east side)
My first ny apt was $800/month - two room studio, bathtub in the 'kitchen' / living room area 5th floor walk-up tenement. The made Peking ducks in the outbuilding on the ground floor behind the garbage area. Very doable I'd imagine on 35k ($9600/yr) - not conducive to significant others however. I look back on that 5 months with fondness however and I didn't have a job at the time which was quite nice.

I hope it does also, but I doubt it. One of the reasons it's so expensive to live in manhattan is because of the wall street 24 year olds who make 400k a year or more - there are soo many. Reminds me a bit of Seattle. Tons of under 30 year old millionaires. Thing is, it'll get really bad for all of us before that happens. NY is way too close to Europe and the Euro and Pound are very strong compared to the dollar, so tons of that money supporting all the prices. Plus, the mortgage market keeps people from buying things and keeps the rental market very strong. NY is still immune to a lot of the things that have a nationwide effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
Where, under the FDR?

I'm hoping that this banking/credit crisis opens up a lot of apartments those finance kids have been snapping up over the last decade. Please.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2008, 12:08 PM

if moneys your main objective then honestly get out of retouching, there are many more clever, if bankruptcy laden ways,here are many young cokeheads in London earning 500k plus down the city. Thats why these "does anyone actually make a LIVING doing this" threads irritate

"I enjoy the hell out of it " -. If you've got that as your starting point then you certainly got something to work on. Its the one thing that will make it possible for you to maybe make a living doing this eventually, and remain sane.

Reckon I met that same Michael Jackson guy last night on the tube! he moved over after I showed him my false limb
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2008, 01:04 PM

heh, well, Antman, you speak like a true Manhattanite when you classify Brooklyn as "out of the city". I live just across the river in Jerzey, and am a bit tired of it almost being a handicap to get a job sometimes. "Hmmmm....you live in New Jersey. Will there be a problem with your getting into work?" Jeez, isn't that why they dug the Lincoln Tunnel?

And, Markzebra, I hope that wasn't your false third limb.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2008, 02:30 PM

that was the one!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs