RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

making money

Old 02-28-2008, 03:46 PM

Re: making money

yep I agree and that's why my son moved to NYC...but then again, not everyone wants to live in NYC.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2008, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
I live just across the river in Jerzey, and am a bit tired of it almost being a handicap to get a job sometimes.
i find it more of a pain in the ass socially than professionally. when meeting women there is no good point in the conversation to introduce your local and yet out-of-state residence. the most common response i get is straight out laughter, or con-descending sympathy

and yet i still get to work faster than my brooklyn based co-workers
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2008, 11:10 PM

This has been a really interesting thread to me as well. I'm a videographer, and do support myself and my family that way, which I'm really greateful for. While Photoshop and still images are not the mainstay of my work, I do all of the graphic arts associated with my finished products, our advertisements, and also a large number of photo montages (video of picttures set to music) for our clients, involving scanning and fixing photos before use in the video. I love photoshop and would love to do that all the time !! but I haven't found a way to support myself that way yet. This thread has let me know that there are people out there who have found a way and if I keep working on it maybe I can get there too.

Thanks for everyone's answers!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-29-2008, 12:42 AM

[QUOTE=videogal;I love photoshop and would love to do that all the time !! but I haven't found a way to support myself that way yet. This thread has let me know that there are people out there who have found a way and if I keep working on it maybe I can get there too.

Thanks for everyone's answers![/QUOTE]

my new co-worker also loves photoshop as it can be a very interesting creative outlet but the day to day grind isn't always creative and for those that can't handle the pressure of jobs that are "due yesterday" it can be an unpleasant situation..a large part is in fact quite tedious and i can't get her to understand this, she's always trying to take short cuts..the other day she asked me how to turn a selection into a path, i cringed and wanted to shake her at the same time...
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-29-2008, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zganie View Post
I think not only me But many others are curious if people on here are actually making money and/or a living not just one or two people but in general.
I make money retouching, but not living. Living I make with photography, and would like to leave it that way. However, I won't say no to interesting retouching assignment (fashion, glamour); I do it for dutch playboy, and for some good and loyal photographers, and loving it as a side job. Would not do it full-time though, because it's by far not as creative as making my own images.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-29-2008, 05:56 AM

Smile Re: making money

Q: i am someone who is at cross-roads in their career ... i don't know whether to pursue retouching or not as the next step. I am currently in London but will move back to Australia (Brisbane initially) where i am from in the next year or so. (partner is English therefore the issues...)

Is there any point in me pursuing this career if there is no market for me out of Brisbane? (or any other aussie city?) even with a fast broadband connection?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-29-2008, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleBrown View Post
Q: i am someone who is at cross-roads in their career ... i don't know whether to pursue retouching or not as the next step. I am currently in London but will move back to Australia (Brisbane initially) where i am from in the next year or so. (partner is English therefore the issues...)

Is there any point in me pursuing this career if there is no market for me out of Brisbane? (or any other aussie city?) even with a fast broadband connection?
It couldn't hurt. Working in London will sound good to any potential employers much like someone from LA or NY moving to a smaller market (dude, she's from London!). Certainly there are photographers in Brisbane and vicinity. You may be able to make your own job by way of offering your services to them exclusively and supplement with a similar type job full-time for someone else. I'd start by researching the market (search ad agencies, production/design houses) in the area you may move to. Then, get good and absorb and practice as much as possible.
Population is nearly 2 million and Brisbane has the highest growth of any capital city in Australia. There's a decent chance that there may be work there for you or that you could create work for yourself. One year is not a long time however, so make the most of it.

http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-29-2008, 09:57 AM

Thanks Ant for the advice; it is much appreciated.

Do you think agencies in a place like Brisbane would be less likely to be so demanding of their artworkers needing both Photoshop AND Illustrator skills, than say, London seems to be? (apart from high-end retouchers being skilled enough to be employed on photoshop skills alone) I have basic skills in Illustrator but have no desire to develop those skills further since i know i will never be an amazing illustrator...

I guess i am asking because ideally i would like full-time employment with an agency rather than be forced to have to start freelancing in my unemployed state because the agencies wanted Illustrator skills along with the photoshop skills.

(Forgive me if the above leads you to think i wanted you to research the brisbane market for me. absolutely not. i am trying to get my head around the different markets for retouching and whether a 5-10 career plan can be forged with me living in Brisbane and Retouching - or whether i should just go and learn how to edit video!)

Last edited by MichelleBrown; 02-29-2008 at 10:02 AM. Reason: didn't want to offend
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-29-2008, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleBrown View Post
Thanks Ant for the advice; it is much appreciated.

Do you think agencies in a place like Brisbane would be less likely to be so demanding of their artworkers needing both Photoshop AND Illustrator skills, than say, London seems to be? (apart from high-end retouchers being skilled enough to be employed on photoshop skills alone) I have basic skills in Illustrator but have no desire to develop those skills further since i know i will never be an amazing illustrator...

I guess i am asking because ideally i would like full-time employment with an agency rather than be forced to have to start freelancing in my unemployed state because the agencies wanted Illustrator skills along with the photoshop skills.
Working in an ad agency will be it's own thing and very different than working at a boutique retouching house. It'll be in-house, corner cutting, often less than perfect work, long hours, etc. and you may use more than just PS in your day to day. Anyway.... I just mention it because it's more likely that you'll be able to find something in that area being a smaller market but you really need to do research. Quick google searches turn up butt-loads.

You should have basic skills as a retoucher in Illustrator, In Design, etc. While you may not be illustrating per se, in Illustrator you may be using elements that will need to be stripped into an image and PS later. Ditto layouts and such in InDesign or Quark. It's all Adobe, so the learning curve isn't so bad and a lot of the quick keys are even the same. Take a class, get the programs, use them and become proficient. Not knowing these programs will just hinder you. It's important to know how things work even if you don't use them all the time or don't have to use them as in-depth as someone else may.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-29-2008, 05:05 PM

I make a good salary with benefits working as a Digital Artist/Senior Retoucher at a direct sales company with its corporate headquarters in Orange County, CA.... only 6 miles from my house. But Ant is right as if I were in the right market which in CA is the LA area, I could make 20% more and living in the OC is as expensive if not more expensive then LA. It is a trade off as I am not fond of LA nor do I like to commute. I make extra income from my personal site and freelance work for photographers, but I am working extra hours too. For just the right job; much better money, benefits, hours, environment, ect. I would move... I guess (actually on the fence with this one as my kids live in OC).
~Nancy

Last edited by Nanls; 02-29-2008 at 11:40 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs