RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

making money

Old 02-29-2008, 05:33 PM

Re: making money

Not sure if this is the best place to put this...but here goes.
I just got a job retouching wedding photos for a very nice photographer who is mediocre.(I'm not saying I'm better - but I have to be honest.) I am charging $15 an hour for corrections= color/exposure/noise (most of the work) and more for manipulation=cut/paste/clone stuff.

So in answer to the question I do make money, but I am not making a living.
Here is my question: I live in northern CA, and my only teaching has come from the web and HOURS/years of hands on. Can anyone tell me of another resource like this one where pros share some techniques for me to try?

Last edited by i-inspire; 02-29-2008 at 07:24 PM. Reason: spelling...Yikes!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-29-2008, 05:38 PM

many pros will not hand over the recipe book because they put in many hours/years/blood sweat and tears perfecting their techniques.

your best bet is hitting the local ad agencies to start, and get a foundation for what the job entails, and also get experince dealing with the other factors that weigh in like deadlines and art directors and clients and big egos…
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-29-2008, 11:21 PM

Your question was not as clear to me as it seems to be to others. It seemed to me you asked if people are making a living using Photoshop ( and not necessarily just high end retouching). If I interpreted that correctly then my answer is absolutley yes.

I do not work for an advertising agency, or do beauty retouches are anything like that. I do color correction and restorations. I remove redeye and make enlargements. I create contact sheets. I do occasional colorization and make posters and I teach others how to do what I do. I spend a great deal of time working in photoshop and make a living at it.

I do not live in a 30,000 a year Apartment in NYC nor do I have any desire to. I do, however, live in a nice four bedroom home with a double car garage on a quiet cul-de-sac in a smallish town. I do have a family of five and I do have 2 fairly new vehicles. My oldest daughter does have braces and the entire family has new ski gear.

My point is I am making a very real and liveable living primarily because of my ability to use photoshop effectively but, I had to do it in concert with other skills (ie. supervisory and administrative skills). I have been able to take one of my hobbies and, by being flexible, support myself and my family comfortably.

Last edited by cardmnal; 03-01-2008 at 09:32 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2008, 03:00 PM

Yes, I make a living using photoshop. Just bought a house, it's not very big, but at least it's mine. I don't work as a highend retoucher, but I work at an ad-agency as a studio guy. 90% of all my work is in photoshop, but I'm a proficient photographer, Illustrator and a good Indesign/pre-press guy.
It's great fun, but for instance last wednesday I worked 21 hours. And they don't pay overtime.

It's a great industry to work in (I've been quite lucky), but you have to work your A$$ off and the money, especially starting out, isn't fantastic. That said I've doubled my salary in the last 2 years, and am now looking to get a job as a retoucher.

It's a good place to start, but not sure wether it's a great place to end up.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2008, 03:08 PM

sounds like you're on a salary, which is unfortunate if you have to work long hours...
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2008, 03:25 PM

Its true in London too- Ad agency work is the hardest, requires longer hours. Certainly freelancing doing ad agency work, going from job to job, which happens to be what Im doing at the moment, can be very hard. My experience suggests most people don't last very long at this and eventually take perm roles elsewhere to get away from it. You got to have VERY thick skin: You need to be technically proficient enough to hit the ground running on each job, able to work at sometimes tremendous speeds, able to listen and take vocal briefs and good enough to pull it off in terms of standards too.

Most permanent jobs on the other hand will require a certain narrower set of skills to a very high standard.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2008, 03:39 PM

If you have a steady job, I don't know who doesn't work their a$$ off along with high stress and tension. Unfortunately many professions (computers, accountants, manufacturing) are being outsourced - especially jobs that can be done via computer communication. Could this not be just a true for retouchers? Would that mean someone like Ant would need to move from NYC to Bombay or Shanghi?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2008, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markzebra View Post
Its true in London too- Ad agency work is the hardest, requires longer hours. Certainly freelancing doing ad agency work, going from job to job, which happens to be what Im doing at the moment, can be very hard. My experience suggests most people don't last very long at this and eventually take perm roles elsewhere to get away from it. You got to have VERY thick skin: You need to be technically proficient enough to hit the ground running on each job, able to work at sometimes tremendous speeds, able to listen and take vocal briefs and good enough to pull it off in terms of standards too.

Most permanent jobs on the other hand will require a certain narrower set of skills to a very high standard.
i have to agree, ad agency work is very hard but i have to say it really pushed me to elevate my skills and i would go back to that kind of work if i could...
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-04-2008, 03:42 AM

The trick with agency work is that it's always busy and everything is always important, so in the end I just end up not caring about things. Which works wonders for me, because I don't really get stressed.If you get stressed easily, it might not be the best industry for you. It's good fun though
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-04-2008, 10:11 AM

"so in the end I just end up not caring about things" I can't do that, if I did I would have trouble doing it at all. As soon as a find myself thinking that way I take a break.

"pushed me to elevate my skills" yes its a kind of boot camp. And skills move on all the time. Last time I freelanced, more than 3 years ago, the general level of skill was a lot lower and frankly you could turn up for jobs with quite a high level and surprise them away with whatever you could do. There was a lot of older guys around with "old world" skills, and because it took THEM a day to do one image, that was fine. Now it seems to have all changed ,they have either been fired or retired or something. Least thats my reading so far.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs