RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

making money

Old 03-06-2008, 05:08 AM

Re: making money

Thanks for people having input I asked in another Question about Canadians,looks pretty Bleak
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2008, 12:36 PM

We are 14 people in the studio where I work, only 1 of those is over 35, so it's fairly new school.

When I said that I just stop caring I only mean that I've completely stopped caring about how busy it is, or how important it is. I do my job, and I do it well (as good as I can anyways) and so far it's working out for me

Then again the great requests you get at times really don't help either:

"we need you to do this completely hi-res, the Raw files are here, and we need the finished product in 30 mins"

Happens ALL the time sadly. The times where I actually can take the time to really make something shine are sadly few and far between....

I can't wholeheartedly recommend advertising agency work, is all I was saying.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2008, 01:04 PM

it's not just the ad agencies that have that type of environment, i work for a large format printer and one of our biggest clients pulled a stunt like that last month..they cut 4 days off the production cycle and told us that if we didn't finish the project in time they would no longer be doing business with us..
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2008, 04:51 PM

Well, in answer to the original question... Back when I was making a living retouching I didn't have time to surf the internet all day. Now that I've been laid off and have all day to loaf around waiting for my unemployment check to be direct-deposited, I discovered this site!

Quote:
Big understatement, especially in regards to this board's members. Most here think a few hours spent on one image is crazy. Try 60. ... This is a business of perfection, invisibility, refinement, communication of ideas, art, commerce, science, color theory, input, output, processing, lighting, capture, anatomy. ... (do what you're told, work well with others, respect deadlines, do what it takes, good enough never flies, provide more than what's asked for). It's a collaborative effort, a business of interpretation, thick skin, big egos, beaten down egos, client pleasing, client wowing, subjectivity, and style.
Indeed! I'd say if you aren't prepared to put in literally THOUSANDS of hours learning the craft then you probably won't make it. When I was in college I was putting in at least 60 hours a week drawing; life drawing from live models, still lifes from posed and lit tableaus, and anatomy studies from books and plastic models. That's just under 1,000 hours of drawing per semester, and that's just learning how to "see" things clearly. I spent a few years after college with Photoshop as my main hobby, and then when I started retouching "for real" I was shocked at how much I still didn't know. Now, after 4 years at much more than full time in a pressure cooker environment, and I'm using my time reading tutorials on this site and others, reading Katrin Eismann's book, to fill gaps in my knowledge and technique. I have a long way to go if I am going to achieve my goal of becoming the Best Retoucher in the World.

Quote:
Hey, you'd be cranky too if you just spent 60 hours working on an image of the Olson twins.
Ha! The first time I was allowed to work on the Got Milk! campaign (and it was a big deal to me to be judged "worthy" at that point in my career) it was the Olsen Twins. (I did the retouching on this image, it's a composite of 3 or 4 shots: http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/200...0719/olsen.jpg) It was definitely more than 60 hours, and very stressful hours too... the art director was picky about who he would work with, and it was a secret that I was the one doing the actual work. His "approved" retoucher had to present the work at the light table and I had to hang around in the background and listen to the comments, the AD would leave, and the job would get handed back to me! So I was all excited that it was finally approved, it got released to one or two pubs, they had some cocaine/anorexia scandal, and the whole campaign got pulled.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2008, 07:16 AM

Great answer Abenormal,you made some great pointsabout learning things other than just retouching like Seeing and Drawing,This was one of the points behind this question.

The only thing I might add is what ANT said,its not only about learning But you must get your hands dirty)theres nothing like the real thing
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-11-2010, 05:16 AM

Question Re: making money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant View Post
ILook at those people who have been working with PS for 10 years and still suck.
I have seen many and asked myself why they still do crap. It supposed that people learns not only skills, also good taste while achieving practice... Why happens that the person in 10 years of work keeps doing crap?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-17-2010, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodegaGo View Post
i find it more of a pain in the ass socially than professionally. when meeting women there is no good point in the conversation to introduce your local and yet out-of-state residence. the most common response i get is straight out laughter, or con-descending sympathy

and yet i still get to work faster than my brooklyn based co-workers
yea- i would say socially it complicates things. Most of my friends live in Astoria, BK or NYC ..I live in LI..the few friends I have here are too busy playing housewife. Commuting is not my favorite thing, but I can't exactly afford rent either at the moment. And where I live has never affected me getting a job or not.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs