RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

making money

Old 02-27-2008, 06:24 AM

making money

I think not only me But many others are curious if people on here are actually making money and/or a living not just one or two people but in general.
Dataflow mentioned I asked the same question in a lot of forums sorry maybe I went about it the wrong way The question is not directed at any one individual.But it seems to me that people would want to know since a lot of time and effort goes into learning this skill,plus if your going to spend money putting up a webpage and time and energy promoting yourself.Dont you think its a good idea to get feed back from people in the business?
just my opinion
Zganie
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2008, 12:46 PM

Re: making money

I make a nice living manipulating photos.

If you want to make a living doing this, you have to be in the right market as well as have all the necessary skills and the eye. There are a billion people with Photoshop, few make a living doing it. Most of the magazines, ad agencies, etc are in the big cities. Someone has to have the budget to pay you. "Pretty good" doesn't cut it. there are quite a number of members on this board who make a living retouching. The majority however (thousands?) are fooling themselves greatly. Like anything, you have to be good to get paid and you have to be honest with yourself. Does your stuff look like that billboard, magazine ad, point of purchase display? I mean is it that good? No? Well then there you go. Look at how many people call themselves a photographer and have websites and everything. There are an equal number or more who are trying to make a living messing with photos. Doesn't mean they ever will.

a lot of time and effort goes into learning this skill

Big understatement, especially in regards to this board's members. Most here think a few hours spent on one image is crazy. Try 60. Some quit learning early on. Look at those people who have been working with PS for 10 years and still suck. There is only so much you can learn from poor teachers with limited information or from books or tutorials. You need to get your hands dirty working somewhere where things are done right and the nitpicking is endless. This is a business of perfection, invisibility, refinement, communication of ideas, art, commerce, science, color theory, input, output, processing, lighting, capture, anatomy....the list goes on and on, but at the same time it's a 'pixel monkey' job as well (do what you're told, work well with others, respect deadlines, do what it takes, good enough never flies, provide more than what's asked for). It's a collaborative effort, a business of interpretation, thick skin, big egos, beaten down egos, client pleasing, client wowing, subjectivity, and style.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2008, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant View Post
I make a nice living manipulating photos.

If you want to make a living doing this, you have to be in the right market as well as have all the necessary skills and the eye. There are a billion people with Photoshop, few make a living doing it. Most of the magazines, ad agencies, etc are in the big cities. Someone has to have the budget to pay you. "Pretty good" doesn't cut it. there are quite a number of members on this board who make a living retouching. The majority however (thousands?) are fooling themselves greatly. Like anything, you have to be good to get paid and you have to be honest with yourself. Does your stuff look like that billboard, magazine ad, point of purchase display? I mean is it that good? No? Well then there you go. Look at how many people call themselves a photographer and have websites and everything. There are an equal number or more who are trying to make a living messing with photos. Doesn't mean they ever will.

a lot of time and effort goes into learning this skill

Big understatement, especially in regards to this board's members. Most here think a few hours spent on one image is crazy. Try 60. Some quit learning early on. Look at those people who have been working with Photoshop for 10 years and still suck. There is only so much you can learn from poor teachers with limited information or from books or tutorials. You need to get your hands dirty working somewhere where things are done right and the nitpicking is endless. This is a business of perfection, invisibility, refinement, communication of ideas, art, commerce, science, color theory, input, output, processing, lighting, capture, anatomy....the list goes on and on, but at the same time it's a 'pixel monkey' job as well (do what you're told, work well with others, respect deadlines, do what it takes, good enough never flies, provide more than what's asked for). It's a collaborative effort, a business of interpretation, thick skin, big egos, beaten down egos, client pleasing, client wowing, subjectivity, and style.
You're getting nicer by the minute
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2008, 06:01 PM

Hey, you'd be cranky too if you just spent 60 hours working on an image of the Olson twins.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2008, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant View Post

Most here think a few hours spent on one image is crazy. Try 60. Some quit learning early on. Look at those people who have been working with Photoshop for 10 years and still suck. There is only so much you can learn from poor teachers with limited information or from books or tutorials. You need to get your hands dirty working somewhere where things are done right and the nitpicking is endless. This is a business of perfection, invisibility, refinement, communication of ideas, art, commerce, science, color theory, input, output, processing, lighting, capture, anatomy....the list goes on and on, but at the same time it's a 'pixel monkey' job as well (do what you're told, work well with others, respect deadlines, do what it takes, good enough never flies, provide more than what's asked for). It's a collaborative effort, a business of interpretation, thick skin, big egos, beaten down egos, client pleasing, client wowing, subjectivity, and style.

werd, Antman.

Last edited by Benny Profane; 02-27-2008 at 09:25 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2008, 09:14 PM

Making money is one thing...making a living is another. For those of you that make a living (car, insurance, family, house) my hat is off to you...Personally I feel you not only have to be good, but you need to be able to market and promote your talent.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2008, 06:50 AM

Thanks Ant Best comment anyones ever made on here.Its the reason I was asking people who had put up websites if they were making money.

Also the reason for the questions are because,I give a seminar ever week on photography to students,its about the photography business all aspects not just photography but retouching prepress and photography etc..
we have people come and talk I try to dig up info and I like to get the info from someone who knows
sorry if this is long but as was stated its a lot of training and certain skills are needed NO USE KIDDING YOURSELF
thanks again and anyone else please give an opinion
ZGANIE
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2008, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydog View Post
Making money is one thing...making a living is another. For those of you that make a living (car, insurance, family, house) my hat is off to you...Personally I feel you not only have to be good, but you need to be able to market and promote your talent.
no, you have to be good and not live in south carolina...
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2008, 07:18 AM

Yes I work from home as a high end beauty and fashion retoucher in the UK. I also go up to London to work in studios at times.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2008, 08:33 AM

i'm not particularly good at it (not horrible, mind you, but i just know many other people that are better than i), but i make a living retouching high-end stuff, not rockstar money but money enough to support myself in NYC, and even support my own small business on the side

i like to think that speed counts as well, and not just quality. i mean, as long as you're talking about making money, and not the "art" and the "craft" bit of the business
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs