RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Craigslist, ideal place to find cheap retouchers?

Old 04-01-2008, 11:37 PM

Re: Craigslist, ideal place to find cheap retouche

Quote:
Originally Posted by saby View Post
best way to learn from seniors to chat about the work, with the wine in the hand
assuming they're willing to share, i once worked with a guy who had set up the high-end drum scanners for a printer that was having problems getting the color right..based on the questions i was asking him he told me i had the foundation to be a really good scanner operator once he taught me some of his knowledge..so i asked, "when do we start?"..he replied"pfft, i don't need anymore competition"
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-02-2008, 12:12 AM

And you are surprised they haven't found anyone who qualifies for $18 an hour "in LA" let alone on a swing shift? Never mind $18 per hr on any shift!!! Is this person supposed to live in a shelter? Actually I saw a similar ad offering a whopping $10 per hour!!!! Whenever I see these type of ads I really have to restrain myself from replying something nasty; however I always come to the same conclusion: it's not worth my time. But it still pisses me off!
I'm over it!!!
~Nancy

www.PhotoArt123.com
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-02-2008, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Fisher View Post
but before the whiskey-drinking or things may not be so prolific, or would they...

Ever search on this site?...
http://www.indeed.com/

first the wine and discussion, and then prolific whisky or pálinka drinking thats the tutorial LOL
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-02-2008, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelzombie View Post
assuming they're willing to share, i once worked with a guy who had set up the high-end drum scanners for a printer that was having problems getting the color right..based on the questions i was asking him he told me i had the foundation to be a really good scanner operator once he taught me some of his knowledge..so i asked, "when do we start?"..he replied"pfft, i don't need anymore competition"
well I know Ur story,in Hungary there wasn't any opportunity to learn any of photoshoping even image-theory except at the University of Accommodated Graphic, there wasn't any of books or courses about, internet shucks! So if somebody got to know some new, that was top secret. I've started to work as a scanner operator(crossfied magnascan),my senior fellow kept me in deep shadow about the work till he recognised he worked hard and I was in the peace of a middle sized Buddha for my worktime, than he started to teach. So when I got my fellows to supervise them I've started to teach immediately and discus about the faster methods, for the sake of my and the work cause.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-12-2008, 09:28 AM

$10 per hour? sign me up! *joke* I doubt could afford halfway house shelter in LA for $10 per hour. HA!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-03-2008, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saby View Post
best way to learn from seniors to chat about the work, with the wine in the hand
I wish! I wish! I wish!

Last edited by Kavou; 05-06-2008 at 08:27 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2008, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadams007 View Post
$10 per hour? sign me up! *joke* I doubt could afford halfway house shelter in LA for $10 per hour. HA!
$18/hour, maybe that will help you
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-24-2008, 07:04 PM

Newbie Re: Craigslist, ideal place to find cheap retouche

For what it's worth, I just moved positions from a studio in LA and I can tell you that most of the people on this forum would not be capable or qualified to fill that position of $18/hr. Working in RGB is nice and forgiving. WYSIWYG. Working in CMYK is a whole other skillset. You have to go by the numbers. You have to have knowledge of color theory, meaning you need to know by looking at a proof and a printed sample what percentage of which colors you need to add or subtract to hit your target. Employers in LA have gotten used to the fact that almost everyone that shows up claiming to be a photoshop expert actually will have only RGB experience, which means that the image is only half way to being printable on any press. If they have to put time into training someone and if they're going to be responsible for all of the rounds of bad proofs and wasted ink trying to get someone up to speed, it's only fair that they pay a reduced rate. Personally, I think the $18/hr opportunity is just that--an opportunity-- for someone that wants to invest some time in a paid tutorial on how to make themselves more marketable and well rounded. Just to dispel any myths, in LA where there is a premium on salaries a GREAT retoucher can make $40/hr. On occasion they can get higher than that, but it's for someone that has put in their time at a company and proven themselves firsthand. It's for someone that works at a FAST pace and can multitask. It's for someone with great people skills that can interact with clients and dazzle them and inspire confidence. Most however make mid to high $20's, plus full medical, dental, vision, 401k, etc. Realize also that a fulltime employer is responsible for unemployment insurance and workers comp insurance to boot...so if you're making 75k a year WITH overtime factoring in (assuming you're not lazy and you're willing to work long days when needed and a saturday here and there on occasion) the company is actually paying over 6 figures to keep you on staff.

Now, with all that being said...there are some rare and exclusive positions out there for those top shelf few people. I'd be willing to be though that every one of those people once held an $18/hr job so they could learn the ins and outs.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-25-2008, 03:34 AM

$18 an hour is actually not bad for those that are trying to get into this field or those that are already working at the mid-level, but they were looking for a SENIOR retoucher. Like you said, retouchers at that level probably already invested a lot of time in the company they work and are highly unlikely to switch job only to get half of their current salary. It was certainly a good opportunity for the right retoucher that needed lessons in CMYK if they had the intention to train, but their job descriptions didn't seem like they were looking for a retoucher that was not ready to hit the ground running. I personally wouldn't mind the $18/hr pay if there's a company out there that's willing to train me in CMYK even if I'm going to have a longer commute with gas prices that already hit $5 per gallon.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-25-2008, 11:46 AM

Good thing my resume has a previous marketing and print job title on it.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs