RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Photo Retoucher Rates!?

Old 04-05-2008, 01:44 AM

Lightbulb Photo Retoucher Rates!?

So I've seen this question been thrown around. Retouchers offer basic rates when it comes to images used for portfolio only..but once it gets into Advertisement/Publishing it's a different story with their rates and much higher. So for Advertisement, Editorial, and etc. what should the Retouchers rates be?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2008, 04:31 AM

Re: Photo Retoucher Rates!?

Hi Bianca
1)Your right this question has been asked many times.Doubt you will get a direct answer

2)Maybe part of the problem is location,as was mentioned in an earlier post an ad from craigslist offering 80000 a year (I think) in New York was not considered that good.
So what I am basically saying depending on your location lets say New York versus Montreal where Montreal being a lot cheaper to live but rates and salaries are probably a lot lower.
zganie
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2008, 11:48 AM

Right of course. But we're speaking of salaries where I was directing the question more to "self employed/ Freelance" Retouchers.

But of course when it comes to full time jobs location plays a bit part. I'm located in Miami where the cost of living is very high so salaries should be high. Although that's not the case here (economy very bad).

Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2008, 09:52 PM

The question falls to clientele and material. If you're freelancing, fixing old family photographs, good luck trying to get 80k or more a year doing it, unless you're going to also incorporate a full photo studio and take on full time photography to boot (the route I'm headed down).
If, on the other hand, you're retouching for a major magazine, you have to consider royalties and other things of that nature. The photographer took the picture, but you made it look the way it did, and the owner of the magazine has to pay you a royalty for each copy of the photograph for which you own a small portion of the intellectual property.
So fix granny's picture for $15.00, print it at 16 × 20 enlarged on luster for an extra $19.50, hit her for $25.00 to dry mount the photograph, and you might make $40.00-$50.00 after product cost.
OR, you can retouch a photograph for a major magazine, they can pay you $0.10 for each issue since you own a small portion of the copyright (if your contract is written correctly) - multiply that by who knows how many issues times twelve months ... and if you're good enough you might even find yourself with contracts in more than one magazine. That's how you get 80K+ as a freelance. "Free" being the operative word here.
If you want a salary, you won't be freelance. You'll be employed. If you freelance while employed, it will be a conflict of interests, and you won't be employed for long if you're caught.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-06-2008, 01:06 AM

Well that is the case here in Miami for many people...where they are emplo'yed by a company but does freelance..and the company sometimes knows and doesn't really care, they only care if the employee is doing their job and doesnt steal any of the companies direct clients. (I just know off of experience with multiple people). Like I said the economy is very bad here in Miami and employers know that artists will go multiple routes for more money and they can't really stop them.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-06-2008, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFrazier View Post
OR, you can retouch a photograph for a major magazine, they can pay you $0.10 for each issue since you own a small portion of the copyright (if your contract is written correctly)
Never heard of a contract like that. The photographer doesn't get any royalty from a magazine. It's a flat fee, that includes the publishing rights. The retoucher doesn't have any copyright for his/her work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-06-2008, 08:43 AM

I guess it works differently in this industry than in others. I know that a photographer owns the rights to his or her photographs until/unless they are sold, as does a writer, actor, film maker, musician, or any other sort of artist, and they are all entitled to royalties upon the reproduction of the material. Since they are earned in so many of these other industries, I assumed it would hold true in this one as well. I wasn't actually speaking from knowledge or experience. I was offering speculation based upon the common place in other artistic arenas.
My apologies if I don't know what I'm talking about.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-06-2008, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovis View Post
Never heard of a contract like that. The photographer doesn't get any royalty from a magazine. It's a flat fee, that includes the publishing rights. The retoucher doesn't have any copyright for his/her work.
I really doubt a magazine will ever want to bother having to pay a retoucher 10 cents every issue...rather then just pay one royalty and not deal with it again.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-06-2008, 10:53 AM

Quote:
I guess it works differently in this industry than in others. I know that a photographer owns the rights to his or her photographs until/unless they are sold, as does a writer, actor, film maker, musician, or any other sort of artist, and they are all entitled to royalties upon the reproduction of the material. Since they are earned in so many of these other industries, I assumed it would hold true in this one as well. I wasn't actually speaking from knowledge or experience. I was offering speculation based upon the common place in other artistic arenas.
My apologies if I don't know what I'm talking about.
I'm sorry, didn't mean to say what I did as if I was disagreeing with you...just off of what you previously stated I then replied with my own experience of how it has been here.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-06-2008, 03:44 PM

It's no thing. I'm not bothered or offended in any way. I was trying to make sense out of how someone could make that sort of money in the "retouching" industry and applying to that some common sense and what I know of other artistic fields. Authors, for example, get about $0.11 per paperback sold, and $0.30 per hardback sold (it might be more than that nowadays). The money earned goes towards the advance given at the time the contract is negotiated by the agent until said amount is paid back. Thereafter, all royalties go to the author on a quarterly basis.
I know that photographers have copyright rights. The contract the lawyer drew up for me for doing wedding shoots has a clause discussing who retains the rights to the photographs. They are my intellectual property, and they can't be reproduced without my permission (not that that will stop anyone in the digital age). Major magazines aren't above the same laws. They have to purchase those rights from the photographer, or pay him or her for each use of the photograph. I would be willing to guarantee that there is a contract involved for each photographer working with each and every magazine, guaranteeing the magazines' protection against copyright infringement, else there'd be lawsuits galore. Putting the photographer's name under the picture isn't enough to satisfy the law.
Even in retouching, for example, if you wanted to retouch an Olan Mills photograph, you would have to get a release from them at a cost of $15.00 per photograph, and if the photograph is less than three years old, the release is only good for a limited duration. Copyright is king.

So I assumed that there would be something similar with retouching after some form or fashion. After all, it is an art form, and the end product wouldn't be what it is without the artistry of the retoucher.
BUT ... I've never actually tried to work for another company before. I do retouching privately through my own business (If Only Photos), and I've never researched the law concerning copyright issues on the subject. Perhaps I should.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:
I would be willing to guarantee that there is a contract involved for each photographer working with each and every magazine, guaranteeing the magazines' protection against copyright infringement, else there'd be lawsuits galore. Putting the photographer's name under the picture isn't enough to satisfy the law.
Nope, that's not how things work in the real world. Especially today. No way a retoucher is in on some sort of percentage. Hell, 95% of the time the retoucher gets no credit at all. You know, here's a photo by Annie Lebowitz. Yeah, it does look heavily retouched, doesn't it? Who did the retouching? Beats me. Annie's a great photograher, though, isn't she?
Just expect a nice little flat or hourly rate and a pat on the butt.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2008, 02:37 PM

AFrazier,

You need to stop replying to threads and spreading your misinformation and general bullshit. Worse is when you post an example. stop.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2008, 02:51 PM

Generally no credit. The world hasn't woken up yet to exactly how much is now done. There would be some damn rich retouchers out there with a percentage
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2008, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
Nope, that's not how things work in the real world. Especially today. No way a retoucher is in on some sort of percentage. Hell, 95% of the time the retoucher gets no credit at all. You know, here's a photo by Annie Lebowitz. Yeah, it does look heavily retouched, doesn't it? Who did the retouching? Beats me. Annie's a great photograher, though, isn't she?
"there is a contract involved for each photographer ..."

I wasn't talking about retouching anymore. Someone said I was mistaken. I said okay.

There are copyrights on photographs for photographers.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2008, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant View Post
AFrazier,

You need to stop replying to threads and spreading your misinformation and general bullshit. Worse is when you post an example. stop.
Completely unnecessary. I haven't argued the point. I was mistaken. I said so. I merely explained why I thought it might be that way and reiterated that I was mistaken. There was no call for you to speak to me that way.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2008, 07:53 PM

Quote:
So I assumed that there would be something similar with retouching after some form or fashion. After all, it is an art form, and the end product wouldn't be what it is without the artistry of the retoucher.
BUT ... I've never actually tried to work for another company before. I do retouching privately through my own business (If Only Photos), and I've never researched the law concerning copyright issues on the subject. Perhaps I should.
I quoted the wrong part.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2008, 08:29 PM

whats going on here?? lol
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2008, 08:30 PM

Again, I was explaining why I posted what I did, and emphasized that I've never researched it, and that it was an assumption on my part that it might work similar to other industries. I didn't just shoot someone's dog here. This is a web forum. Lighten up.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2008, 08:33 PM

don't know what happened..lol
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2008, 08:37 PM

One (maybe more) posters on this thread got bent out of shape because I posted bad information because I, admittedly, didn't really know what I was talking about.
But I said as much, as I recall. Apologies were made. All was well. Then posts went on criticizing the original post as though the issue had never been resolved.
So I am trying to clear up the confusion. I don't much care for ugly comments. People make mistakes.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-08-2008, 04:38 PM

"I, admittedly, didn't really know what I was talking about." -not often anyone makes that admission round here. Well done
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-10-2008, 02:27 PM

Quote:
One (maybe more)
So I am trying to clear up the confusion. I don't much care for ugly comments. People make mistakes.
It's unfortunate that u reaped the ugly end of ur comments, hopefully u will b a little more careful about what u spew in here. We twist images not so much facts, well knowingly anywayz.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-10-2008, 06:30 PM

$125 per hour for freelance agency work in Orlando. That's the low end. The agency charges the client $185-200.

Fun, somewhat volatile thread.

Cheers,

bp
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-12-2008, 08:22 AM

Newbie Re: Photo Retoucher Rates!?

wow, i thought this was about "rates". anyhoo...I've seen freelance rates range low as $20 per hour to $120 per hour. This mostly depends on retoucher experience and client demand. Some photographers are going with their printing labs which are something like $8 per facial retouch head. sheez! I've even heard rumor of new software that automatically does facial retouch - not too accurate - but labs like Miller's Imaging only charging $3 per image. whats a freelancer to do ?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-14-2008, 10:46 AM

I'd never trust a program that does automatic fixing.

$3 a retouch..I mean how much work would a lab really put in an image for that amount, that's not trusting either.

It seems more high end and high demand retouchers are the ones that make it in this dark world...lol
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-14-2008, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bianca Carosio View Post
It seems more high end and high demand retouchers are the ones that make it in this dark world...lol
There is no other market in this day and age. Everyone has a computer, a digital camera and photoshop. It's only those that have the finest skills that are going to get paid, now and in the future.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-14-2008, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant View Post
There is no other market in this day and age. Everyone has a computer, a digital camera and photoshop. It's only those that have the finest skills that are going to get paid, now and in the future.
ha-le-lu-ya!!! lololol
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-17-2008, 09:36 AM

I know for sure that there will always be people asking for to much money than they deserve.But who decides what deserves each.I am one of the best photographers in Romania.I am not making more than 30-35 K a year.For me (learning 15 years and spending more than 100k for equipment ) watching you talking about 80k beeing not so much.WAKE UP people.There are many much more dificult jobs than retouching and earning much less.I see that everyone compares with New York, Los Angeles, London,,,,what about rest of the world??? I need also a retoucher but i live in Bucharest.That means i'm already dead???????
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-17-2008, 02:57 PM

CMS,

I emailed you but you never responded...lol
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-17-2008, 03:50 PM

looking at some website..Amazing
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-17-2008, 10:53 PM

Quote:
CMS,

I emailed you but you never responded...lol
You must have a wrong adress

cristianstudio@yahoo.co.uk
office@cristianmihai.ro
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-18-2008, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMS View Post
I know for sure that there will always be people asking for to much money than they deserve.But who decides what deserves each.I am one of the best photographers in Romania.I am not making more than 30-35 K a year.For me (learning 15 years and spending more than 100k for equipment ) watching you talking about 80k beeing not so much.WAKE UP people.There are many much more dificult jobs than retouching and earning much less.I see that everyone compares with New York, Los Angeles, London,,,,what about rest of the world??? I need also a retoucher but i live in Bucharest.That means i'm already dead???????
my wifes friend makes 65K as the EA to a head surgeon and that doesn't include a bonus, i'm sure it's stressful job and i've heard that doctors are worse than corporate types but i'd say it's an easier job to do than retouching...
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-18-2008, 07:11 AM

Should I try resending?? CMS?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-18-2008, 08:39 AM

Quote:
CMS, don't think this is all about locations, whether NY, LA or whereever. This is an online-business, it simply doesn't matter, where on this planet you are. Companies have their products built and assembled in China or Africa for less than $5 man/hour and shipped back to their own country. So why on earth should anybody hire a guy in London if they can get exactly the same product in less time for less money?

Anyway, people asking for those charges have probably never ever had a single job in this business.

People tend to forget the very basic things it needs to become one of the 80k guys:

1. There's more to this business than just removing blemishes and applying filters. Good retouchers have skills that go far beyond the stuff a photographer can do by himself. And even if the photographer has the same skills, the professional will be able to do it in less time.

2. The elite has a decent base to build on. They exactly know about color-correction and pre-print stuff. None of them will ever even think about messing up CMYK conversion.

3. Of course, they have spent years and years practicing to become so super-good everybody admires them. It's nothing you get by reading tutorials and using pre-written actions.

And of course, the business part itself:

4. You need customers and compete the market. Sounds simple, but there are already a bunch of excellent people out there, so what makes you so special? What can you give the customer, nobody else can give them? And even if you have that special thing, how do you make your potential customer paying attention to your work? Photographers and magazines get a load of spam every day, why should somebody read your email?

5. You need to be 100% pro. This means a customer calling at 5pm wants the job to be done by 8am next morning, not "I am sorry, but I need two days more as I can't keep up with my homework" or "Sorry, my kids are sick". Everything needs to be pro, from first order to the last invoice.

6. Consider a long-term career. Things won't come overnight. Nobody started by earning 80k in two months or so. You start off by doing a bit of restauration for the local photo-shop, then you ask to put an ad in the window and so on...

7. and last: You need the money to start off. Until you earn enough to make a living (which needs some time, see above), there's no chance to be a fulltime freelancer unless you have enough savings to live from.

Maybe people should think that over before they ask for rates...
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-18-2008, 12:00 PM

Good/general info. for people that don't know much about the subject! thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-20-2008, 07:03 PM

I work as a retoucher for a firm servicing clients across the Country as well as Internationally and our rates do not vary at all across clients.
As far as obtaining "per-publication" royalties from major publishers, I have not experienced this at all; our fee is pre-determined and flat. It stops at final image delivery.
Working at a firm, we focus on high-volume production. So a major restoration job which might take me 6 hours in a freelance environment would take me 2 at work. Of course, in the freelance case, I might charge $60.00 as opposed to $20.00 at a firm.
Clients who work with our firm expect a pre-determined price per basic retouch/face whereas if done freelance, the price may be determined on an hourly basis (i.e. $60/hour). However, in freelance work, there is never a guarantee that the work will be there, and so the salary would most likely be much less.
What gets me is the restorations that are "sub-contracted" to us from pro photo studios. We may charge the studio $20.00, but the studio passes on a $60.00 bill to their customer. It's just the reality of working in this type of environment.
To make a long story short, I think if you are a freelance retoucher working with a major firm, you should bill hourly and at a high rate (in my opinion,$60.00/hour) - and don't expect any further publication royalties. If you are with a firm, go with your businesses posted rates.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-07-2008, 07:30 AM

I do not do peoples folio work for free.... If they are serious or any good, they will pay.

My charges have gone down over the years, I now charge between £100 - £150 per hour.

I work 5 full days a week. If they want weekend or overnight, I will do it, but I charge more.

How many times have I quoted on a job, only to hear the words " Oh, I know someone who works from home, he can do that job for £50, Why should I pay you £750?

I tell em to go for it.

How many times do they call back a couple of days later, in a panic?

Asking if I can re do it... I do it, and I charge em more.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-07-2008, 09:17 AM

Just wanted to add something

You thing i charge every client the same price????

NO NO NO No photographer will do that ever.I will charge more for clients with big accounts because the spreading of my work will be bigger.And i charge less smaller client who does not have the financial power.Every photographer does that.

Why you do not do that!!! Not everybody has the same money.If i would have it probably i would move somewhere else.

And i am glad to talk about this because i think that is one of the purposes here at retouchpro

Last edited by CMS; 05-07-2008 at 09:21 AM. Reason: sudden lost of memory
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-07-2008, 09:54 AM

Sorry, was that aimed at me? Not to sure.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-08-2008, 07:16 AM

I may not have known what I was talking about in my initial response, but it turned out to be beneficial nonetheless. There have been a lot of good replies that have taught me a great deal about the business end of things.
As it happens ... I charge $60.00 per hour as a freelance anyway, so it was interesting to know that I was doing the right thing in that respect.
From another perspective, knowing some of the salaries that come with this work (which was more than a little surprising to learn), it makes me wonder if I might consider pursuing a career with a professional firm. I have the skills, knowledge, and experience to do so (at least from the artistic point of view if not necessarily all the specifics of the business end). I had no idea they made that much, or that it was such a wide field.
Believe it or not, before finding this forum, I felt pretty isolated at my desk. While I knew there were people who did this for a living, I had no clue it was such a huge trade.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-08-2008, 07:24 AM

Back in the good old days.... I was getting $600 per hour!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-08-2008, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftp-Jeff View Post
Back in the good old days.... I was getting $600 per hour!

Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2008, 07:26 PM

I live in North Carolina outside of Greensboro.

I worked almost 10 years for prepress company that did work for Hearst Publication and National Geographics. At that time I earned 21.00 an hour plus benefits. That company has since gone out of business. Oh I never got any royalties shucks. Oh one more thing, DO NOT REMOVE THE SCAR FROM HARRISON FORD'S CHIN.

I now work for printing company and do not do any retouching just trapping and stepping films for offset and flexo presses. Not as much fun but it pays the bills

My freelance fee for retouching is $45 per hour working for local ad agencies and photographers. No hard proofs.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-05-2008, 07:17 AM

Very cool..thanks for writing that..

"DO NOT REMOVE THE SCAR FROM HARRISON FORD'S CHIN."
lol you want to go into detail what happened?

Your hourly rate is good but I'm guessing that is for portfolio use images only or it is more then that? Any links to your work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlaau View Post
I live in North Carolina outside of Greensboro.

I worked almost 10 years for prepress company that did work for Hearst Publication and National Geographics. At that time I earned 21.00 an hour plus benefits. That company has since gone out of business. Oh I never got any royalties shucks. Oh one more thing, DO NOT REMOVE THE SCAR FROM HARRISON FORD'S CHIN.

I now work for printing company and do not do any retouching just trapping and stepping films for offset and flexo presses. Not as much fun but it pays the bills

My freelance fee for retouching is $45 per hour working for local ad agencies and photographers. No hard proofs.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2008, 06:35 PM

Sorry it took so long to get back but I've been busy.

As far as Harrison Ford's scar if you take it off (magazine cover & article) you have to put it back on. I think it was for Redbook in the late 1990's.

You can see some of my retouching at marlaau.com

Last edited by marlaau; 06-21-2008 at 06:42 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-02-2009, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Not you're not dead. Check your PM-@
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2009, 07:43 AM

I was wondering this question myself. I'm new to the retouching industry but I want to make it my sole income source someday. I know I'm good at it and I really enjoy it. I have some potential clients in upstate NY (wedding photographers mostly) but b/c of my inexperience and lack of references for this field I'm scared to charge too much and scare the client off. It's not a big city and these photographers are charging very little to their clients to begin with so it's been hard negotiating.

I was thinking I could charge some sort of flat fee of around $600 per wedding for just basic cleanup, color, and resizing. Anything more would be some kind of per hour basis?

I was also wondering what is a good way to get your name out there and market yourself to photographers? Is there some online resources where people are looking for retouchers?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-06-2009, 02:25 AM

hi every one,
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-06-2009, 02:27 AM

www.coroflot.com/roseisrise
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-07-2009, 03:37 AM

Quote:
don't know what happened..lol
It's very common to see these kind of snowball of misunderstanding getting bigger and bigger around here. It's like some poeple canot stay without pointing the mistakes of others in a way that the "mistake" looks like something very dramatic which misleads people to think that bananas born in the moon and such just to feel they're somehow superiors while pointing such "mistakes" in others... I don't know why some people diminish others opinions so ofently in this particular forum. Sometimes it looks like a nerds forum haha! And it's very funny!.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-07-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum3 View Post
It's very common to see these kind of snowball of misunderstanding getting bigger and bigger around here. It's like some poeple canot stay without pointing the mistakes of others in a way that the "mistake" looks like something very dramatic which misleads people to think that bananas born in the moon and such just to feel they're somehow superiors while pointing such "mistakes" in others... I don't know why some people diminish others opinions so ofently in this particular forum. Sometimes it looks like a nerds forum haha! And it's very funny!.
Bananas born ON the moon, not IN the moon, be careful the way you word things or they will be incorrect, if you cant pay better attention to what you are typing please leave it off the forum as your laziness does more damage than good.

sorry, couldnt resist.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-07-2009, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack The Ripper View Post
Bananas born ON the moon, not IN the moon, be careful the way you word things or they will be incorrect, if you cant pay better attention to what you are typing please leave it off the forum as your laziness does more damage than good.

sorry, couldnt resist.
HAha... Also "cant" is "can't" lol XD
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-07-2009, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post

yep Benny is right very rarely if ever you could find in the magazine who did the retouch sometimes they would not state even who is the photographer especially in fashion magazines.

However the rate is not the only thing that you would earn by doing retouch for big magazines , do not forget that having in your portfolio image that has been published on the cover on leading magazine is a big plus in getting clients.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-07-2009, 07:27 AM

Know what? Like most things, it's simple. If you are any good you will get high budgets. If you are not, you will get peanuts. EASY!

If you set yourself up properly, people will take you seriously.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-07-2009, 07:33 AM

FTP-Jeff is quite right. At the beginning it's just peanuts, but after that period of time, you beging earning all what you didn't charged before.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-07-2009, 08:29 AM

If this is your studio.... You will earn no respect.
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...---bedroom.jpg

This one will tell people you are serious.....
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...er_landing.jpg

Then you can start charging, as long as you are up to it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-07-2009, 11:07 AM

i can tell you that i charge $100 or $125 an hour. i am based in los angeles and predominantly get hired by record companies. this is a side job for me and i know that i charge somewhat on the lower end of the spectrum.
hope that helps.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2009, 06:23 AM

Quote:
If this is your studio.... You will earn no respect.
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...---bedroom.jpg

This one will tell people you are serious.....
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...er_landing.jpg

Then you can start charging, as long as you are up to it.
holy moly! Is that your workspace jeff???
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2010, 07:53 AM

Yes, it is.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2010, 09:11 AM

Nice ,looks very much like the studio where my husband works,I wont say where as I don't want to tempt fate.
Sadly they have just laid off people again(about 3 times in 3 years).
They pay their offsite freelancers £1.50 an image for scanning and medium weight retouching which sounds a lot until you realise that it is quite difficult to do more than 4 an hour some days which would equate to minimum wage in the uk if you worked full time somewhere .
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2010, 09:18 AM

1.50 an image? People that do work for that price, are the people that have destroyed retouching!

SOMETIMES I DESPAIR! Glad I left the UK!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2010, 11:45 AM

LOL you should check out the photoscanning online sites that charge 60 or 70p an image if you think that is bad. That really belittles the skill.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2010, 11:52 AM

Well personally I can't wait for the release of new retouching software..... I am involved with one at the moment. It will out perform PS. Will be impossible to copy, and hopefully cost in the region of 10-20K. As long as it can just prove it is FAR superior to PS. I hope it can.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2010, 02:54 AM

It's okay to me that the prices are getting lower as far as it gets more and more automated and the costs are smaller, but which really annoys me is that people is getting more and more familiarized with automated work instead more artistically and expensive handwork stuff.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2010, 10:42 AM

My average rate for work is currently $25/hour CDN.

Though, if the work is simple and straight forward, such as a series of images that just need simple blemish removal, skin softening, or a mild airbrushing, I'll do it for $2-5 per image.

Some have said I should be charging more, because I'm not bad at what I do; but, when I see the work of some others like Flora I think, "I'm not good enough yet."
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2010, 10:50 AM

Yeah? but you are driving the price down for everyone, does not matter how good or bad you are!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2010, 11:00 AM

Sorry, I don't subscribe to the theory.

For instance, in the video field, I charge $20 to convert one hour of video from VHS to DVD; my local "competition" will convert up to four hours of video for $15. It doesn't affect my business because, in the end, I offer a higher quality of service.

Someone who is good at what they do in their field will always make what they're worth; regardless of what the competition is charging.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2010, 11:04 AM

When I have the time, I will explain and prove the fact..... I am off out cruising in the Mopar!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2010, 11:12 AM

No matter how you try to "prove" it; the only fact is that no two retouchers have the same skill set, and therefore no two retouchers are worth the same amount of money.

Would a person who is just starting out in retouching charge the same as someone who has been retouching for 20 years? That would be absolutely absurd.

The retoucher who can offer a higher quality service can charge more; because they can DO more, and do it faster and better.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2010, 04:56 PM

OK, I won't bother!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2010, 09:14 AM

Bianca,
from your site, you seem to have done quite a lot of paid work.
Are you unsure if you are charging the right amount?
I think some retouchers will be fairly secretive about how much they charge. Just like most photographers don't advertise their prices openly. Thats why
on forums like this you may not get a obvious answer.
Why not ask around in Miami as to what your competitors are charging? Or get a friend to do it for you...

My experience in London, is that retouching is pretty expensive over here compared to USA.

G

Last edited by digitalgrb8; 06-18-2010 at 09:20 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2010, 06:45 PM

Quote:
If you freelance while employed, it will be a conflict of interests, and you won't be employed for long if you're caught.

Unless you have it put into your contract that you can freelance on the side :-) Contracts can be wonderful things if you can understand what they say and negotiate for what you want.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-21-2010, 03:33 AM

I've been in commercial advertising in asia, Singapore.
I earn about 50K USD as permanent digital imaging artist.
Considering Singapore is one of the top 10 highest cost of living. Nothing is cheap here except cheap hawker food.

The rates for freelancer here usually charge by job basis and charges clients up to $200USD/hr.

I observe that the job nature and client's preferences are rather different in asia, eu & us. I have worked with agencies from NY, Bangkok, Dubai, AUS, BeiJing, South Africa, Middle East, Mumbai, Malaysia, HongKong, Japan, South Korea, Vietnam. Some of them needs heavy retouch, some are demanding, some believe more in photography less retouch, & many more.

Most of the time hr rates don't work well here, considering extensive revision, poor photography. Usually you just have to see the raw shots from the photographer in the brief 1st before quoting the job. Photography is a luxury here, the ever changing brief and the tight timeline do not allow time for props, casting and shoot. Thus stock images always come into play as it is cheap and fast. Therefore if you charge very high and you get a whole lot of stock photos with different perspective,lighting & resolution for the brief, you get into deep shyt meeting client expectations.

Cheap, fast and good doesn't exist. In the present market, every client wants you to be fast and good, .. and cheap. But believe in yourself, if you are fast and real good, charge expensive.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-02-2010, 07:15 AM

Quote:
OK, I won't bother!
Ha! Nice one

I used to work as a photographer and I saw prices dropping all the time and realised that the industry was dying when photographers (and I mean pro photographers) were shooting for prestigious magazine for free, just so they could "put it in their portfolio".

Big deal.

This won't pay the bills for the running of the studio and it gives a bad message to art directors/agencies/agents etc. whom then expect everyone to work for free and the prices begin to drop for everyone blah, blah etc.

Also, these same photographers are now in trouble because everyone is struggling and they have helped by driving the price down for everyone else.

Take note

I now see Artworker and Graphic Design jobs advertised with add ons like, "some retouching skills needed" or "retouching required" like it's a second hand skill thrown in.

I was shooting on 'blad with Leaf backs and when I gave out some of my work to the agencies in London to be retouched, the returned quality was gutter raking pee poor, so I decided to do it myself and soon I was getting clients.

Why? Because I cared about the finished output and had knowledge of being behind a camera and I spoke with the photographer or AD who knew what they wanted to achieve (hopefully! ).

I get so fed up when I see these ads for £1 per photo retouching. I call it "cornflake box" retouching ie. badly cut out images, normally placed on a white background with the edges of the model softened badly due to being cut out in Photoshop. Normally seen on the back of cornflake boxes.

Disgusting.

I once did a shoot of a watch and had to remove some of the numbers on the dial for the client. When I saw the finished piece which was placed into the advert, the AD had decided to change the colour of the watch from orange to green, but did it so badly that you could still see the orange bleeding around the edges, so in effect they spent £2k on photography and £500 on retouching, and then gave it to the mac monkey in the office to ruin the advert.

The mind boggles...
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs