RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Photographer to Retoucher...Advice needed Pls!

Old 04-10-2008, 08:17 AM

Smile Photographer to Retoucher...Advice needed Pls!

Hey,
I'm a photographer/ Studio Manager, running a portrait studio for a large company. We use photoshop everyday for basic retouching. I am wanting to move into retouching professionally, but am lost as to where to start. Is there a course I must have under my belt? Apart from knowing photoshop inside out what other tools are used? Where do I start? What are the best agencies? Any help or advice would be very gratefully received!

Many thanks,
Allie.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-11-2008, 04:39 AM

Re: Photographer to Retoucher...Advice needed Pls!

Hi Allie, I say this over and over when people ask. To be really great you must know how to draw. Take some figure drawing and or anatomy drawing classes. A lot of people have the basic knowledge of photoshop and then therefore think that they can retouch. But to be better then the tech's you need the drawing/painting skills. Then just beat the pavement(or internet, I should say).ha! And for that there are a lot of good threads on this site and National Association of Photoshop Professionals.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-11-2008, 08:03 AM

Thumbs up Re: Photographer to Retoucher...Advice needed Pls!

Thanks wtowle. Much appreciated. Is this what potential employers look for? Also, I'm finding it hard to get a foot in the door regarding job vacancies, so I will check out the NAPP. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-11-2008, 10:40 AM

Why do you have to know how to draw? I draw stick people and I make a nice living at this. What are you drawing?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-12-2008, 09:12 AM

Seems kind of backwards, but anyways. I actually started out working for Miller's Imaging, I knew bits of photoshop before i worked there. What helped me was the practice. Spending lots of time with photoshop, learning tools, what they do, how they affect the image. And learning quick keys only made it faster since most retouchers will use one hand on key board and other using stylus on a wacom tablet. Drawing helps, but I don't think its necessary. Theres tons of workshops out there and lots of online video tutorials. Getting client for your freelance business will be the hard part. Good luck!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-12-2008, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
Why do you have to know how to draw? I draw stick people and I make a nice living at this. What are you drawing?
benny,

i think wtowle gave a good advice. it's not what you draw when you retouch but what you apply to retouching from learning in these art classes. i find having a background in fine arts does help me when come to retouching. hey, who says stick people isn't art

Last edited by toan thai; 04-12-2008 at 10:27 PM. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-12-2008, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toan thai View Post
benny,

i think wtowle gave a good advice. it's not what you draw when you retouch but what you apply to retouching from learning in these art classes. i find having a background in fine arts does help me when come to retouching. hey, who says stick people isn't art
Think for a second. Are you just justifying time wasted for the BFA? How does it help you? Do you render?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-12-2008, 11:46 PM

who said you must have a degree in BFA to retouch? having some basic knowledge of drawing and painting wouldn't hurt. you said you're making a nice living but how can we verify that. where can one look at some of your work?

should we save the money and time by having our kids stay home? there are plenty of self made millionaires that didn't finish high school. they seem to make a nice living.

from my experience, having some knowledge in art helps me retouch better. isn't so wrong to let someone know the benefits from these art classes? it's great that you doing fine with retouching without knowing how to draw or paint but it's absurd that you think it wasn't a good advice
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-13-2008, 08:09 AM

sigh..........the amount of bad advice and misinformation on this board is hard to ignore at times. I'm outta here. Go listen to Mr. art guy and the NAPP.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2008, 12:23 PM

I appreciate any advice from people in the industry, and understand that different takes on the matter is not a bad thing. Many thanks.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs