RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

working

Old 05-11-2008, 01:26 PM

Re: working

Jagerman,

Sounds like you have been at it a while and a little burned out, we all feel the heat at times. I started in 1989, before digital shooting high-end ad work and fashion. I have felt the burn several times but it's the love of the moment that brings us back. That frozen fragment of time that will forever exist. Our memories of where we have been, who we have met, and hopefully how we have influenced people in a positive way and given back as much as we have been given. Luckily I have always found a path for myself and busted my tail to make it work to the point that I can pretty much pick and choose my clients now and can also devote as much time doing charity work as I can. The money is nice but the maturity has shown me that the helping for me is a great reward. Don't let it get you down brother. Get out of the grind for a while. Go shoot something crazy, something you would never even dream of. Once when I got down I bought myself one of the cool, new, hip Holgas, you know the funky colored ones not the plain old black ones like the old Dianas. Ended up shooting a series of edgy stuff for one of the stiffest clients in the world. She knew she loved the work but not why. If she had known they were shot on a $20.00 toy camera with a plastic lens that I had sanded the outer edges down with steel wool??? She would have hated it. Fickle as art directors, haha. Peace to you. You will find your way, no worries.

c
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-11-2008, 04:05 PM

I think the people who want to learn Dave Hill style are not sending off these images to "Art Directors". They just want to learn the style.
Besides, many people here are "hobbyists" or have the job they like and probably are not planning to work at Vogue or Glamour. They just enjoy taking photos and working on them.

Last edited by smak; 05-11-2008 at 04:10 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-11-2008, 04:31 PM

Is it just me or am I just not saying what I mean?

I am sorry that this is my 4th post on this topic but every one of the posts before this one and including this one were intended to defend those people who keep requesting the "Dave Hill Experience". Every one was in rebuttal to those few people who always seem to take offense to people who ask for the "same old thing" or may come across as wanting something for nothing or any of the other multitude of what they consider infractions of some secret set of rules that maybe I have not been made privy to. From day one I have enjoyed this site because of the huge range of life and work experience from the very little to those that have been blessed with extreme talent and good fortune. A while back I made a comment to one of those that had a problem with this question because they seemed to think that someone was asking for free help and therefore he might be losing business. I spoke to the person requesting the help and found that that was not the intention at all but even if it was that is why we all are here and we all have free will. I myself choose to help as much as possible time allowing and have done so knowing that my reward would not be the pay but the fact as in one situation that I would restore a photo of a child who had passed away at a very young age. The mother was beside herself and I did what I could. After I had finished she offered compensation but I passed knowing that it would come back in spades just like work always does. Many times we pass on jobs that we are too busy for or for whatever reason don't want to work on to someone else, most times someone trying to get a foot in the door, work hard and become a part of the rest of the talented and experienced artists we see here every day. I don't think there are too many of us that without that first break may not have made it so in my mind karma dictates paying it forward. Then I was scolded in private message by coincidence the same guy who always gripes about me offering a huge amount of advice to a young shooter who was having a fit lighting a watch for a client. I chose to help, I don't think he took advantage, I am pretty worldly about being conned but even if I was, who cares. I learned something; shared some advice and I would do it for anyone who asked to the point that I found it true that I was being taken advantage of. An instructor of mine once told me " there will always be too many people trying to be artists/photographers/writers. No matter what the cream rises and there is always work for those who work hard." His name was Bob Lerner one of the first shooters for Look magazine and a wise man. He was right. There is work for everyone who works hard, with high ethics and a little grace every now and then helps a bit too. I have said enough, way too much I am sure but I want it clear that I am in favor of helping anyone who needs it and that was my intent from the start.
Namaste'

c
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2008, 10:02 AM

Boy, you love to type.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2008, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
Boy, you love to type.
And very accurately as well...
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2008, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetlight View Post
Is it just me or am I just not saying what I mean?
No matter what the cream rises and there is always work for those who work hard." His name was Bob Lerner one of the first shooters for Look magazine and a wise man. He was right. There is work for everyone who works hard, with high ethics and a little grace every now and then helps a bit too. I have said enough, way too much I am sure but I want it clear that I am in favor of helping anyone who needs it and that was my intent from the start.
Namaste'

c
any relation to Richard Lerner?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs