RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

working

Old 05-03-2008, 05:34 AM

working

Look people/companies are looking for original talent not knockoffs if they want someone elses work they will hire them
Zganie
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-04-2008, 08:18 AM

Re: working

Huh? Where did that come from?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-04-2008, 01:52 PM

left field?

Mars?

Montreal?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-10-2008, 05:34 AM

Where did it come from? Maybe the 500plus posts i saw on dave hill style
or people constantly asking how to duplicate another retouchers work
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-10-2008, 10:24 AM

Oh yeah, hey, I'm with you on that one. Nearly 74,000 hits, too. Popular look.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-10-2008, 12:26 PM

Easy now.....

I too agree that the plethora of "Dave Hill" how-to requests have been astronomical but let's remember. There is NOTHING new under the sun and it is gonna be one of those eager to learn people, a kid probably that finds just the right click of a button or twist on the theme that pushes it above and beyond it's birthplace. Let's never chastise those who are eager to learn no matter how worn out it is or how tired we are of seeing the question. I know they could easily do a forum search and find more information than they could ever fit into the human brain but just the fact that they want to learn, in this easy as pie, digital, shoot and chimp world is a sign that there is some hope for the art at least and enough of that and maybe I can one day NEVER IN MY LIFE hear again that phrase, "It's digital now and anyone can be a photographer." I'd like to smack 'em up side the head because that my friends is the true ignorance in this matter. Now hand one of those digital, auto-focus, auto exposure, face recognition sensing, shoot a hundred images till one looks like it may be okay because you say what looks like an in focus, nicely lit and composed image by looking at it on a 1-inch by 1.5-inch LCD screen. Hand one of those chimps a camera and make 'em shoot a shuttle launch or a race car at 200-mph, having to pan, manual focus and actually make an exposure because you can look at the light and know what to shoot at, hand them one of those and you will see the cream rise to the top and the dregs at the bottom of the barrel.
Sorry, had to get that one off my chest.

Nice talking to yall,

c
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-10-2008, 01:06 PM

It is nothing to get upset about. The Hill and Fiscus looks are the trend right now. Some people just like to follow the crowd instead leading it. But it is ok. Take it easy man.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-10-2008, 11:42 PM

Jagerman,
I am not sure if it was me you were telling to take it easy but if so I am sorry if it came across as well..... cross. I truly was saying the same as you. Everyone needs to find their own way. I find much more hope in the fact that at least they want to learn something badly enough to ask than to just "spray and pray" firing bursts of images hoping to get at least one that is halfway suitable. By learning a new method I feel they at least have a starting point to possibly improve upon or come up with the "next best greatest technique". As a part-time instructor it's hard enough just to get most of them to show some interest in the field of study that they themselves have chosen so I don't care if they ask me a hundred times how Warhol shot his soup can so successfully, I'll more than gladly try my dambdest to explain it a hundred times. In our digital world it is so hard to become spoiled and lazy because of the ease of the process in comparison to film. And once they find that lazy streak they then very often fail to find their creative soul if in fact they have one, mostly because they are under the misconception that it's as easy as point and shoot and the art of seeing light, composing elements within the frame and making an image that not only speaks out loud your ideas but encourages others to interpret the images with their own life experiences adding subtle nuances to the work before them. I did not mean to come off as arrogant or belligerent, I was just trying to say let's never cease to encourage those who in this brave new world have the courage to look deeper inside themselves to hopefully find an inner drive, passion and ability to move us with images.
Namaste'

c
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-11-2008, 05:19 AM

Hey I am not upset neither am I against learning or giving/getting information
just lets not get stuck in a rutt here people
And as far as whats popular Best places to look are 1) magazines 2) any store or billboards 3)any other kind of advetising and I am sure I missed some.
thats whats going on not what someone else says
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-11-2008, 09:30 AM

No worries my friend!!!

I recently have been in a rut myself. I started out doing portraits ten years ago and moved into fashion a few years ago. It is always the same stuff time after time for me. I have never worked in an studio where I have not been top dog. I have never really had anyone to learn from. I am always the teacher. I see so many cool images on a daily basis and I am still doing the same old thing.

-W
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs