RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

work methods

Old 06-04-2008, 07:54 AM

work methods

I think it would be interesting to get input on the working method of the proffensional/more experienced retouchers.Such as software used,hardware,and generalwork method.
zganie
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-05-2008, 02:25 AM

Re: work methods

zganie,

Lynda's Portrait Retouching Essential tutorial DVD is one of the best to understand the technique and workflow for portrait retouching.

Ash
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-08-2008, 05:47 AM

Wow! No takers. Who would have thought
You know since this is the basics to get off on the right foot it would have been nice for some to share there Expertise/Knowledge
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-08-2008, 11:57 AM

zganie,

Your on sentence question would take a 20 chapter book to answer. Maybe you should go buy one instead expecting someone to write one here on the spot for you.

Good luck, -W
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-08-2008, 01:31 PM

I actually took her inquiry as more of a how does everyone set up there workspace on the monitor and/or the surrounding area. Maybe I am wrong but I'll give you my haphazard mess of a work area and see how that does ya. (Remember, I am an old man, silver halide was my friend until we divorced and I married the digital chip).

#1) My first few years of PS were completely self taught while at the same time I taught myself Macromedia Director and Quark. Talk about 3 learning curves, that could be the root of my Post Traumatic Stress.

#2) My toolbox is forever and always on the left of screen with just enough sticking out so I can touch the tools when needed.

#3) One of the biggest favors I ever did for myself in high school, at that time for an easy grade but now at 60wpm I pride myself in the fact that I learned to type, that was the class right after the other class where I learned to make baked Alaska.

#4) The biggest disservice I ever did to myself was to no learn one, NOT A SINGLE KEYSTROKE shortcut. Over the years I have made friends with them because they take tremendous stress off my wrists but I swear if you put me beside the fastest ketstroker in the world I'll out work 'em with my mouse just about every time. I finally printed a list out and hung it on my workstation but usually forget to look at it, so I probably know about 10 by heart.

#5) I have two monitors. One for my work in progress and one for my tools and my original image. Although that took time to get used to it sure is nice having that extra room.

#6) I was lucky enough to be one of the pre-digital shooters and I truly believe that those of us who learned to work in the dark room have a greater understanding of the tools used in PS. I am forever frustrated when a student says to me, "Why is that tool that makes everything darker shaped like the I'm okay sign I use when I am scuba diving." If I had my way, all curriculums would teach all film and chemistry the first year before allowing the students to "chimp" through the images on the little screen on the back of the camera, being ever so confident that that screen can actually do much more than help us old timers with sweat in our eyes and tremendous eye strain to make sure our images are somewhat in focus.

I hope this helps, please if you have never read my postings before know that I am extremely sarcastic because I think I am the funniest guy in the world much to the disagreement of the wife.

Namaste -

c
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-09-2008, 05:02 AM

Jagerman
1) do not expect anything because I do not actually do retouching,just thought it was a good question so I posted it.

2)I said BASIC information not detailed instruction,I have seen basic outlines on the first pages of many book,it was an idea to maybe point people who are interested in the right direction NOT give them a course

3) give as much or as little info as you want
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-09-2008, 05:04 AM

By The way Jagerman You have some great pieces on your site
Zganie
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-09-2008, 05:52 AM

I use the entire adobe series, also use a lot of free programs on the web. Sometimes the free programs out do the paid programs. A list of the software i use the most.

For simple vectors i use, http://www.inkscape.org/
If you dont have photoshop, i like http://www.gimp.org/

Also I love http://picasa.google.com/ for photo management and simple printing

need some stock images fast i use http://www.sxc.hu / and its pay per image sister site http://www.stockxpert.com/

I also use my website, i show clients the backdrops from my site then they choose what they want. If you want to see that the link is below.

http://neatimage.com/ a great noise remover, I have the paid commercial version but there is a free version for home use

expressions 3. I also use. Its no longer produced, a new version of Microsoft editing software is on there site but i don't use Microsoft stuff anymore.

I love the site http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/ sometimes i find some programs there. also http://www.download.com/ has some nice programs too.

I have a 2 monitor set up, a microsoft optical mouse. I swear i have not found a better mouse. maybe im jsut used to the way it works but i love the thing.

I also own some canon digital cameras.

Hope this helps. As you can see alot of my programs come free. Shhhh dont tell. if my clients find out they will want me to charge less. lol
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-09-2008, 11:32 AM

zganie,

It is a good question but deserves a long answer.

Thanks for the compliment!

-W
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-09-2008, 12:55 PM

One thing that every working professional uses is the INFO palette. If the end result is a printed page, you need to be aware of what CMYK colors those numbers up there make. Otherwise, you're just trusting your display to make pretty pictures.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs