RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Things that say "I'm not really a professional"

Old 06-17-2008, 04:51 AM

Re: Things that say "I'm not really a professional

OK,you guys are right .But instead of saying what not to do how about positive feedback on what to do.I asked in another post for an outline I dont do retouching but thought it was a good question because I see people asking bits and pices of this all the time
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2008, 08:44 AM

Coming to RetouchPro and exerting oneself through writing what constitutes a pro.

A pro doesn't care about what others do and why. He knows that the only one he should be comparing himself to is himself and his latest job.
If you measure your "pro-ness" by amateurs you're only one step up the ladder...
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2008, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flice View Post
Coming to RetouchPro and exerting oneself through writing what constitutes a pro.

A pro doesn't care about what others do and why. He knows that the only one he should be comparing himself to is himself and his latest job.
If you measure your "pro-ness" by amateurs you're only one step up the ladder...
Respectfully, I disagree. I think this is an excellent ideal for a thread. So much so I even have it bookmarked. If not for this site I would have a very inflated opinion of my skills. The best way to climb a latter is one step at a time.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2008, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernon View Post
Lacking a better business bureau affiliation (for those that are state-side, anyway) logo.
No associations noted/listed (i.e.: Photographers of America, Inc., et al)
I would take issue with these two items. On the last one, I never meet a customer that had any idea of what "PPA" (Professional Photographers of America) was or had they ever heard of it. In 25 years of owning and running my studio I think I may have been asked 2 or 3 times if I was a member of any type of professional organization.

As far as the BBB, they are nothing more than another for profit business with a very good advertising campaign. They where very expensive to join and very heavy handed in their dealings with other business's. My (and other business's in my area) experiences with them would fill a book. Its much better to run your business in a way that precludes any one from having to think about relying on the BBB.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2008, 09:45 AM

Spelling and grammar errors! I know it seems like a small thing, but spelling an grammar errors just seem to jump off the page.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2008, 09:22 PM

If you've been copying 99% website content and images from a professional website that really is the stupid thing to do... unfortunately someone did that with our site... up until now they deleted the images but then the content is still the same
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-24-2008, 02:09 PM

I set my site up with livebooks, I think it looks good but that's just my opinion. If any pros out there wouldn't mind taking a second to look it over and giving advise Id be very appreciative. I also don't advertise that I re-touch but want to let people know I do it, should I make another site or just add a portfolio?

Thanks!
www.AlexLihs.com
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-24-2008, 02:45 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Nelson View Post
Paradoxically, I tend to rate flash sites as more professional (but not less irritating)
While I agree that Flash has great potential, it's very rarely used effectively! It offers designers the means of creating byzantine navigation and show-off effects that merely frustrate the visitor via long load times and an overall difficult browsing experience.

I wonder how many photographers actually design their own Flash sites?

This is a non-photographer site, but The Beatles website is an example of maddening brilliance. Most of the time there you will be trying to figure out what you're supposed to do. And the cool stuff is teeny-tiny; you can't enlarge it--unless you somehow download and view it from your hard drive.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-24-2008, 02:52 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

Alexandra, your site is a minor example of what I was referring to--specifically, the area where the thumbnails pop out is a bit hit-or-miss (hide and seek). Unless you hit it just right, it keeps disappearing, making navigation of your images frustrating.

This has nothing to do with your photo work, BTW!

I wanted to learn more about liveBooks (I assume you're using their template), but the "liveBooks.edu" link does nothing (except take you back to your own main page).
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-24-2008, 03:06 PM

I do agree about the thumbnail problem. When you have a "pro" site they give way more options and its easier to navigate around the page. If you go to Livebooks.com you'll be able to find more info about it all.

So far their templates and design is the most professional I have seen, its pretty much idiot proof.
I'd like to hear what other people are using.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs