RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Not getting any work, should I lower rate?

Old 06-16-2008, 03:19 AM

Not getting any work, should I lower rate?

Hey ya'll.

I've made a profile on modelmayhem.com and have been on the website for about 3 weeks now. I decided to charge $20/hr, but I haven't gotten any response/work.

I think my portfolio is pretty solid.
http://www.modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=727438

Since I am not getting any work, should I lower my asking price? $15/hr?

Or maybe come up with a price based on the level of work per image?
Like $10 dollars for basic retouch.
$20 dollars for advanced or something?

I feel more comfortable with an hourly rate though, especially since working on fine details of skin or what-not can take many hours.

Sorry for asking a question about rates, I think this is asked a lot. I just wanted some opinions. I thought $20/hr was reasonable.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2008, 04:56 AM

Re: Not getting any work, should I lower rate?

More samples on your portfolio may help. I would try to find some image that have major problems, like tons of zits. then have before and afters on your page
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2008, 07:49 AM

dVool,

Your $20 rate in a market like California seems very low. I'm in the Swamps of Florida and I get $40 per hour. I don't know, but if I were a prospective customer, I'd wonder why your prices were so cheap.

My second thought is.. did you just put up a web page and expect the world to come running to your door? What other marketing and promotion are you doing?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2008, 08:14 AM

Devin,
- Your rate is fine, maybe too low.
- Your website will not attract customers without further advertising. I'm sure you are advertising. But, you must advertise alot. You will only get 1 out of every 100 potential clients.
- Your website "about me" does not tell us about "you"... only your rates. Add something about your experience, clients, depth of styles your work with, etc.
- Don't tell us how long things take. Just tell us what you can do. We know how long it takes and we know you're going to charge for your time. That's Ok.
- Take out the phrase "I am here to find work". Not professional, and sounds desparate. This may be why you're there, but a customer wants to hear about why you can meet their requirements.
- And yes, add more before & afters. Label them. Sometimes, we cannot tell what is before or after.... especially when they are of different sizes.

Hopefully you'll find this helpful. Good luck ! It's very competitive out there, so hang in there !
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2008, 09:18 AM

hi,
first i not a professional but maybe my thoughts will be helpful also in some respects my answer will be similar...

1. on the webpage itself.... I noticed there no meta keywords!! when people go searching on the internet for a retoucher..... those keywords are important... other wise other retouchers are going to be listed before yours!! remember on the internet there a lot of retouch outfits your competing with when a search is done...!!

this is a example of meta keywords that are hidden in a webpage ....
meta name="keywords" content="Photo Retouching, Retouching Photos, Photo Retouching Services, Image Retouching, Retouch Photos, Photo Retouch Service, Photos Retouching, Photo Retouching, Retouching Photos, Photo Retouching Services, Image Retouching, Retouch Photos, Photo Retouch Service, Photos Retouching"

2. you might want to take a look at some other retouching sites to give you ideas for your webpage and how they handle pricing..... i was not impressed with that phrase "i am here looking for work..." i would have left that out!!

3. and like mathewmarshell mentioned....... you showing off your work.... you want to make a impression.... hence select pictures that will give oooooh's and ahhhh's!!! remember your average consumer generally don't know how much a picture can be improved..... at least that my opinion... , and showing that, they'll remember you!! and based the quality of your work on the amount of improvement..!

4 and Like swampy mentioned... is webpage your only advertising? you got to let people know your around.... i would suggest...
a. use flyers in those shopping centers, you have bunch of them in orange county.. smiling....
b. give out cards and flyers at your local photography shops, photo developing stores, pc shops, etc

5. as far as pricing... I don't know..... others can give you a better idea...
orange county is rich county....!! I wouldn't thhink your prices are high!

those are my thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvool View Post
Hey ya'll.

I've made a profile on modelmayhem.com and have been on the website for about 3 weeks now. I decided to charge $20/hr, but I haven't gotten any response/work.

I think my portfolio is pretty solid.
http://www.modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=727438

Since I am not getting any work, should I lower my asking price? $15/hr?

Or maybe come up with a price based on the level of work per image?
Like $10 dollars for basic retouch.
$20 dollars for advanced or something?

I feel more comfortable with an hourly rate though, especially since working on fine details of skin or what-not can take many hours.

Sorry for asking a question about rates, I think this is asked a lot. I just wanted some opinions. I thought $20/hr was reasonable.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2008, 10:24 AM

I think you should practice your technique a little more and build a larger portfolio of quality work before trying for paid work.
The better you get the more chance you have of getting good quality clients.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2008, 11:21 AM

Good comments. You can't advertise too much.

I wouldn't worry about the metatags though. Current search engines don't really use them. Put your keywords in the text of your page.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2008, 12:36 PM

Where those prices coming from 20-15-10? Is your time worth any of it, or much more
then it? Also being the cheapest most likely bring you nowhere.... Practice, maybe find somebody do it for free, something worthwhile from stock library, build your web portfolio with strong images, while doing it buy some book or ask people in the trade on business practices, promote yourself. Draw attention with your work not the price. Some who will be interested will ask for the price(have your phone number on web)...You 'll find your niche!
Best regards,
Edgar
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2008, 02:32 PM

Hey everyone.

First of all, thanks for all the responses and advice.

I've seen people online charging anywhere from 100/hr to 10/hr. For most jr. positions, people normally pay around 20/hr and I have no previous retouching paid work experience, so I went with 20/hr.

Right now I have a part-time, non-art-related job and I get paid less than 10/hr. It's just a "job" while I work on my portfolio and find a real career.

I've always had a passion for art, especially drawing portraits of people. I've been learning 3D Computer Animation for the past couple of years and I've recently found that I really enjoy photo retouching and that I am good at it. So right now I am just building my portfolio in 3D & retouching, putting myself out there while working at my part-time job.

20/hr for something I enjoy doing sounded like a good start since I have no working experience in the art field yet. Someone suggested that I charge by what I can do with the photo per photo, I think I will probably go that route as I can see that a potential customer would like to know a more solid price per photo.

Modelmayhem is a business networking website. It is kind of like myspace, but for making business contacts. I put the line "I am here to find work" because when you create your profile, it suggests some things to mention and one of the things was "Why are you here?" lol - I can see how that line is both unneccessary and possibly a hinderance now. I'm going to remove it.

I have my actual website up
http://devindeleon.freehostia.com/
and it is a link on my modelmayhem profile, but I haven't put keywords or meta-tags or submitted it for search engines yet because I wanted to add a poster I did for a movie poster contest. The rules say I can't put it up on any websites until the judging for the contest is over. It's going to end any week now and then I plan on getting my website up and running. I also am waiting to see if I can get permission to use before & after from the on-set photography they provided.

Here is the movie poster in case anyone was curious.
http://edcommunity.apple.com/settosc...php?itemID=295

I seem to have posted my whole life's story... lol but people seem to be unsure as to where I was at.

Thanks again for all the advice. I really appreciate it. This forum is very helpful. I've really learned a lot.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2008, 02:43 PM

DVool... I suggest you get out from behind your computer and meet people face to face. Do you have business cards? Put your part time hours to use. The only thing you have to sell that the rest of the world's retouchers don't is your SELF. Go meet the people who can give you free lance work (anybody who deals with photography) they are your customers, not other retouchers in some nether world of an online network. Join the Chamber of Commerce and put your cards out here. Go to their mixers and luncheons and meet real people. I've gotten work just by walking into my bank where the folks there know what I do and tell me to "call this friend of mine, she was looking for someone to...."
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs