RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Not so good retouching job tests

Old 07-31-2008, 03:35 PM

Thumbs up Re: Not so good retouching job tests

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAlexajlex View Post
Even though I'm not a Pro retoucher I feel this is the best approach.
I do carry my PS actions on my flash drive which is on my key chain all the time.

You never know when you may need them.
great tip, thanks!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-02-2008, 01:21 AM

Re: Not so good retouching job tests

I see no reason to be using a mouse for high end retouching, or low end for that matter. Wacom tablets are the industry standard and I see them in all the studios. If you are struggling with it, get some hands on with one and practice before you test. I can work at a very rapid space with my tablets and could not do adequate retouching with a mouse or a PC. Macs are in the majority of the studios, some PCs, but Photoshop runs about the same on both platforms.

I am also curious what kind of tests are you getting specifically? I can fill you in on some of my tests.

One time the art director had me do some precise paths using the mouse and she saw I was struggling. She hid the Wacom and then pulled it out and I then did ok. Then I did some color matching, organized a layered file, answered some technical questions about the Mac and workflow. I did an extraction of a model and had to put it in another background and try to make convincing cast shadows, a few other things and she told me to call her the next week. She had other artists come in and test. I called the next week and she said I had the job if I wanted which I did and stayed on for 2 years. I learned a lot of on the job skills and got to work on some high end retouching for $$$$ ads in trade journals and a lot of other stuff.

What are they testing you guys on these days? Thanks Steve
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2008, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB2005 View Post
I see no reason to be using a mouse for high end retouching, or low end for that matter. Wacom tablets are the industry standard and I see them in all the studios.
I find this to be one of the great fallacies forced upon retouchers in general. Something happened a few years ago when a new tool became a religion. I work with a mouse a lot, and I think the quality of masks in general suffer from the use of a pen in the cutting process. This is the sort of "easy" thinking that says "I'm an expert, and I know more than you, and if you use a mouse, you are not cool.", because it helps avoid the larger issue, which is, of course, if the retoucher can actually retouch, regardless of tool in hand. Not many can recognize this, because most suck at retouching.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2008, 09:16 PM

I know what you're saying Benny. Especially when using (ironically) the pen tool with
a mouse. Although for me personally, i'm left-handed. Yet i've never used a mouse
with my left-hand so i feel more precise with a pen tablet with just about every
action i do in photoshop.

Perhaps if i forced myself to re-learn a mouse with my left-hand my experience would
be different. But i do on occasion use both at the same time, and will take over
with the mouse/pen when making a path for certain areas etc as i can have both
in my "strongest" hands simultaneously. Make your weakness your strength, right?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2008, 09:58 PM

"because most suck at retouching."

amen.

I know several excellent artists who use a mouse only.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2008, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
I find this to be one of the great fallacies forced upon retouchers in general. Something happened a few years ago when a new tool became a religion. I work with a mouse a lot, and I think the quality of masks in general suffer from the use of a pen in the cutting process. This is the sort of "easy" thinking that says "I'm an expert, and I know more than you, and if you use a mouse, you are not cool.", because it helps avoid the larger issue, which is, of course, if the retoucher can actually retouch, regardless of tool in hand. Not many can recognize this, because most suck at retouching.
Benny if a mouse works for you, then go for it. One great retoucher Glenn Honiball says he still uses a mouse. I think what some retouchers were reporting is that when they went out for testing and had no experience with a tablet, the test was presented with the tablet part of the computer. And what works for one doesn't always work for another. There are exceptions of course. For me, a tablet has helped my workflow dramatically. Also my Wacom has a pen and a wireless mouse which comes in handy when I want to drag and click with the clone tool or healing brush. For you, isn't your tool of choice and that's fine too. Use whatever gets the job done the best. I had several clients that never used a tablet and I recommended they try one out which they did and can't get by without it. But I am not downplaying anyone who doesn't have the desire to try one out. But I tell people don't be afraid to experiment a bit. The mouse ain't going anywhere.

I took many art classes and have a life drawing painting background and a mouse just didn't give me the freedom to select, airbrush, or use the pen tool in the most productive way. After seeing artist Bert Monroy creating his work on the Wacom Cintiq, now I want one of those, but they are expensive, about $1200 or so. JMHO

Last edited by SteveB2005; 08-04-2008 at 01:33 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2008, 04:13 PM

Er . leaving Glenn Honiball aside, and pretty far aside, Some people do use mice, is mice .. mouses for cutting out and retouching generally. Just goes to show it is not the tool that maketh the artist. Seem to remember, probably wrongly that I used to draw better paths when I used a mouse, not so good any more, thats why I now avoid pathing wherever I can.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2008, 04:44 PM

And no matter what, paths can be a real drag, especially having to do a perfect silo on a hi-rez Harley-Davidson stuck in a forest background to be placed on a total white background spoke for spoke. One test I had to do for a journeyman pre-press artist.
No fun there tablet or mouse.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs