RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Not so good retouching job tests

Old 07-04-2008, 06:11 PM

Not so good retouching job tests

Hi all,

Had a test for a retouching position the other day that didn't go as well as I would have liked.

It got me thinking about the challenges of going for a test when your using a different mouse/stylus, different operating system, and perhaps even a different version of software.

All of a sudden you find yourself going blank on things that usually come automatically, and of course being aware of time ticking by only adds to your anxiety and slows you down.

Has anyone else shared a similar experience when testing for a position?
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2008, 01:26 PM

Unhappy Re: Not so good retouching job tests

Hi

I feel for you.
I just went through the same process with bad test results.
The agency that had me do a test thankfully let me use a mouse
and not the Wacom tablet that was installed.
I have a Wacom tablet but find it hard to use.

I still failed the test as they wanted to see mostly how I organize & identify layers and layer groups so that the file can be passed on to anyone else in a creative group. I have been working alone so my ignorance to this really opened my eyes.

I'm curious what you are used to specifically and what equipment they made you use for the test? I can tell you, I just said I don't use a tablet, and they seemed fine with that. They mentioned that they have some employees that do the same. So one word of advise is maybe to ask if you can use a mouse.

Are you used to Mac and they made you use a PC? Or visa versa?
I'm in San Francisco and it seems like the whole creative industry is using macs.

Tim

Last edited by timwbrown; 07-10-2008 at 01:45 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2008, 09:21 PM

Re: Not so good retouching job tests

same thing happened to me last year, the pre-press shop i interviewed for neglected to tell me they'd be giving me a test so i didn't bring my mouse in, so i ended up using the crappy wacom mouse and it's a piece of crap..i was not in my element and didn't feel that i did as good as i could've..i didn't get the job but it turned out to be a blessing as they have been in financial difficulty since last fall...
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2008, 10:29 PM

I should ADD that I am forcing myself to now use the tablet, even though I still don't like it, I need to know that I feel comfortable with it. The tablet does not track with relative movements but with exact placement on the tablet. It's not crap, it just feels really weird. The tablet frame is the Display frame, pixel by pixel. There are advantages to a tablet when doing more artistic edits. I just have the smallest 4x6 intuous3 wacom tablet. Another good tool is a keyboard with photoshop shortcuts layed out. Here is one http://www.worldtechdevices.com/apple-photoshop.shtml
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2008, 11:13 PM

Personally, I prefer the way the mouse tracks with the position on the wacom tablet. I find it easier to control.

The good news however, is that you don't have to have it work that way. If you prefer the more standard mouse feel, all you have to do is change the mouse setting. Go to the Control panel, and select the pen tablet. When the tablet dialog opens, select the mouse tab. On the mouse options tab, locate the tracking control box. change the tracking mode to mouse mode. You will still be restricted to using the mouse on the tablet pad, but the mouse will work more like a conventional mouse. You can also click the details button, and set the tracking speed.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2008, 01:46 AM

I HATE using PS without a tablet. Feels like a different program.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-17-2008, 01:07 AM

yeah no disrespect guys but I have to agree with cptn hook. I understand it takes some time to get used to but do you remember what it was like learnng to use a mouse?
Both give you that sense of cognitive dissidence but painting/retouching in Photoshop with a mouse is akin to being a draftsman using crayons. Sure you can build the eifel tower with a stack of toothpicks (anythings possible) but you'd be better suited to using girders and I beams.
I do relate to the pressure of photoshop tests but do yourself a favor, get a intuis 3 and learn to use it. You'll do yourself a favor in the long run.
P.S. I hope that doesn't come off as dogmatic. I just know the benefits of adjusting to it and As A result I'm a big advocate.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-17-2008, 03:50 AM

Thumbs up Re: Not so good retouching job tests

Hi - i have just been through some interviews myself and found the best way to be prepared was to go tablet in hand and actions & brushes on a pen drive so if at any time you know you could get a call your ready to plug in and play without freaking out when it comes to test's.

I think the other thing we all need to do is have an online presence and keep it simple and neat - no matter how good or bad our work is at the time ! your as good as your last job they say .

Portfolio wise id look towards a 16 x 20 for retouch and keep it simple and neat so it can be viewed for what it is , good retouching . (print off your work and check it visually)

Thought this might help .
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-17-2008, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggnikon View Post
Hi - i have just been through some interviews myself and found the best way to be prepared was to go tablet in hand and actions & brushes on a pen drive so if at any time you know you could get a call your ready to plug in and play without freaking out when it comes to test's.

I think the other thing we all need to do is have an online presence and keep it simple and neat - no matter how good or bad our work is at the time ! your as good as your last job they say .

Portfolio wise id look towards a 16 x 20 for retouch and keep it simple and neat so it can be viewed for what it is , good retouching . (print off your work and check it visually)

Thought this might help .
Even though I'm not a Pro retoucher I feel this is the best approach.
I do carry my PS actions on my flash drive which is on my key chain all the time.

You never know when you may need them.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-22-2008, 05:05 AM

I think you have to be very versatile,since you never know what there going to expect from you.
Unfortunately its not just about retouching,its about being comfortable with different software and hardware
zganie
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs