RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Portfolio idea

Old 04-29-2002, 07:22 PM

Very interesting ideas. Thanks for starting the thread Jak! I'm not usually one to look through antique shops, but I am fascinated by old photos. Guess I'll be looking for the antique shops in my area in the near future.

Ed mentioned flea markets. I think that estate auctions would be a good place too. (Never been to one of those myself, but I've heard about them from friends and it seems they'd be a good source of old photos.)

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2002, 08:26 PM

Funny, but I've had quite the opposite experiences. I'm always scouting little antique shops for old photos, but have found the prices to be outrageous. One such store nearby has had the same box of photos for a year, but wasn't interested in my offer to buy the whole batch for a decent price.....I can't figure that logic out.
Obviously, I'm looking in the wrong places.

The reason I look for these examples is that I don't want to display local citizens in any advertising I might do.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2002, 08:29 PM
Janitor

Sounds like we need some way to swap original old photos

Let's see...
gotit gotit gotit needit gotit gotit needit gotit gotit...
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2002, 08:56 PM

Quote:
I've had the same reaction here as Doug has had.
What a shame! I just pulled my bag of old photos out of the desk and I still have 11 that I haven't worked on from my last excursion. The most expensive one was $2.00. One time I went looking, I found an actual PHOTO ALBUM - it had something like 28 photos in it and was only $10.00! There are 2 antique shops here that I go to and they have bins and bins of old photos...

I live in a pretty rural area so maybe it's a City vs. Country thing?

Jak
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2002, 12:57 PM

Persistence is the key...

I called 4 antique shops this morning and they all thought I was nuts - like they deal in REAL antiques not that sentimental garbage like photos. I kept calling and the 5th store said come on over - they are located about 3 blocks from me so I scooted over and got about 50 pictures in various stages of decay for $50!

I really appreciate this suggestion. I was getting discouraged with my portfolio album - I had run out of mangled photos and thought I might have to resort to deliberately mutilating some.

Thanks,
Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2002, 02:07 PM

Quote:
they all thought I was nuts - like they deal in REAL antiques not that sentimental garbage like photos.
I am so glad it worked out for you!

I also have much better luck when I frequent the little, seemingly disorganized, mom & pop shops rather than the larger, more "snooty" antique malls and such.

Fortunately, where I live now, the ONLY antique shops are the little tiny "homey" ones. I suppose those little ones can't afford to waste any kind of a possible income maker. And, there are a lot of people in this rural area who actually collect antique photos as a hobby - plus many historical societies that collect period photos from the area.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2002, 09:02 PM

Margaret, I'm so glad to hear that your determination paid off -- I'll have to give it a try also.

I'm also glad that you were saved from the horror of having "to resort to deliberately mutilating some" Of course, we DID have that one manipulation challenge where we were asked to "deliberately mutilate" one of DJ's family photos -- have you done that one yet?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2002, 10:07 PM

I got some interesting challenges among the photos I bought today. I've spent most of the day with one of them and I feel like they may be part of my family LOL

I haven't done the RetouchPro challenge where we are asked to "mutilate" a picture - I'll have to look for that one, it sounds like fun,

Back to work,
Margaret
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs