RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Portfolio idea

Old 04-29-2002, 10:35 AM

One thing I thought I'd mention about possible portfolio samples for those of you who might not have thought of it.

When I use something I have done for a client (or now, one of the RP Challenges) in my portfolio, I don't have an actual original for clients to view - just a reproduction of what it looked like before.

I always think it gives a better representation of my work if prospective clients can see an ACTUAL original.

One thing I do frequently is go to antique shops and browse their collections of old photographs. They often have ones really in need of restoration (or that have really interesting manipulation possibilities) and because they are damaged, they are usually CHEAP! I take them home, restore them and then put the actual original into my portfolio along with my restored one.

Jak
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2002, 10:47 AM

Hey Jak, great idea. I never thought of that. You are correct when you say the copied original isn't really a true representation of your work.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2002, 11:49 AM
Janitor

That is an excellent idea, but I'll tell you that I haven't had such good luck browsing antique stores. They usually say "if I'd known you wanted them I had hundreds a week ago, but I just threw them away since they were damaged and no one would want them".
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2002, 11:59 AM

Quote:
They usually say "if I'd known you wanted them I had hundreds a week ago
Funny how different things are in different areas... I always come back from my excursions with 20-30 photos in all levels of damage. I also often look for images where something needs to be added, pictures of single men & single women that can be combined into a couple, groups to combine or remove people from, prints that would look wonderful colorized - all kinds of things...

Jak
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2002, 12:32 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Excellent idea! Flea markets might also be a good place to shop for something like that.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2002, 02:51 PM

Jak, Good idea! You are lucky to be in an area where the Antique stores dont throw the old photos away. How do prospective clients seem to like having an original to look at and compare? Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2002, 03:58 PM

Jak -- your suggestions make a lot of sense. I'll have to see whether the antique shops in my area have a low-cost supply or are like Doug's.

Doug -- have any of the shops promised to save the next batch for you?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2002, 04:23 PM
Janitor

Cj:

One of the first I visited did, so I called back and called back and called back and finally gave up. Antiques are not a predicable business

Be glad nothing happened from that...it made me ask "why isn't there a website where anyone can download practice photos?"
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2002, 04:23 PM

Quote:
How do prospective clients seem to like having an original to look at and compare?
I used to have the impression that some clients were a bit hesitant to believe how much could actually be done toward restoring a photo. Like maybe they thought the apparent damage to an original was a trick...

I'm not sure how accurate those impressions really are, but I know I personally feel better, and somehow more "honest" when I can show people a few actual damaged originals in with my other samples.

I also have some sample restorations on display in local frame shops. The frame shops refer inquiries to me and I know they are happier showing an actual original and a restoration because they have told me so...

Jak

Last edited by Jakaleena; 04-29-2002 at 04:29 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2002, 05:40 PM

I've had the same reaction here as Doug has had. The antique shops seem to fail to see the worth of old photos. One shop owner told me he regularly threw them out so I gave him my business card and asked him to call me when he had some more but I never heard a word from him. So I called back and he said he forgot because photos weren't important. I was willing to pay for the photos and I can't understand why they can't see that they are losing sales by throwing them away. Doesn't seen good business sense to me.
I've been able to buy a few photos on Ebay and use them in my work.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs