RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Types of retouchers

Old 07-17-2008, 03:39 PM

Types of retouchers

Does anyone work for a retouching house? If so, how much do you make? I know it varies, I just would like YOUR feedback. I know in my region freelancers and houses range from 150-250/hr, but I'd like to know what the people within the houses make. Also, if you're a freelance, what do YOU typically charge an hour? Also if you are an in-house retoucher for a photographer, what do you make?
Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-18-2008, 07:10 AM

Re: Types of retouchers

This is a really loaded question.
1)rates are all over the scale depending where you live your skill level and even to some degree if you work inhouse how good that is.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-18-2008, 09:35 AM

Money is not very important in life. You should be happy in what you do every day, and if you have people around you who love you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-18-2008, 01:52 PM

Just because I don't want to be taken advantage of doesn't make me obsessed with money. I want to be educated in industry standards. I'm looking to others to give me examples and help, not criticism on life.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-18-2008, 02:00 PM

the rate will vary even within the same location depending on your skill level and your tenure at the company...
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-18-2008, 03:08 PM

I make around $135,000 a year retouching in NY. What should you make? Beats me. Can't see anything on your website. You are fresh out of school with no experience. Brooks is a school for photography and doesn't give you a degree in retouching. You are in CA where retouching, from my experience is greatly discounted compared to NY. CA is full of wannabee everyones. Take 36k a year, work hard, pay attention, learn beyond what you'll learn at work and definitely beyond anything you might learn on the internet. It's a hard time to make a living as a retoucher starting out these days because there is no low end or mid end anymore. Everyone thinks they can do it, most suck, no matter how much they purport to know. Any half assed photographer can do what you do - and does. As stated, rates vary greatly from state to state, shop to shop, client to client, country to country. The best will get paid top dollar. Pay your dues. You'll get stuck in some prepress or factory retouching shop and learn a little, but get out or you'll never learn anything more or even how to do stuff right with real time, budgets and real clients.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-18-2008, 03:09 PM

there is no 'taking advantage of you' now or anytime, but especially now.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-18-2008, 03:58 PM

I am still in school doing an independent study in retouching as well as interning for a house. I am just trying to get others experiences to learn from. Thanks for the advice.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-21-2008, 03:56 AM

HI Hamburger ,Hugh has got it in the bag for sure .I work in London for 2 portrait studio's which is good but its not going to take me to the next level.I have spent 2 years cleaning up dirty looking shots -bad exposure ,ripped backdrop's,more wrinkles than i care to remember .Pay wise for retoucher's in the UK range from £12,000 for a private studio(paths and mask's 100 a day on average) Portrait retoucher's £16-25,000.Advertising retoucher's £35-50 .Top agency retoucher's make around £65,000 a year after 10yrs in the business here in the UK . Hope this ball park helps for full time rates .
Freelance rates on average for inhouse £90-150 a day .

Advertising per hour £100-150 per hour

The list goes on and on .Long term youll be sweet if you do the hard graft and master your skill's in the business.It cant just happen over night like so many expect it to - it's a 45-60 hour week and alot of learning.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-21-2008, 05:15 AM

>>>>>>>> Money is not very important in life.

Bob Dylan is a multi-millionaire; Jim Morrison had a couple of million too, but was happy when he was broke as well.

Last edited by smak; 07-21-2008 at 05:22 AM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs