RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Example of Some Retouching/Artists Ads I've Notice

Old 08-04-2008, 12:37 PM

Example of Some Retouching/Artists Ads I've Notice

I am going to paraphrase some of the ads I have seen in newspapers, bulletin boards, craigslist, etc. This is not a real ad, only example of a few points taken from several real employment ads.

NEEDED IMMEDIATELY ARTISTS

Production Artists/Retouchers with 4-8 years degree from art school or equivilant needed in busy studio. Must know and be expert in Photoshop CS3, Illustrator, MS Word type 60 wpm, InDesign, Flash, Adobe Acrobat, LightRoom, Scitex Blaze, drawing skills a plus. Must be able to work on Mac/PC and be able to troubleshoot hardware/software issues and tweak network when necessary. Will be doing high end retouching on adult DVD packaging. Provide customer service when manager at lunch and answer phones when receptionist is out with bosses. Must be able to retouch models with no blurring tools whatsoever and maintain skin tones and film grain. Artist must be team player and be able to work 12-15 hours daily on busy turnarounds, some overtime two weekends per month. Must be able to work swing shift as we run the studio 24/7. Will start either 6PM or 12 midnight. Must have late model car to deliver customers jobs and have janitorial skills to clean up the bathroom on down times. Must pickup lunch orders, make coffee, and be able to train interns when available. Must, must, must. Salary $8.50-12.00 per hour depending on experience. Raises after one year evaluated. No phone calls, apply online: mrxxxxtzstudi.comzx (not a real studio of course)

This is an exaggerated ad, but many things written have in fact been included in real studio ads I have checked out. Some have more skills expected. Also, seen, will have to outsource work to China or India if we cannot find qualified employees.

But I have heard that some retouching salaries in China/India come out to about $8-10 per hour, not sure if that is accurate or not, but it does have one thinking. Some of the ads I have seen and the expectations required are almost comical

Feel free to let us in on some of the crazy ads you've seen
steve

Last edited by SteveB2005; 08-04-2008 at 01:12 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2008, 01:41 PM

Re: Example of Some Retouching/Artists Ads I've No

i see them all the time on craigslist, i saw one recently that claimed a high-end photo studio yet they were still using photoshop 7, on a PC no less...
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2008, 01:52 PM

Hi Pixel, pathetic and comical at the same time. I answered an ad on craigslist last year for a product retouching gig. The art director had me download some hi-rez product shots for me to retouch and send back my work. He also told me he would pay me $45 for my "test." I really didn't have the experience in product work at that level. I did the best I could, and although he liked what I did, he said he needed someone with the experience for products. He mailed me a check as agreed. He told me he would pay a rate of $40 and up per item which seemed quite fair I think and I certainly would have taken on the work just for the experience. It seems art directors won't take the time to train or work with a newbie with potential and I understand in LA, everyone wants all work like done yesterday. Oh well
BTW pixel, are you based in LA too?

steve
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2008, 03:19 PM

Thanks for the LAUGH.
I have seen or be on the wrong end of alot of these.
Its so true, go figure.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2008, 03:30 PM

Glad you enjoyed it sonny. These ads are out there in some form. hehe
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2008, 04:05 PM

I've seen ads like this quite often on Craigslist in LA. Sometimes, these companies are based in the Westside.

Anyway, $8-$10 an hour for retouchers in China is most likely not true. A lot of people over there earn about $20 a week.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2008, 04:15 PM

i had a manager from a very large printer tell me about the 250 employees in India they use for make clipping paths and cutting masks, i'm sure they make very little considering what they pay diamond cutters in that part of the world...
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-08-2008, 07:52 AM

Like all companies its about making money.Usually they look short term .
A lot of other countries offer cheap labor and with FTP they can compete
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs