RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

New Freelancer looking for advice

Old 08-10-2008, 02:25 AM

Unhappy New Freelancer looking for advice

Hi everyone! I just joined here! I'm looking for advice on a few things..

First of all, I've been working as a retoucher for about 5 years now. Out of college (2003) I started working for a photographer who used me as his retoucher/phone op/studio manager/etc. He paid me $10/hr which was never enough considering all that was asked of me. I spent the past 5 years searching for a worthwhile retouching job while taking on various freelance projects. I haven't had any luck finding a job with decent pay. I'm currently working freelance and have had steady work from a photographer who pays me $2/picture (usually ends up being $10-$20/hr). This sucks to say the least lol! I live in LA and can't afford anything out here. I don't know what to do. Sometimes I just think it's LA. All the job ads I read are so depressing (pay wise). Is it just me, or is it LA? Can anyone offer any tips on how to get a job/clients that pay enough to live off of? I love retouching and I love being freelance, I want to make it work pretty bad but I just can't survive on such low pay.

My other question is, how can I build up a portfolio (website) to show to potential clients when all of the photographers I'm working for are asking me not to use their work on my site? I know they have rights to the photos so just using them anyway would be looking for trouble. But here I am with 5 years of work behind me and nothing to show for it. Any there any places out there that offer pictures that are free to use for anything? I really have no clue what to do about this.

Any advice would be very much appreciated!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-10-2008, 04:39 AM

Re: New Freelancer looking for advice

Usually retouching on tfp basis delivers you portfolio material. Seek contacts, and retouch some for free in exchange for web usage rights.

$2 per picture without any rights seems like you need to have a talk with your photographer.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-10-2008, 09:52 AM

My advice is to wait a couple of years until the market comes back. The industry is not like it was a few years ago. It is feast or famine for photographers right now. But if you are gonna try it, do what iconogenic said.

Good luck, -W
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-10-2008, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconogenic View Post
Usually retouching on tfp basis delivers you portfolio material. Seek contacts, and retouch some for free in exchange for web usage rights.

$2 per picture without any rights seems like you need to have a talk with your photographer.
What is tfp? Would you suggest just approaching photographers, asking for stuff to retouch in exchange for rights? In the past I've posted ads offering to do this and have gotten no responses.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-10-2008, 04:14 PM

tfp=trade for prints
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-10-2008, 04:18 PM

ah ok! thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-10-2008, 05:09 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by NocturnlCreativ View Post
Hi everyone! I just joined here! I'm looking for advice on a few things..
<CLIP>
My other question is, how can I build up a portfolio (website) to show to potential clients when all of the photographers I'm working for are asking me not to use their work on my site? I know they have rights to the photos so just using them anyway would be looking for trouble. But here I am with 5 years of work behind me and nothing to show for it. Any there any places out there that offer pictures that are free to use for anything? I really have no clue what to do about this.

Any advice would be very much appreciated!
Welcome to RetouchPRO Poke around, ask questions, have fun! Hope you enjoy your visits here!

A few sources for pictures:

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/pho...s-retouch.html

http://www.lipstickfetish.org/forum/...pic.php?t=9579

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/pho...back-raws.html

royalty free stock photos:
http://www.sxc.hu/index.phtml
http://www.istockphoto.com/index.php

BTW, The search button above is a very useful tool!

Enjoy,
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-10-2008, 05:45 PM

Thank you so much for those links! Those will deffinately be useful! Are there often photographers here offering photos free to use? I'm sorry I haven't had much of a chance to look around here yet. I will deffinately do some searching when I have a chance
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-18-2009, 09:48 PM

2 usd per photo is the most disgusting thing I have read since my 1 year of freelancer experience. The lowest I have been paid was $3 usd per photo. I have a client from LA who pays me $5 usd per photo, and it's an steady job, like you say. I have to do just blemish removal and give a bit of airbrushing effect. I think the price is right for what I have to do. I have another client (which is not so steady) who pais $12 usd per photo, but the work I have to do demands more time. I read you live in LA. 2 usd per photo is not fair. You should find better clients, for sure. Specially in LA, there is a big movement there in this matter
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-22-2010, 04:14 AM

Okay, im totally confused, I worked as a freelancer for about 3 years and for my first 6months i was just retouching anything I could for samples..After that i contacted photographers and asked them if they would mind working with me. I would do a few for free and then if they liked what they saw we could work something out. All the photographers i worked for had no problem with me using the photos as part of my portfolio. Above all, i never did a photo for less then 35 dollars. My per image rate was always 50. my per hour rate is also 50 usd. People were telling me i was considered a cheap retoucher, (in terms of price not quality) So why the heck am i hearing 2usd per image. Is it just because i worked in NY? btw way the photographers i worked for would give me about 10-20 images per time and i would have a 3 day turnaround. After that i worked for a studio, freelance for 35hr at at a 40hr work week. I have been in china for the past year, has things gotten that bad? Is retouching no longer needed? Im glad i saw this, i was considering moving to LA after i do my whole italy thing, but I cannot go from 50 images to 2...its just insulting...
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs