RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Outsourcing Retouching Services To India?

Old 01-16-2010, 10:24 AM

Re: Outsourcing Retouching Services To India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by endlesssummer View Post
does anybody know overseas retouching companies? i´d like to check the quality
Loved reading everybody's opinions on the outsourcing woes regarding retouching from India. I am in India and was working for a company in a different dept - and I too was very skeptical too about their abilities. But a couple of years later, I switched to the retouching marketing team when I saw how they'd matured and how talented they'd become with the advanced photoshop tools. Most retouchers in India are from a middle class background and are almost totally self-taught or have only on-the-job training. But I worked with those who now have 7-10 years of experience in only the retouching industry with customers worldwide - mainly USA and Europe and Australia.

I now realize that it's experience that will win. The west has the education, as well as the experience, whereas most Indian retouching houses have only a couple of years..senior retouchers are a rare breed here.

We've started a start-up this year (2010) of our own. You are very welcome to test the quality with your raw files - no fee/ charge.

Romila
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-16-2010, 10:30 AM

I never got a reply from the indian guy about how much indian people enjoys all that big list he published around here about why he was so proud of that... I thought he would reply something!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2010, 08:05 PM

@Quantum3
Haha...I sure had thought of a long reply but got a little busy.By that time the thread had died down i didn't want to bring it up again...Since you have asked for it i will post my reply soon.

Last edited by designcafe; 01-22-2010 at 08:12 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2010, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by designcafe View Post
@Quantum3
Haha...I sure had thought of a long reply but got a little busy.By that time the thread had died down i didn't want to bring it up again...Since you have asked for it i will post my reply soon.
Thanks man!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2010, 07:55 PM

Quote:
The positive things you are proud of belongs to the high wealth people, and that people always is a minority and they don't build a country.
No.All things I have mentioned above are affordable to an average Indian including Space,Healthcare,Education.
Quote:
I know there are lot of IT people in India, but that doesn't mean they can afford what they build(mostly because it's exported to first world countries due the outsourcing).
They outsource but then do domestic projects as well esp government.And they are focusing more .Currently the Unique Identification Number is on the cards.Its the biggest ever in the world.(it’s a really massive project).The big IT firms are focusing more on domestic and asian markets especially after the global economic recession. Also Indian IT firms(MNCs) provides jobs for those in the US and other western countries as well.I know TCS,Infosys, and other major IT firms does.

Quote:
But about the space, just few indians can afford such thing or the like. I mean, that's not solving any real and urgent problem in India, and its only useful to show it off, the same like in cold war with weapons and such. I mean, it's not substancial going to the moon whit thousand of million of starving people on the earth.
About space its not just about pride.Indian space program was build with serving the common man.We don’t have to depend on other countries to launch our satellites for communication, research and lot other purposes.We have satellites that help fishermen to know where the fish are.GPS,Weather forecast-I think it will help the farmers=more food=more people are fed=less poverty,EDUSAT satellite was launched to help teach children who are at inaccessible places through video conferencing and also to impart education to larger section of the people http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EDUSAT_%28satellite%29 .These are just some of it.There are lot more things where space program has helped in the development. Space programme has made technology accessible to the common man.About moon mission I think it will play a very important role if we survive the global warming.You can google and find out why moon and mars missions are important.Its more than just pride.And this will make you really sad or angry idk-Indian outsources in the field of space too.lol.India launches satellites for other countries and most countries come here because we do it at a cheaper price-. ->>>Latest achievements- we helped find water on the moon-chandrayan mission.<<<<
Dr Vikram Sarabhai,
There are some who question the relevance of space activities in a developing nation. To us, there is no ambiguity of purpose. We do not have the fantasy of competing with the economically advanced nations in the exploration of the moon or the planets or manned space-flight. But we are convinced that if we are to play a meaningful role nationally, and in the community of nations, we must be second to none in the application of advanced technologies to the real problems of man and society.[8]
Dr.APJ Kalam:
“ Many individuals with myopic vision questioned the relevance of space activities in a newly independent nation, which was finding it difficult to feed its population. Their vision was clear if Indians were to play meaningful role in the community of nations, they must be second to none in the application of advanced technologies to their real-life problems. They had no intention of using it as a mean to display our might.[10]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_...h_Organisation

(I had a much more exquisite explanation about the Indian space program but I lost the file.But if you want it I can type it out again.I don’t have the time now though.The Ultimate thing it Indian space program is not just about some fancy missions.And no countries space program is just for pride.Space is one thing you can bet a good return on investment on the long run.Those who don’t have one will be at a disadvantage)
Quote:
About health, how many indians can get the same treatment than the rich people from first world countries get in India? That reminds me to Cuba, where only the tourists and VIP's can afford that quality of service.
Even the poorest people can get the basic health care. My Dad is a doctor and he serves in a rural area where most people are poor.Ofcourse they cannot afford the cosmetic surgeries that VIP’s and western tourists enjoy.The government sponsors for more costlier surgeries.No these are not just for the rich tourists are VIPs of the west.Many people form Pakistan and other countries from not so wealthy background also come here for treatment.Why do VIPs and tourists go to cuba?-they cannot afford it in their own country-If the VIPs cannot afford it what about others there-I am asking coz I don’t know.Your statement seems to suggest even the VIPs cannot afford medical treatment.
http://www.siliconindia.com/shownews...nid-20078.html
Its 20 times cheaper in India compared to western world.Most who come here for medical treatment are from Pakistan,Bangladesh , Malaysia and Gulf and you don’t have to be rich or VIP to get good medical care in India.Government hospitals also do such surgeries for a much lower cost.I have also seen many cases where they are provided free treatment if they cannot afford it.
Quote:
I have seen many videos about India in YouTube and doesn't seem the big part of the population is able to eat in some restaurant.
–We prefer home cooked food.Seriously do you believe everything you see on youtube??.Yea poverty is a big problem.Its a result of a lot of things accumulated over the past few centuries.But India post-Britain democracy is a young country(its eight months younger than my dad).Its not a problem that can be solved overnight.But Indian civilization is the oldest in the world.We have survived for thousands of years. Survived wars,famines,and lot more.This is just a little bump and I am sure we will come out all right.But I think anyone who has the Will need not stay poor in India.
If you are born poor you are not to blame.But if you die poor you are the one the blame.(I don’t remember who said that but I believe in that).
Quote:
About religion, I meant the attacks that indians suffers from other religions, such fanatics (I think they're muslim fanatics). As far as I know, those attacks happens with some kind of regularity (in my country, we don't have terrorist attacks by religion or by ideology, just one and about 20 years ago but we had "civil wars" in 2 opportunities, both started by communists).
With Pakistan nearby such terrorist attacks are bound to happen.US is miles away and yet it was not able to prevent 9/11.There were attacks in US prior to that as well.Its a good thing that there were not any after that.We had a 26/11 and we have been mostly terror free after that.I am happy Indian government woke up finally.I don’t know about your country but religious fanatics are/were every where-.I heard something about Karl Klux Klan or KKK something in US.IRA or something in Ireland and England(sorry I am not sure about the names).Yea maybe you don’t have them now but they were in the recent past. Personally I think terrorism does not have any religion.
Quote:
About education, how many people is able to go to the best school? It's easy saying "we have the best X" but if that ¡s not affordable for the big stream of people then that statment is meaningless.
The best brains get to go to the best schools and colleges. Economic background does not really play a role. Most of the students in the best colleges are from a moderate background.Scholarships are provided and if you got the brains you don’t really have to worry about the costs of education.Free education is provided at government run schools and some of the best brains of the country had come from such schools.Yes there is room for improvement in quality of education.

The mystic aura of India and the enigma that she is has captured the imagination and fancy of great minds. Take a look at what they have to say about India.
"Where the mind is without fear
and the head is held high;
Where knowledge is free;
Where the world has not been
broken up into fragments by
narrow domestic walls;
Where words come out from
the depth of truth;
Where tireless striving stretches
its arms towards perfection;
Where the clear stream of reason
has not lost its way into the dreary
desert sand of dead habit;
Where the mind is lead forward by thee
into ever-widening thought and action-
Into that heaven of freedom, my Father,
let my country awake."

"GEETANJALI" -Rabindranath Tagore

We owe a lot to the Indians, who taught us how to count, without which no worthwhile scientific discovery could have been made.
-Albert Einstein

If I were asked under what sky the human mind has most fully developed some of its choicest gifts, has most deeply pondered on the greatest problems of life, and has found solutions, I should point to India.
- Max Mueller (German scholar)

Mark Twain said: India is, the cradle of the human race, the birthplace of human speech, the mother of history, the grandmother of legend, and the great grand mother of tradition. Our most valuable and most instructive materials in the history of man are treasured up in India only.

French scholar Romain Rolland said: If there is one place on the face of earth where all the dreams of living men have found a home from the very earliest days when man began the dream of existence, it is India.

When I read the Bhagavad-Gita and reflect about how God created this universe everything else seems so superfluous.
- Albert Einstein

India - The land of Vedas, the remarkable works contain not only religious ideas for a perfect life, but also facts which science has proved true. Electricity, radium, electronics, airship, all were known to the seers who founded the Vedas.
- Wheeler Wilcox (American poet)
"If there is one place on the face of earth where all the dreams of living men have found a home from the very earliest days when man began the dream of existence, it is India!"
French scholar Romaine Rolland

"So far as I am able to judge, nothing has been left undone, either by man or nature, to make India the most extraordinary country that the sun visits on his rounds. Nothing seems to have been forgotten, nothing overlooked."
Mark Twain

"She (India) has left indelible imprints on one fourth of the human race in the course of a long succession of centuries. She has the right to reclaim ... her place amongst the great nations summarizing and symbolizing the spirit of humanity. From Persia to the Chinese sea, from the icy regions of Siberia to Islands of Java and Borneo, India has propagated her beliefs, her tales, and her civilization!"
Sylvia Levi
"India conquered and dominated China culturally for 20 centuries without ever having to send a single soldier across her border!"
Hu Shih, former Ambassador of China to USA

"Civilizations have arisen in other parts of the world. In ancient and modern times, wonderful ideas have been carried forward from one race to another...But mark you, my friends, it has been always with the blast of war trumpets and the march of embattled cohorts. Each idea had to be soaked in a deluge of blood..... Each word of power had to be followed by the groans of millions, by the wails of orphans, by the tears of widows. This, many other nations have taught; but India for thousands of years peacefully existed. Here activity prevailed when even Greece did not exist... Even earlier, when history has no record, and tradition dares not peer into the gloom of that intense past, even from until now, ideas after ideas have marched out from her, but every word has been spoken with a blessing behind it and peace before it. We, of all nations of the world, have never been a conquering race, and that blessing is on our head, and therefore we live....!"
Swami Vivekananda, Great Indian Philosopher

"If I were asked under what sky the human mind has most fully developed some of its choicest gifts, has most deeply pondered on the greatest problems of life, and has found solutions, I should point to India"
Max Mueller

"India was the mother of our race and Sanskrit the mother of Europe's languages. She was the mother of our philosophy, mother through the Arabs, of much of our mathematics, mother through Buddha, of the ideals embodied in Christianity, mother through village communities of self-government and democracy. Mother India is in many ways the mother of us all."
Will Durant

"In India, I found a race of mortals living upon the Earth, but not adhering to it, inhabiting cities, but not being fixed to them, possessing everything, but possessed by nothing"
Apollonius Tyanaeus quotes (Neo-Pythagorean)

India is the oldest civilization in the world and has contributed a lot to the rest of the world than it has taken from it.We were civilized even when most of the world were just nomads with the exception of Chinese maybe.Yoga very popular today,mathematics which forms the basis of science was contributed by India.Its know fact European languages has its origins here.English originated from Germanic language which from some other language but the origin is from India.Even now if you google you can find out the root of many English words is Sanskrit and Dravidian language.Yes English went a lot of changes ,evolved and was given to us in a new package by the British.Even in the present india and Indians have contributed a lot to rest of the world.So for the one who said Indians are to be grateful for jobs the west are giving to us.I see no reason in this as I am providing my work and they are providing money in exchange.If he is grateful for my work I am grateful for his money too in that sense.Otherwise no there is no reason I need to be grateful.
Whatever happened, it happened well.
Whatever is happening, it is happening well.
Whatever will happen, it will also happen well.
What of yours did you lose?
Why or for what are you crying?
What did you bring with you, for you to lose it?
What did you create, for it to be wasted or destroyed?
Whatever you took, it was taken from here.
Whatever you gave, it was given from here.
Whatever is yours today, will belong to someone else tomorrow.
On another day, it will belong to yet another.
This change is the law of the universe.
-Bhavatgita
Quote:
I'm still wondering why are you so proud of India. I thought you will say something related to the indian philosophy or religion, something less occidental-like.
I am a agnostic with a little tilt towards atheism and a Hindu.I am happy Indian gave a religion which gives me such freedom.And no one says I’ll go to hell because I don’t agree with their views on god. Uh I am not a very religious person and don’t have the required knowledge about philosophy to speak about it.
If you are still wondering why I am proud of my country ….hmmm…what to say…
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2010, 08:52 PM

Such a big reply.

"Ofcourse they cannot afford the cosmetic surgeries that VIP’s and western tourists enjoy". I thought indians doesn't need cosmetic surgery because it's not something spiritual.

It's not believing in you tube, it's recorded by cameras. Not to mention what I see in Google Earth are lot of little houses made with junk all bunched, like a big compressed junkyard. It looks like a river from the satellite view, but a closer look shows those little "houses".

42% of the indian population is poor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poverty_in_India), that says a lot, also says that India is in the third place of the poorest countries in the world. There is another stats which says just the 27% of the indian population, which is also quite much.

You can be proud of your country as far as it satisfy your needs. If I would live in India, I would be proud because the philosophy you can find there, but If I would like to achieve what maya offers, I wouldn't be so proud. In my country, people is proud because Maradona, football and many other maya-like stuff, but I certainly don't find any kind of satisfaction in those false concepts because people here is not eucated, nor we don't have a great philosophy, nor we never had a semi-god such Bramha. I know some stuff from India, since I go quite often to a Vaishnava temple near my home since 6 or 7 months ago, and red a lot through google about India in science, philosophy and religion and I must say I'm very amazed by all the discoverments done in India thousand of years before Christ, basis of most of the stuff found in the occidental world and that I suggest you to explore, because it's really amazing (I become a vegetarian since I went to the temple due the superb logical reasons that talks about it); however, each person will be proud if it finds satisfaction in something related to its country. There are lot of argentineans feeling proud because of Maradona, football, tango (which actually isn't from here) and many more stuff which doesn't include health, education or jobs, things very important to me that I would be proud if those things would exist in my country.

As final words, each person chose what to be proud of.

Mart
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2010, 10:20 PM

designcafe, thanks for that extensive missive to Quantum3's musing.
Very thoughtful and highly detailed.

I've been very interested lately in Ancient Egypt and now I'm piqued by India.
Maybe some day I'll have the time to do some digging into India's ancient past.
Here in the Continental U.S., there isn't much in the way of ancient.

Most people here in the U.S., a great majority, were farmers a hundred or so years ago.
Modern day manufacturing has made today's U.S. population relatively wealthy
compared to those farmers of 1850 to 1900. As a boy I remember community water pumps and out houses in the country and party line phones where all the neighbors shared a single phone line, and I'm not that old. At least I don't think I'm am.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2010, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aartist View Post
designcafe, thanks for that extensive missive to Quantum3's musing.
Very thoughtful and highly detailed.

I've been very interested lately in Ancient Egypt and now I'm piqued by India.
Maybe some day I'll have the time to do some digging into India's ancient past.
Here in the Continental U.S., there isn't much in the way of ancient.

Most people here in the U.S., a great majority, were farmers a hundred or so years ago.
Modern day manufacturing has made today's U.S. population relatively wealthy
compared to those farmers of 1850 to 1900. As a boy I remember community water pumps and out houses in the country and party line phones where all the neighbors shared a single phone line, and I'm not that old. At least I don't think I'm am.
There are many studies that reveals that almost all borned in India, when all was Pangea. For example, Latin borns from sancrist, as the most close example to us. The semi-god Bramha was the first yogi of our universe, and he gave to the first yogis on earth, a big book about the basics of our Universe, where is detailed the amount of planets in our solar system, which is quite awesome, and mostly because that is written in the vedic scripts, which date is don't know how many thousand of years before Christ. HEre is one of the most curious things, because Bramha is a semi-god who created our universe, while other religions says that he's God instead a semi-god. Then God, for hindus, is Krshna for many hindus and Vishnú for many others, which doesn't matter at the end. The point is that occidental religions believes that Bramha is God. Bramha is composed by the impersonal Bramhan (where buddist, chatolics, jews and muslims point their prays) a substance which is the energy of Krshna, but isn't Krshna, there is the difference. The good stuff about the hindu religion is that also is a science and a philosophy all together, working in perfect harmony. It's the most ancient thinking. You will find lot of paralelism with several philosophers and religions from occident between the Vedas and the occident. For example, was revelealed to the semi-god Bramha, the sound Aum, which is the beginning of our universe and this sound has the 7 notes of the musical octave (this is written in the Vedic Scripts), parallely, you will find that Pitagoras, 500 years before Christ, found the same note structure that is found in the Vedic Scripts, but this was reveled in the beginning of the universe! Lot of very interesting stuff!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2010, 02:40 AM

I don't know how about outsourcing retouching but some time ago I've made an experiment. I've ousourced some of my webdesign work to India.. and lets just say.. I'm happy I've used an escrow.. and it ended with a mediation procedure and a 100% money-back refund for me. Since that time, I'm saying a big, fat "NO" to all Indian "experst".

Cheers,

Vlad
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2010, 06:21 AM

Vlad, you need to seek a bit more, there are many, many indians able to do the same stuff you have in your port.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs