RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Outsourcing Retouching Services To India?

Old 02-03-2010, 05:42 AM

Re: Outsourcing Retouching Services To India?

Alright, can you give me 5 examples (ports) of those many, many Indians (working from India, not Europe or the US)?

Cheers,

Vlad
Old 02-03-2010, 06:00 AM

Look into some craiglist, you will find at least 5 ports, yeap. Or you may think in other countries. For example, you will find excellent retouchers in Argentina such as Natalia Taffarel.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:16 AM

So, you can not give 5 ports of those many, many professional Indian studios? Argentina and India are 2 wholy different issues.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:23 AM

sent you a PM.
Old 02-06-2010, 03:20 PM

Thanks, I haven't received it yet?
Old 02-16-2010, 09:37 AM

The PM was intended for me - and I think, we've came to an agreement
Old 02-16-2010, 10:35 AM

Yeah, we're going to get married next month.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:08 AM

Yes, that's true LOL
Old 02-16-2010, 11:13 AM

I'm glad the PM wasn't for me then. Dodge another bullet!
Old 02-16-2010, 11:26 AM

HAha... So... are you male or female?
Old 02-16-2010, 12:04 PM

I'm male...and married...but shes my first wife!
Old 02-16-2010, 12:28 PM

That's good. I don't know in your country, but in mine it's not so common people getting married or living an stable relationship. I've the girlfriend I got the first time, and we have 3 years together. We love us a lot!
Old 02-16-2010, 12:44 PM

Women have the eggs and naturally want a stable relationship to raise the children.
Men have the sperm & want more sex, so women have to convince them otherwise.

That often leads to conflict between the sexes because of their motivation.
You sound like your married but don't realize it. Good Luck!
Old 04-02-2010, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesicaMitchell View Post
The problem is NOT that big business people do not have morals... the 'problem' is that the average consumer wants everything faster and cheaper!! In actuality, this makes 'big business' the intelligent and savvy folks.. they've figured out how to supply that demand.

Innovation of the market is why they are making the money while arrogant artists are still trying to sell their services for $50/hour to the 'main stream' market (unsuccessfully). Believe me, I was there not too long ago.!

If an artists skills cannot reach that sliver of high-end photography... pack your bags and sign up for $0.50/image in Mumbai.. oh, and grab a copy 'The World is Flat' by Thomas Friedman on your way to the airport..
Agree with Jessica...
Old 04-02-2010, 03:56 AM

Smile Re: Outsourcing Retouching Services To India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetouchMasters View Post
I don't know how about outsourcing retouching but some time ago I've made an experiment. I've ousourced some of my webdesign work to India.. and lets just say.. I'm happy I've used an escrow.. and it ended with a mediation procedure and a 100% money-back refund for me. Since that time, I'm saying a big, fat "NO" to all Indian "experst".

Cheers,

Vlad
You picked the sour grape from the bunch of sweet ones...
Old 04-02-2010, 04:10 AM

Friends, Great to read all your views and opinions. Even if we are in US UK or India, we are on the same EARTH. Already there are so many factors to discriminate us so atleast not make out-sourcing one of them. Lets do our best work and make masterpieces to make the world proud of!
Old 04-02-2010, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suryapuranik View Post
Friends, Great to read all your views and opinions. Even if we are in US UK or India, we are on the same EARTH.
Not sure, but you sound like you are on the receiving end of outsourcing from the sound of your rhetoric. Lost jobs and reduced wages are on the other end. Hope you don't expect those people to be rejoicing about the same EARTH.

The same EARTH is where countless wars have been waged since the dawn of man and the birth of civilization.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suryapuranik View Post
Friends, Great to read all your views and opinions. Even if we are in US UK or India, we are on the same EARTH. Already there are so many factors to discriminate us so atleast not make out-sourcing one of them. Lets do our best work and make masterpieces to make the world proud of!
Speaking out against outsourcing has nothing to do with discrimination. I don't hold any ill will to the people of India who are doing the work. The companies here in the US sending the work overseas and handing out big bonuses to the people who are putting Americans out of work is another matter, as are the companies in India that are pricing their work at rates that are so low that we cannot compete when they could be making a larger profit by charging US rates and increase their profits and the pay of the people who are doing the work there.

As an American I see this as much more than just a bit of money saved by one company. There is a ripple effect as the money leaves our shores the company saves tax dollars and puts someone out of work, who is paying taxes. That cuts our governments tax revenue, as well as reduces the amount of consumer spending which drives our economy. It will eventually lead to higher taxes for everyone working here, and will push down pay rates while cost of living stays the same. At the same time it weakens our economy.

The United States needs to take a hint from India here and stop giving tax breaks for outsourcing our jobs and put some measure in place to keep them here similar when India stopped importing Chinese toys last year.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:33 AM

Hi Sir,

I have the sound experience to deal with every kind of image processing projects and deliver the excellent in your rates.

Thanks
Arvind
Plz contact me at
info@photostouching.com
Old 12-04-2011, 09:30 PM

lol funny thread. The moral of the story is stick to high-end if you are in low end business it is gonna happen.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:49 PM

I also recommend using a service in your own country, with the language issue being significant. As I say, "Never underestimate the difficulty of transferring a concept intact from one human mind to another." This would be especially true regarding aesthetic concepts.
And I also believe in supporting the homeboy whenever possible.
I'm puzzled, though, about all this discussion of shipping discs to get a digital image file from place to place.

Last edited by mistermonday; 12-05-2011 at 06:09 AM.
Old 12-31-2011, 02:50 PM

Wow....

As a retoucher in London UK since 1972. I have seen a lot of changes.

A few years ago, a young Indian girl walked into our London studio. She had parked her brand new SL500 in our car park. She told us how her company could help us cut our costs. Basically we should pass on our retouching we get from the top London agencies to her. She would get it done a lot cheaper, and we would make more profit, and could cut our staff.

We gave her an image.... When we looked at the job that her Hi end retoucher had done, we literally pissed ourselves laughing! We then sent out the same image to 50 retouchers around the world. Well they called themselves retouchers. We spent another afternoon going over the images that had been retouched. Oh we laughed again so much!!! There was only one person we would of used. Turned out she was just around the corner!

I would say for every 100 people that get in touch with me saying they are a high end creative retoucher, I am lucky if 1 of them is up to a decent standard. It is true! honestly.

A few months passed, and we met a photographer that knew the young Indian girls company who paid us a visit. And he had actually visited the company in India. He said it was sickening, nothing more than a sweatshop, where people worked in cramped crappy conditions for a few cents a day. Not driving around in nice new Mercedes!

Now, these Indian sweatshops and so called retouchers that charge a few dollars an image and turn out crap, have indeed pushed the hourly rate down. And it has hurt the high end retouchers.

I am pleased to say however, the large agencies are aware of this, and do not outsource to just anyone.... Yes they have in house retouchers, but funnily enough, when the big budget clients want good imaging done, they still turn to Creative High End retouching experts.

And yes, I know some of you bleat on about how much we charge... But, we do not work from our bedroom, we have the latest software and hardware, have in house drum scanners and certified proofing systems. And a whole host of other expensive outlays. All these need service contracts as well.

So, decent high end top dollar retouchers are a little like Hells Angels............ 1%ers.

You get what you pay for. And that is the same for the Indian sweatshops and a lot of the other so called retouchers.... Pay peanuts, get monkeys!

Some of you may feel I am being harsh, and wonder why I should say all this? And indeed some have questioned why I should charge the amount I charge for my retouching....

Well with 40 years in this game, countless awards, college qualifications in all sorts of print and photographic subjects, as well as traditional retouching and photocomposition skills and airbrush skills, I have earned the right. I HAVE PAID MY DUES! Have they? NO!

Sorry it turned into a bit of a rant... But as you can probably tell, retouching has been my life, and to see all the crap I see out there is rather upsetting.

Anyway, I now live in Canada, I work for UK, Canadian and US clients. And would never outsource to save money... My clients expect the best, and in return, they pay the best.

Last edited by ftp-Jeff; 12-31-2011 at 03:19 PM.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:00 PM

Adobe should Put better protection on there software and lets see what happens

Last edited by frankxsi; 12-31-2011 at 08:51 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:03 AM

Re: Outsource Product Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalli View Post
This forum delivers nice messages to the public.

Are you a sweatshop owner or worker?

Last edited by mistermonday; 01-23-2012 at 06:43 AM. Reason: Off topic link to MD Covered. Deleted by mistermonday
Old 01-23-2012, 06:10 AM

Looks to me like nalli has posted advertisement.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:11 AM

What a surprise.... First post too!
Old 01-23-2012, 02:50 PM

I always feel patriotic to the country I'm in, I knew some guys out of work in my home town, got them a wacom and trained them how to make paths for me. More expensive I'm sure than outsourcing but somehow I feel better for doing my bit for my town.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:02 PM

I run - or used to run (it's just sitting there doing nothing now as I don't have the time to manage it) a very successful photo restoration website. We'd get tens of applications a month from these so called restoration/retouch experts. Want to know how many I would have hired out of a few hundred that have applied over the years?

Maybe 1 or 2! And I'm not exaggerating.

Though they can call themselves whatever, the truth of the matter is that most so called experts are just getting started. Though I applaud their entrepreneurial spirit. I hold myself to much higher standards as that is what the clients expect.

If you are good at what you do I don't see why India, China, Philippines or another outsourced sweat photo-shop should bother you. You will still have plenty a work.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:41 PM

I'm a freelance retoucher & photographer and have more and more often these days had to turn to online freelance sites looking for new clients. What I see there is as you say, there's a huge amount of work going out to India, the Philippines and other areas where living costs are extremely low compared to the west. There's a price war going on and it will, without doubt, lower costs globally. Sometimes the work they output is good, there's a lot of rubbish out there too though and hopefully clients will begin to see that if you pay peanuts, you'll get monkeys, always.
In the meantime, the people who HAVE to take control are the freelancers themselves, Clients will almost always look to reduce costs, we have to educate them. Whatever happens, what freelancers in the west must not do, is try to compete on price. All this will do is accelerate the decline in prices globally, something which will never reverse. Clients will quickly come to expect that we will always reduce price in order to get the work and they'll push in that direction. Take pride in what you do, remember all the years of training, the cost of training and what your time is worth. Don't sell out. It'll be tough for a while but better that then tough forever.

Mike
Old 08-22-2012, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelzombie View Post
does anyone still make dye transfer prints?
Yes, Ctein here in Minneapolis does. He's been doing it forever. I just now visited his website, ctein.com and he is ending it.

His regular client base in recent years has been artists who want dye transfer prints of their images due to the longevity of the prints.

Back when Kodak discontinued making the materials needed for dye transfer printing, he mortgaged his house and bought all the necessary fiber paper, dyes, etc. he could and stored them. Kodak also gave him some, free.

Still, by 2010 when I last talked to him, he was down to 25 boxes of paper, 25 sheets in a box.

He said, “But the paper is easy to make so if I really wanted to, I could keep going.”

“Why would you want to stop,” I said, “when you can make such beautiful images. So what if each one takes two days.”

“Because I’ve been doing dye transfer for 35 years. I want to do something different with my time. It’s a good thing. The whole point of this [photography] is to have fun!”

At that time he said there were only about four people he knew of still doing dye transfer.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:33 AM

"In the Soviet Union, capitalism triumphed over communism. In this country, capitalism triumphed over democracy."
~Fran Lebowitz
Old 08-23-2012, 11:40 AM

"It is no longer an unwritten law of American capitalism that industry will attempt to maintain wages at a level that allows a single wage to support a family."
~Christopher Lasch
Old 08-23-2012, 11:59 AM

Both quotes hit a nerve.
Replace Soviet Union with China in first quote to be more accurate for the pain it has caused working people.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:54 PM

I'll add that as a photographer I tried outsourcing and the work was so bad and 'overdone' I simply couldn't use it. With what I do I need it to look like it was never retouched at all. The images they sent back as tests of mine (despite all of the direction I could muster) had plastic/porcelain looking skin, glow in the dark eyes and every single freckle removed on those with freckles (people must not have freckles over there)
Old 10-26-2012, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVHeadshots View Post
I'll add that as a photographer I tried outsourcing and the work was so bad and 'overdone' I simply couldn't use it. With what I do I need it to look like it was never retouched at all. The images they sent back as tests of mine (despite all of the direction I could muster) had plastic/porcelain looking skin, glow in the dark eyes and every single freckle removed on those with freckles (people must not have freckles over there)
So, what was plan B, now that you found out that third world retouching is junk?
Old 10-26-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
So, what was plan B, now that you found out that third world retouching is junk?
I went back to doing it myself.

I also posted on the classifieds board after finding this site.

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs