RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Outsourcing Retouching Services To India?

Old 08-29-2008, 05:33 PM

Re: Outsourcing Retouching Services To India?

"A lot of people own a guitar but not everyone is Jimi Hendrix!" - but every kid in a guitar shop thinks he is, as any trip to a guitar store or this forum will testify.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2008, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Mayday: Problem is not many big business people have morals when it comes to making money. They just want to make more money and quickly!
The problem is NOT that big business people do not have morals... the 'problem' is that the average consumer wants everything faster and cheaper!! In actuality, this makes 'big business' the intelligent and savvy folks.. they've figured out how to supply that demand.

Innovation of the market is why they are making the money while arrogant artists are still trying to sell their services for $50/hour to the 'main stream' market (unsuccessfully). Believe me, I was there not too long ago.!

If an artists skills cannot reach that sliver of high-end photography... pack your bags and sign up for $0.50/image in Mumbai.. oh, and grab a copy 'The World is Flat' by Thomas Friedman on your way to the airport..
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-06-2008, 03:21 PM

does anybody know overseas retouching companies? i´d like to check the quality
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-06-2008, 03:40 PM

Jesica, do you call this high-end (www.fotofix.com)?
Or are you from Mumbai $0.50/image?

Maybe so called arrogant artists deserve to be paid well because they spend years perfecting what they do? Maybe they are not just trying to make a quick buck without any craft or technique like some people?

Last edited by mayday; 09-06-2008 at 03:58 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-07-2008, 05:54 PM

The Jimi Hendrix analogy is good. Think of all the mediocre guitarists after him who snorted more in coke than you and I will make in a lifetime because they gave the people what they wanted. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and quite profitable at times, also.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-07-2008, 06:45 PM

Yeah I wanted to imitate someone who drowned in their own speed induced vomit many times when I was younger

Last edited by Markzebra; 09-13-2009 at 12:06 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2008, 12:10 AM

Mayday, you may have read me wrong and I apologize for what I failed to explain... To clarify: I believe that WE, as artist, SHOULD be paid for our craft!!! But, if consumers are not willing to pay that price (which we believe our art is worth)... then what? Some of the greatest 'artists' were never monitarily compensated for their great talents and died poor or unrecognized.

The arrogant artist that I am , I graduated from one of the most prestigious photography schools in the world (Brooks Institute of Photography). I too have spent YEARS on top of an UNGODLY amount of money (I'll be paying off that tuition for the rest of my life) learning and practicing the art of retouching.

The problem is; as simple economics will tell us... a craft, service, or products 'worth' is largely determined by what the consumer is willing to pay for it. For good or ill, our market is becoming over-crowded.. And individuals all over the word, irregardless of what country they call home, have the same sized brains with the ability to learn such a craft.. And, some are willing to do it for less.

In a perfect 'blur-free' world- retouch artists as a whole would set a relative 'price' to discourage our art from becoming a commodity. If this happened, we'd all be sittin' pretty doing what we love eh..? But, it's the nature of competition in combination with technology... there's just no such thing as your 'local artist' anymore.

I think Benny put it best..
Quote:
Let me be the first to tell you that life is not fair and the world of capitalism is quite cruel.
No matter how hard we fight it- the democratization of retouching and other crafts/services is, all to say, inevitable. Hell, doctors have gained the ability of performing a surgery on a patient halfway around the world at an astoundingly discounted rate! The greater part of our market wants everything faster and cheaper (discluding the cover of Glamour, a Gucci ad, etc.).. and there is someone willing to supply that demand (whether we like it or not).
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2008, 12:28 AM

i'm curious, did your school explain what UCR is?..i only ask as a recent co-worker didn't know what that term meant and she had a bachelors degree in photography...
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2008, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayday View Post
Problem is not many big business people have morals when it comes to making money. They just want to make more money and quickly!

I don't agree.... move to India if you think they have it so good. lol

The game IS FAIR. They charge that but they live in India!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2008, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelzombie View Post
i'm curious, did your school explain what UCR is?..i only ask as a recent co-worker didn't know what that term meant and she had a bachelors degree in photography...
Personally, I wouldn't expect a photographer to fully understand or even know UCR, unless he/she is educated in or has worked in pre press.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs