RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Outsourcing Retouching Services To India?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2008, 06:36 AM

Re: Outsourcing Retouching Services To India?

Unfortunately there will always be outsourcing to cheap labor and we are all guilty of using it in some form ,like buying things made in china because its cheaper and we can save some money
but it takes jobs from here or somewhere So like Benny said its the way it is
just my opinion
zganie
Old 01-24-2009, 10:30 PM

The only things that cannot be outsoruced are: 1) materials 2) skills.

For point one, retouchers could become photographers, for number 2, retouchers could become some kind of Scott Kelby, you know XD

Not bragging, but I'm a retoucher from Argentina and I'm selected by buyers between 400 retouchers all over the world, just 2 times and going with the same clients for long time... 1 from the US an the other from the U.K.

The question is: how much can be outsorced?
The answer is scary: there are tons of chinesses and indians!

So well... Life's cost in Argentina are much more than in India or China, so I will be smoked too.
However mates, reputation, personality, style, skills and confidence is something that a factory cannot process. Factories are factories, we're individuals and we will finish working for individuals.

Just to keep in mind, a quote I will try to translate: "Fame means that everybody knows you, prestige, just the ones who cares"

Go for prestige!

PS: I live in a third world country, and I kick asses...
Old 01-24-2009, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zganie View Post
Unfortunately there will always be outsourcing to cheap labor and we are all guilty of using it in some form ,like buying things made in china because its cheaper and we can save some money
but it takes jobs from here or somewhere So like Benny said its the way it is
just my opinion
zganie
Absolutely right... I'm proud my camera is made in Japan =D
Old 01-24-2009, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
You've been around pre press too long. I'm sure it's discussed in their schools at one point, but it's probably put into the same section in the brain that you and I put calculus or 17th century poetry.
I'm guessing most photographers are self educated, anyway. Look how they treat our little profession. Like that guy who placed the ad for jewelery retouching here and expected quality for, what, 2 minutes a pic..........
Bunch of pretty boy glamour dummies
Some enterprises outsource overseas, others do another much more intelligent way to outsource.

I live in Argentina and nowadays you can see a lot of studios from Spain and USA stablished in Argentina. They just grab some people from here, train them and all the material goes to their respective countries in a snap.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:44 PM

Something related to plates?
Old 01-26-2009, 01:41 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by endlesssummer View Post
does anybody know overseas retouching companies? iŽd like to check the quality
endless-

I'm familiar with GSL Graphic Solutions http://gslusa.com/. Their deal is that the Thailand facility is managed by US and Euro prepress pro's. They train the locals right out of college- before they learn bad retouching habits. The company is run as professionally as any I know of.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:59 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayday View Post
under color removal is when you take out CMY & replace it with black to reduce your ink limit. Best used on images that are more mono in feel when you don't want colour to shift on press causing a cast.
That's GCR. UCR is almost the same thing, except the replacement is limited to dark neutral colors.

By the way, this is the sort of thing that "color retouchers" deal with every day- to get the best possible reproduction on commercial presses and web ROB ads. Which is why it's generally not a good idea to have your photographer (or a lot of creative retouchers, for that matter), retouch/prepare ads for print. But that's a whole 'nuther thread. (OK, everybody get pissed now)
Old 01-26-2009, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by endlesssummer View Post
does anybody know overseas retouching companies? iŽd like to check the quality
I have seen many examples provided by people from India, and the 90% really sucks, however, that 90% goes to India. Also, most Indians don't speak English well enough. I have a couple of clients from USA and UK and they are very grateful that I'm able to write/speak English quite well.

A regular Indian says, for example "Can be done, see private message for detail". That's the most common one, but, when describing the job I cannot get a word. There are not connectors between words, tehre are lot of gramatical erros and sentences has no sense in most of the cases.

What they usually do is literally horrible, not only by lacking on the skills, also tasteless.

In Argentina is even worst, the same workers from the supermarket use to take the pictures of products for the brochures... You can see the vapor lamps reflected in the shinny products! A total WB mess...

Last edited by Quantum3Studio; 07-27-2009 at 12:02 AM.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:29 AM

hi
This world is new for me so it will be hurry to say anything about this.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:40 AM

If you are like most Internet marketers you often find yourself wearing a variety of hats. Those involved in the industry of Internet marketing are a hard working breed by nature and are typically not afraid to roll up their sleeves and become involved in all aspects of their marketing campaign. From brainstorming to develop a niche to designing aesthetically appealing and well optimized websites and from writing scintillating website content and intriguing press releases to remaining active on industry message boards, Internet marketers do it all. However, problems arise as the individuals become more successful. Their niche markets begin to thrive and increase in number and completing all of these different tasks for several different niches is no longer feasible. This is when it is important to know what aspects to outsource to other qualified individuals. This article will take a look at outsourcing both copywriting and website design.

eliza

outsourcing uk jobs
Old 07-23-2009, 11:30 AM

I think the rate overall is coming down, unless one has top notch clients, like automobiles and Chanel, those rates stay up, but for everyone in the middle and lower end we don't have a choice but to lower our rate. Jewelry retouching which is what I do, is something that's so specific, that perhaps being an artist and treating it as doing a painting helps, that kind of attitude would reflect in your work and make you stand out.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:41 PM
Patron

I think the only thing that could reverse this trend is when the overseas workers wake up and start demanding more for their services. Can they work this cheaply forever? Then the backlash will be a reversal of the outflow to using local workers instead, as someone mentioned many posts earlier.
Old 07-26-2009, 07:12 PM

Well, Bush W. didn't want us buying cheaper priced prescription drugs through Canadian Mail Order because we needed to insure the drugs were properly made and research was properly funded here in the united states. Come to find out most of the drug ingredients come from, yes, you guessed it, CHINA. Goes to show, some industries still control prices in spite of globalization and have the Government's backing.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:08 AM

Indeed, I'm quite affraid China will rule the world, or may be that already begun. The fights between big countries never stopped and considering how have grew the size of the China Imperium and economy, I think we're dead. From balloons to high tech... China provides all the stuff...
Old 09-25-2009, 05:28 PM

Newbie Re: Outsourcing Retouching Services To India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelzombie View Post
i only expect schooled photogs to know what it is, i don't expect them to understand it..what on earth do they learn for 4 years?
Pixelzombie, I went to a 4 year school, studied photography, and I'm prepared to give you a rundown of what the experience entails. I happen to have worked in prepress during the summers, so, I'm qualified to discuss what 4 year schools don't entail, too.

At the higher-end schools, those with elite, i.e. selective, reputations, theory is stressed over technique. For example, every year great photographers with compelling portfolios come out of Yale's program well versed in Jean Baudrillard's notion of simulacra but not being able to read the histogram on their digital cameras. I don't think I've ever met a photographer from an elite school who had all that much to say about technique, yet, it's their pics dominating in the museums, galleries and magazines.

Pixelzombie, do you know the difference between simulacra and simulacrum? If so, you might qualify for an editorial spread or a gallery show!

Now, for discussing those details of prepress that were absolutely unavailable to us in 4 year BFA programs: You can get a buzz from chewing on balls of certain old fashioned transparent tapes; a lot of prepress and press guys are bitter alcoholics.