RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Outsourcing Retouching Services To India?

Old 09-09-2008, 08:57 AM

Re: Outsourcing Retouching Services To India?

That depends on if you intend to go to press with your image
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2008, 11:26 AM

A book that might be enlightening regarding our current economic situation is 'The Shock Doctrine, the Rise of Disaster Capitalism' by Naomi Klein.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2008, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodegaGo View Post
if only to further derail the thread:

doesn't all the UCR and GCR thing become obsolete, since we're now mostly retouching in RGB, and then converting CMYK to print?
whenever you convert to cmyk you are applying some either ucr or gcr unless you are outputting your Dmax at 400%...
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2008, 12:43 AM

I don't believe I saw any posts about the rising value of Asian currencies against the dollar (or the sinking dollar to the Asian currencies). I have a client that has moved printing from Asia to the United States because of the currency changes (along with other rising costs). This is an opportunity for us if we stay alert. I had another clients that was wringing his hands over the Rupee's rise against the dollar. He started doing more programming in house! Have you (in the US) considered asking folks in the European Union to outsource retouching to you?

The people of India deserve to experience wealth (and the destruction of their environment if they don't stay on top of it). It's Asia's turn to rise in world prominence. So we are going to need to learn to work more with less. Despite the markets right now, they are going to be the big boys within the next 25-50 years.

As a US-based full-time self-employed retoucher since 1999, here's some points I have realized:

1. Photo restoration is hardly worth one's time because of the outsourcing. Unless you can do it fast and/or specialize in a specific style, be prepared to give up making lots of money doing it yourself. Outsource or quit.

2. Commercial retouching (Business to business with ad agencies, photographers and publishers) is where a US provider has a good chance. However, you MUST be prepared to average no more than $35/hour, be proactive with your customers and do everything they ask 100%. Staying in touch via phone and email on a regular basis is critical. Ask them to complete a survey after each project and then give them a discount on their next invoice if they complete it.

3. Be flexible and innovative: Find niche markets and specialize. You've got to stand out without compromising yourself.

4. Organize. I see some posts alluding to a retoucher's "guild." and a set of standards. We might even be able to get an ISO guideline for all the nuances like GCR, UCR and plate blending, ethical guidelines, etc. APAG (http://www.apag.net/) has attempted to do something like this, but they need more participation (and possibly a modification of their mission to include prepress along with better alliances with publishers and folks like NAPP).

5. Keep marketing. Sales, sales, sales.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2008, 08:14 AM

A little Warren Buffett wisdom for tough times:

"In his letter to shareholders in March, 2005, Warren Buffet predicted that in another 10 years’ time the net ownership of the US by outsiders would amount to $11 trillion. “Americans … would chafe at the idea of perpetually paying tribute to their creditors and owners abroad. A country that is now aspiring to an ‘ownership society’ will not find happiness in - and I’ll use hyperbole here for emphasis - a ’sharecropper’s society’.”"

He predicted this little implosion going on right now in '02 by calling derivatives "financial weapons of mass destruction", so, listen up. He ain't the richest guy in the world for nuthin'.

Last edited by Benny Profane; 09-29-2008 at 11:28 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-07-2008, 07:36 AM

Unfortunately there will always be outsourcing to cheap labor and we are all guilty of using it in some form ,like buying things made in china because its cheaper and we can save some money
but it takes jobs from here or somewhere So like Benny said its the way it is
just my opinion
zganie
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2009, 11:30 PM

The only things that cannot be outsoruced are: 1) materials 2) skills.

For point one, retouchers could become photographers, for number 2, retouchers could become some kind of Scott Kelby, you know XD

Not bragging, but I'm a retoucher from Argentina and I'm selected by buyers between 400 retouchers all over the world, just 2 times and going with the same clients for long time... 1 from the US an the other from the U.K.

The question is: how much can be outsorced?
The answer is scary: there are tons of chinesses and indians!

So well... Life's cost in Argentina are much more than in India or China, so I will be smoked too.
However mates, reputation, personality, style, skills and confidence is something that a factory cannot process. Factories are factories, we're individuals and we will finish working for individuals.

Just to keep in mind, a quote I will try to translate: "Fame means that everybody knows you, prestige, just the ones who cares"

Go for prestige!

PS: I live in a third world country, and I kick asses...
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2009, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zganie View Post
Unfortunately there will always be outsourcing to cheap labor and we are all guilty of using it in some form ,like buying things made in china because its cheaper and we can save some money
but it takes jobs from here or somewhere So like Benny said its the way it is
just my opinion
zganie
Absolutely right... I'm proud my camera is made in Japan =D
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2009, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
You've been around pre press too long. I'm sure it's discussed in their schools at one point, but it's probably put into the same section in the brain that you and I put calculus or 17th century poetry.
I'm guessing most photographers are self educated, anyway. Look how they treat our little profession. Like that guy who placed the ad for jewelery retouching here and expected quality for, what, 2 minutes a pic..........
Bunch of pretty boy glamour dummies
Some enterprises outsource overseas, others do another much more intelligent way to outsource.

I live in Argentina and nowadays you can see a lot of studios from Spain and USA stablished in Argentina. They just grab some people from here, train them and all the material goes to their respective countries in a snap.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2009, 11:44 PM

Something related to plates?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs