RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Outsourcing Retouching Services To India?

Old 10-08-2009, 01:11 PM

Re: Outsourcing Retouching Services To India?

Looks like he told you. Might add a few things from my humble and ill-informed observations, going there on holiday once: Beautiful country, feeling of a people pulling themselves out of inconceivable poverty, with hard work and resilience.

http://www.indiamike.com/india/humou...-india-t14893/
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2009, 01:33 PM

So i have decided to start doing retouching at 50 cents a photo! Just because im tired of seeing this thread pop up and up and up again over the last year.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markzebra View Post
Looks like he told you. Might add a few things from my humble and ill-informed observations, going there on holiday once: Beautiful country, feeling of a people pulling themselves out of inconceivable poverty, with hard work and resilience.

http://www.indiamike.com/india/humou...-india-t14893/
Well... that was what I was expecting. Many replies in that forum, but enough sustancial to read them all (meaning just the first 2 pages were enough). If I would be an indian, I would probably will proud of that, and of course, I would be proud of the philosophy and religion from there, and the sense of peace and meditation and how to achieve those virtues in the daily life.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2009, 11:31 PM

I want to turn the page toward fair business practices active in the USA and operating an environment of competitive, smaller family type businesses. Months back, there was a documentary that focused on the Wall-Mart Corporation that discussed how Wall-Mart would want to move into a city, but many of the residents and business owners were against them coming to their hometowns. They had seen what had happened to other cities when Wal-Mart set up a store and then the mom and pop hardware stores, goods and services, etc. could not compete after generations of families were successful doing business with their local friends and clients. Wal-Mart maybe the largest retailer in the USA so far, but at what price of the result to the smaller communities to operate in?

So is it fair for large corporations to open up their business but cause other, older established business in the community to fold up and die? On the other hand, Wall-Mart employs thousands of workers where ever they operate.

Wasn't Microsoft in some lawsuits in the past about FTC issues, anti-trust violations, but mainly the concern of being labeled a monopoly? Apparently smaller software companies couldn't stay in business competing with the Microsoft giant. What about Ma Bell, wasn't there some kind of monopoly issues that caused the breakup of the phone company Goliath?

What happened when Jimmy Hoffa, Teamsters supporter, boss that stood up for better working conditions and wages for truck drivers, longshoreman and warehouse workers? I'm just focusing on Mr. Hoffa's pluses he did, not the negatives he was mixed up in.

Also, please if you are Indian, don't take this issue personally. It's not meant to be. American companies have interests in many other countries throughout the world. There is certainly a lot of manufacturing and assembly jobs in China and sold in America. Apple Computer is one example, and my MacBook was made there.

American owned company Nike had their shoes produced mainly from young girls in Taiwan for something like 47 cents an hour or day, something like that. And during the Bush Admin, the US government wanted to outsource the security business to protect the commerce ports in So California to the United Arab Emirates. until there was a huge public outcry. Why couldn't an American company have gotten the contract and provided our own US citizens the jobs? Those ports are on our ground, our own hood, come on.

See, the whole climate of fair business practices is not meant to have the finger pointed to India, China, Korea, any overseas company who is contracted by the US where they can get cheaper labor and production and many other perks. This thread's purpose I think, is discovering some ideas and answers on what will it take for the US and overseas companies to provide a fair, competitive business climate so more people can have jobs, pay their bills and not be run out of business because of monopolies, low-ball pricing, sub-standard working conditions and a united, healthy economic environment.

And again, please accept our apologies if we have offended any citizens of India or any other overseas countries. This thread was never meant to become a personal attack on any individual workers. It's not the worker, it's the system we take issues with and what we can do to make some improvements.

I read Alvin Toffler's prophetic book, Future Shock years back, and mot of what he predicted has happened or is happening as future moves forward. An idealist, a bit I am, my influences reading Plato's The Republic got me thinking.

BTW, we have more people on the planet now that at any other time in history and growing. If the current population doubles in 10-20 years, can the world's business and educational institutions train and prepare literally 8 billion job positions and companies the world over? Look at the unemployment figure today and how many banks and businesses have folded. We have literally 100-1000 people out of work looking to fill only one or two openings out there now. And of course, many talented high level retouchers and photographers seeking work. Well anyway. good luck and prosperity to us all who wish to work and have a place to do so.

Last edited by SteveB2005; 10-08-2009 at 11:56 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2009, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB2005 View Post
<snip>This thread was never meant to become a personal attack on any individual workers. It's not the worker, it's the system we take issues with and what we can do to make some improvements.<snip>
Well said SteveB2005.

We as workers have little or no say over what these large International Corporations decide to do when it comes to "Globalization" policy. Our governments usually go along with what the Global Giants want in regard to trade between countries. What is good for these corporations is not necessarily good for their workers or others that feel the effects through job loss or reduced compensation.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2009, 06:28 AM

Wallmart is insane. The less sellers, the more consumers, that's their equation. Become a consumer and stop selling. And what about the "jobs" it creates? All the people working in Wallmart are just meaningless zombies without a life, without a vocation, their just drained from society, like homeless but with different faces and look, because they're damn condemned to compulsively consume and they never will get some education or self-awareness because wallmart blinds and dumbs its workers. Fuck Wallmart!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2009, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum3 View Post
<snip> *<snip>uck Wallmart!
Well said, Quantum3.

What rhymes with Duck, is actually an old German word which refers to plowing/seeding the farm fields. Has something to do with planting seeds.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2009, 11:32 AM

so i though id give my 2 cents about the whole India thing...

first of all of course designcafe is defensive, everybody would be. in fact i'm not indian at all and i was offended by some of the things said in here.

no country is perfect. i'm both american and croatian and both of those countries have plenty to be ashamed of but also proud of. Quantum are you proud of Argentina? If we spent half as much time talking about argentinas problems as indias I think you wouldn't like that very much.... And unless you've lived in india and experienced the so-called "problems" I dont see how you have a very credible opinion on the matter...

India has brought many wonderful things to this world and I really hope to go there someday to see it first hand.

If you're a freelancer in the west and you lost work to an Indian or Chinese or whatever contractor. You can't blame them for taking your work. You need to position yourself to provide a service that cant be provided by your competitors doesn't matter if they're down the street or around the world.

I know its hard to compete against the prices from developing countries. All that means you have to figure out how to break into the market with higher rates.

The coke thing earlier in the thread made me laugh.. you think the profits from selling coke globally aren't creating jobs in the US?? trust me if a new law came out that prevented coke and pepsi or whatever from distributing their products in india and china and everywhere else, there would be huge layoffs here in the states right away. so really in the grand scheme the money retouchers in India are taking away is microscopic in comparison from all the money were milking from all over the world.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2009, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janko View Post
so i though id give my 2 cents about the whole India thing...

Quantum are you proud of Argentina? If we spent half as much time talking about argentinas problems as indias I think you wouldn't like that very much.... And unless you've lived in india and experienced the so-called "problems" I dont see how you have a very credible opinion on the matter...
I knew that question would be brought. I think the question shouldbe what's is worth of pride? For example, I have red a link posted by Markzebra where many people talks about the good things found in India. Any person could be proud of any matter in relation with X subject, it could me said. So, an Indian could be proud of X about its country. I figured this "formula" last night. In conclusion, pride is quite subjective and it depends on our personal values. I personally value Education, Respect, Ethic, Health and Justice. What I would like to be proud of? This also could be another question.
I value a lot those nouns, specially ethics and education, which is the corner stone of all the others.

Going back to your question.

I'm not proud of Argentina because I don't have nothing to be proud of and it's very sad, you know? Our health care system is a total mess, our education system is another mess, retired people is treated like the worst garbage, poverty is used to gain votes in elections, politicians are damn corrupted, the non respect is every day fact, crimes everywhere and delinquents are not judged, drugs for every where, ignorance, strikes, government institutions are another mess (the list is HUGE). I care about these things. I know many people, specially latin americans, say the U.S. is bad and they want to rule the world and blah, blah, blah, but I have a great admiration and respect toward the U.S. Every year lot of big brains move abroad from Argentina to Canada, U.S.A. and Europe, so it must be a reason. Famous people such Borges and Piazzola did it. the Dr. René Favaloro, who created the Bypass, killed him self because the country ungratitude/ungratefulness. Nikola Tesla, just an aparent little scientist from Serbia (the most genius man in the history of humanity!) moved abroad to the U.S. and nowadays, most of high tech devices are based in Tesla (it happens in many countries, not just in Argentina). So, Argentina is similar to India in some aspects, what changes is the people and the whole culture and how this conditions the human behavior. Argentineans are familiarized to do whatever they want, not what they should or what they must. Ask an aergentinean to pick up a paper of the streets and be prepared to: be insulted, be punched, be killed or be ignored. Ask to an argentinean to walkout the dog with a plastic bag, it will think you're crazy. The list is HUGE, from the most insignificant thing till the most bigger and important ones. If at least, argentinean behavior would be polite and paceful like indians, at least, I would be proud of that.
My admiration also goes to Canada and Europe and I'm going to Europe next year, planning to live there so I'm working a lot for this. I DO LOVE ORDER and I really care a shit about the "latin passion" and "frienship" those things are just lies. I found much more friendship beign helped to PROGRESS! As Alan, Sheldon and Abe helped me a lot to evolve and I have this people in my heart. Just see how grateful is the people who moved to the U.S. and Europe, they work the best because they're treated with dignity. Somebody could say they're margined because they're inmigrants, but Argentina margination aganist its citizens is ten thousand worst.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janko View Post
If you're a freelancer in the west and you lost work to an Indian or Chinese or whatever contractor. You can't blame them for taking your work. You need to position yourself to provide a service that cant be provided by your competitors doesn't matter if they're down the street or around the world.

I know its hard to compete against the prices from developing countries. All that means you have to figure out how to break into the market with higher rates.
You're right about that and through Experience I found what was wrong. Thanks to these guys (Alan, Sheldon and Abe) I found many faliures in my works, so I started doing these much perfect and I also did a better portfolio. Right now I'm getting more and more clients from everywhere and I just get amazed when I win projects where my price is 1000% more expensive than the average and where the competence is always above 120 retouchers. Not bragging, just statics and I will become much better! Becuase I have the spirit! Or my name is not Øuantum3!!!!!!!! =D haha!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2009, 08:51 AM

1 positive thing about argentina is the meat and the food from the farms because it's equisite and we have the best farm products on almost the whole world, same with wines, honey, cheese, olive oil etc... But I'm not proud of that. And by the way, since a bit more than a year, Argentina isn't exporting anymore, and farms are dying because the actual president we have here, who's a damn comunist such as Chavez but I don't know who's worst, really, if the brainless of Chavez or the Big Brain of Néstor Kirchnner and his wife, is not allowing exportations (because the presidential couple wants to weak the farms for some personal things, such a law the government couldn't win about raising the taxes to gaines above 50% and they are trying to weak the farms in order to buy them for peanuts). Now Brazil has the lead.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs