RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Time to get a raise...

Old 09-20-2008, 08:34 PM

Time to get a raise...

Hi everyone !

I'm glad to join this website. It's actually my first post. I hope you guys will be able to help me.

I live and work in Montreal. I've been working for the same post-production house for the last 3.5 years. I currently earn 50k and work 40 hours a week. 3 weeks off per year., plus 2 weeks on christmas. The last raise I got was on august 07 (+18k). I do some freelance jobs on occasions where I get around 125$ per hour.

Lately, I felt like it was the time to either get a raise or get back to freelance. So here's my question: Considering the market in Montreal and my experience, am I crazy to ask for 80k? What's your opinion? According to you guys, what's the minimum I should accept |expect ?

I've 4 years of experience in retouching. I mostly do seamless composites, but I can easily retouch a fashion beauty shot when I'm asked to. I work mainly with photoshop and some 3d softwares (realflow, c4d, vue). I also do a lot of color timing for tv adds.

Hope you can help me!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-20-2008, 11:38 PM

Re: Time to get a raise...

in this economy that seems like a lot to ask for, especially with only 4 years of experience...
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-20-2008, 11:58 PM

Um, sir, read the front page of your paper today. No, not the static about the American election campaign, nothing of value there to see. I'm talking about the extremely precarious state of the world financial system right now. After mulling that over, I'd highly recommend keeping a full time job with 5 weeks off a year and other benefits.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2008, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
Um, sir, read the front page of your paper today. No, not the static about the American election campaign, nothing of value there to see. I'm talking about the extremely precarious state of the world financial system right now. After mulling that over, I'd highly recommend keeping a full time job with 5 weeks off a year and other benefits.
sorry mate, I hope this crises will show that the rest of the world is fine and will carry on business as usual... times they are a-changing!

If you feel you deserve a raise, go for it.... although a steady job (with the benefits of it) and spare time for free-lance seems pretty cool to me!!!!

good luck!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2008, 08:15 AM

thank you all for sharing your thoughts.

I agree with most of you, 80k might be too much to ask in Montreal. But I'm still confused: I don't know anyone with the same experience who has a steady job, so it's kinda hard for me to evaluate what would be a decent raise.

In that case, what's the minimum you would accept?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2008, 12:37 PM

How easily can you be replaced?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2008, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_fuzz View Post
sorry mate, I hope this crises will show that the rest of the world is fine and will carry on business as usual... times they are a-changing!
Oh boy, do you really think Brazil's economy won't be affected by this? Please. Just because you guys have your little cars running around on sugar cane juice doesn't isolate you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-22-2008, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
Oh boy, do you really think Brazil's economy won't be affected by this? Please. Just because you guys have your little cars running around on sugar cane juice doesn't isolate you.
hey mister, chill out!

all I am saying is that the world is not the same as 30-40 years ago, it will affect, of course, but not as nearly as it would back then... you cannot deny it!
first south america is working a lot more locally... second, the export market from Brazil (as with a lot of other developing countries) has shifted hands!
so yes... our little cars will still be running, so will a lot of other cars in the world!

peace out!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-22-2008, 09:06 AM

Sorry for the delay...

Markzebra:

Honestly, I don't know anyone who could do my job. I mean in Montreal. There's a lot of blemishes removers in town but not a lot of good retouchers. Good candidates are pretty hard to find. I meet new retouchers on a regular basis. They say they could do my job, but they instantly freeze as soon as they get face to face with a blank canvas.

Moreover, I've said I had 4 years of experience but since I was working 80 hours a week the first two years, I think I can say 6 years of experience...

So I'd say I could be replaced, but it would mean to find a good candidate and train him a couple of years. What do you think, is my boss willing to pay an extra 30k to avoid this?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-22-2008, 10:29 AM

I think that asking for a 30k raise is completely absurd for someone making 50K. You're asking them to give you a more than half your salary raise. If I was your boss I would tell you NO!!! then proceed to look for your replacement. You have 5 weeks off a year and a decent salary for someone with 4 years experience, plus still have time for freelance...you're getting greedy!
And just because you worked quite a bit your first couple years out doesn't mean you actually have 6 years experience. Most of us spent our first couple years working ridiculous hours, that's just expected.
If you really are as irreplaceable as you think then ask for a reasonable raise. Ask for a 15% raise (which is substantial raise) over a 60% one. Montreal is a decent sized city and I wouldn't be surprised when someone just as good, if not better, takes your place.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs