RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

London Trainee to Junior Role Wanted

Old 09-21-2008, 04:59 PM

Smile London Trainee to Junior Role Wanted

Hi,

I am a young creative guy living in London and looking to make the move into retouching.

I am extremely excited and enthusiastic as to joining the industry and know the basics, but want to get into serious fashion retouching. I love the industry and I have a fine eye for aesthetics.

I work on my photoshop at home, but know I will need more meaty experience, but don't really know where to start. I am 24 and have worked mostly in finance up until now, but have some minor studio and art experience where I was exposed to the industry which granted me the time to establish whether this is for me and I am totally sure it is!

I have seen some horrible work of people claiming to be retouchers blurring and painting left right and centre, but I have been exposed to some truly amazing work and techniques and want to persue a career as a serious retoucher doing it in a more European rather than American approach, retaining texture and working subtly but for dramatic effect. Hard to put into words, but will know it when I see it, although it is up to the client at the end of the day and will strive for versatility too!

I think it is very competitive and people are very reluctant to share their knowledge and give a new guy a break. Cut-throat only begins to describe it, but I am keen and ambitious and know this is for me, so willing to work hard for an opportunity and willing to tread through the swamp at the bottom of the valley in order to reach the peak on the mountain on the other side!

Unpaid/low paid entry role is what I am looking for.

Any advise, tips, help or anything would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks,

Emile

(PS: I'm contactable on kilimeimili@yahoo.com)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2008, 06:52 PM

Re: London Trainee to Junior Role Wanted

Hello Emile,

I just wanted to let you know that here, at RetouchPro, you will find many generous, stimulating people that are willing to share their knowledge! Don't accept an unpaid job to learn. People won't take you seriously and most likely, you'd get stuck with creating simple, boring clipping paths!... I think you'll learn much more here in only a few months... Build your portfolio, learn as much as you can, make contacts and then, look for a job. This is my humble opinion. Looking forward to your participation!

Good luck!

BagLady
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-22-2008, 04:17 AM

Smile Re: London Trainee to Junior Role Wanted

Thanks BagLady! That is really helpful.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-22-2008, 07:50 AM

Re: London Trainee to Junior Role Wanted

You're welcome Emile! Please take into consideration the opinions of others (and your personal needs and goals) before making a work related decision... I gave you advice instinctively, and wouldn't want to guide you in the wrong direction! If you've received an offer to work for free, and feel that you might gain experience and exposure, then it might be what your looking for. I just wanted to express the fact that there is an abundance of useful information for every level of retouching here at RP. So feel free to ask lots of questions!!!

Ciao!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs