RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Ad agencies taking work in-house

Old 10-16-2008, 08:10 AM

Re: Ad agencies taking work in-house

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughSteenk View Post
In NYC, it's been happening unsuccessfully for the last 5 years. Most are failures. Most produce junk and the ADs realize this and push to go back outside. The In-house also doesn't pay like the boutique, not the reverse. Therefore, they can't get or keep good people and get prepress and junior retouchers and the work looks like. A lot of agencies in NY have tried and scrapped it after awhile.
Poor management. It will succeed eventually.

edit: Well, it COULD succeed if managed well. I've been in the corporate environment long enough to know how badly it can't be.

Last edited by Benny Profane; 10-16-2008 at 07:24 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-22-2009, 10:36 AM

It is an ever decreasing circle!

Photographers started retouching themselves years ago, to earn more $$$ out of the job.
Then the price war started! Now photographers are quite often expected to do retouching as part of the job! The only people that have won out of this are the agencies! Do you think they pass on savings to the client? NAH!

Now photographers are moaning when they can't do the retouching, cos they have no budget!

If everybody stuck to what they were good at, this would never of happened!

We have photographers, agencies and "fred's in sheds" retouchers, asking if we will drum scan, do certificated proofs, or even finish the crap retouching that they have tried to do themselves. Not a chance!

Or, worse still, they ask me how to do it! I tell em straight!

So any of you that have been involved in undercutting.. Tuff! What do you expect?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-22-2009, 10:57 AM

ftp-Jeff-
I've seen prep shops offer creative services and photography, photographers offer retouching and ad placements, and agencies offer the whole gamut.
You're right about people sticking to what they're good at, but everyone is scrambling to make a buck, (or in your case pound), and in the end everyone suffers because the final result is acceptance of lower standards.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-22-2009, 10:59 AM

Yep! It will get worse.... So will the work!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-24-2009, 09:11 AM

oops, double post.

Last edited by DJSoulglo; 06-24-2009 at 09:31 AM. Reason: double post
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-24-2009, 09:16 AM

well....

I am an inhouse retoucher The way we work at this moment is that I'm the only fulltime retoucher at our agency (180 amsterdam) and when jobs get too big for 1 person to handle (which is almost every project) we get people in from respected retouching houses.

For me I'm quite happy, I was trying to become a retoucher anyway, and my next step was to quit my job as a studio artist and then move to a retouching house, but then the opportunity came up to start a whole new production arm of our company and we jumped at it.

We do a lot of stuff, but we also use a lot of people, who get a good ammount of work from us. The only thing for us is that when I'm working on something, we make money instead of just giving it to someone else.

We set it up properly, have our own proofing etc and again we work with really good retouchers.

Sorry for everyone else, but for me it's been a lifesaver.

And ofc my work is worse than anyone else's because I work for an agency, you're right about that. Not every in-house retoucher is some intern that is just retouching with his copy of "Skin" in hand. Some people (myself included) actually worked as photographic assistants, studio artists (where you do a lot of creative lo-res retouching anyways), worked at retouching agencies or various other backgrounds.

Also it makes sense to have a person that has been making mechanicals and logos and what not and understands the requirements for bleed, delivery, adaptability to get into the retouching, because it speeds certain parts of the process up.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-24-2009, 04:04 PM

I work as as an in-house retoucher at an agency, we actually have 2 on staff...we get to do great creative work aside from the boring stuff....it can be a headache working w/freelancers when they dont know the workflow of your agency or have the opportunity to sit right next to production when they are meching files to the vendors and work face to face with AD's and CD's on a daily basis.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-25-2009, 03:01 AM

Just to say, I don't have any issues with people working in retouching in ad agencies, I'm sure there is loads of talented people out there....

Its just tough on independent companies when more and more of the ad work is taken away from us.. We do the editorial work to get the big(er) money jobs...

G
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-25-2009, 05:58 AM

I got a job as an in-house retoucher at a global ad agency as an escape route from the living hell of retouching for image libraries - which was how I started out.
I guess it depends on the agency and your managers, (my manager had previously run a very successful retouching house) but we did some really great creative work for big clients, we also did many, many, pack shots.
We would get work in all the time, retouched by other companies (some from very famous retouching companies) and photographers to be 'fixed' before it could be signed off, we had some real shockers. In the end though, through poor senior management the agency saw fit to get rid of our manager, meaning no one was bringing in new work, at which point the bottom fell out of the whole enterprise.
I moved into high end fashion and beauty retouching in a very small but successful company and saw things from the other side, working closely with photographers was new to me, and personally I now prefer this personal route, it works brilliantly for very subjective fashion and beauty.
But when it comes to big advertising campaigns which I also work on, you're always plunged into the murky world of Agencies, with way too many people making conflicting comments on the same job. The great thing about working in-house is that the many levels of art direction are all there in the building, problems and disagreements get thrashed out quicker, art directors can pop in and look at work, see proofs immediately, comment rounds don't have such a delay time and obviously, most importantly for the agency, it saves them money, as long as they are busy. If not they soon become a financial burden and are seen as the expensive option - as in the case of my old employers.
Personally I think that both in-house and independent companies will continue to work, as they offer a different service, one style appeals to photographer driven work, the other to big advertisers who need a more continuous management of the whole design process.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-25-2009, 08:38 AM

Did you work for Getty before they went belly up, at one point Anna?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs